Cannot establish incoming connections

valarthehk

All my completed torrents but the one im leeching show 0(x) in peers, (the one im leeching are all tagged with D or d)and every once in a while i will see 1(x) but it goes back down to 0 quite quickly. I am running v1.8.3, default settings for x/2mbit, windows firewall is off, verizon fios router firewall is off, the port check utility in utorrent tells me the port is open, have the green circle with checkmark, i manuall forwarded the port to my computer through router also. They are not poorly leeched torrents, I just cant seem to establish and maintain incoming connections. My upload speed as of the status bar at the bottom gets up to about 8kB/s when utorrent starts and then settles to ~2kB/s and stays there. About once an hour i see an incoming connection actually establish, but still, speeds of ~2kB/s. Speedtest reflects the 5/2 mbit connection im on

506442967.png

when i am not leeching but when i am downloading at 500kB/s speedtest gives me 1.5/1 mbit. 506448404.png

the download looks right, but i dont know if the upload should drop. This may just be the way speedtest measures connection speeds.

Just looking for help as id like to be able to seed :(

i just went and installed utorrent on laptop and mapped drives to point at this computer, and same thing, so its not computer related. So network overload could be the cause. I shall look into it and update soon.

*EDIT*

as for results, followed second link and did everything first link said, and the only ting that changed was i now have a triangle with the exclamation point in it 100% of them time, instead of only for a minute at startup and randomly (recently noticed) But i can still download at max speeds, and seeding hasnt really gotten any better.

*EDIT*

i have managed to maintain one connection on a torrent at 8kB/s, almost seems like a record, maybe it helped a bit? I dont understand why all of a sudden these settings needed to be applied though, but meh. Seems to help slightly.

Well, i really doubt that is the problem, and if they were, it wouldt be just limiting bndwidth, beuase i can barely even connect to anyone, and it would be a serious throttle to keep me at ~2-3kB 24/7

*EDIT* i called verizon and they said all ports were open and nothing shoudl be impeding anything about my connection, no throttling or shaping.

Yeah thats what i had figured. As to what it is im not too sure. But i will find it... eventually

*EDIT*

Found a cool looking tool called glasnost, to tell whether isp was throttling. i got the following as results

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6882) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 1759 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 1756 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 4194 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 4248 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10010) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 1737 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 1762 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 4210 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 4213 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6882) throttled?

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6882. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 4240 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 4210 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6882. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 1782 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 1737 Kbps. You can find details here.

*EDIT*

this leads me to believe its a client error. only thing that makes sense atm, assuming glasnost is correct.

Glasnost does not detect known throttling/disruption by some ISPs (Bell ADSL in Canada and BT Central ADSL in UK for example), as far as I know.

...So their detection methods are not completely reliable. It may also be the case that ISPs secretly allow Glasnost ips unthrottled.

Well, now I am connecting to two peers, and one i am uploading to at 60kB and the other at ~20. I still have 0(x) on every torrent but these two. Regarding

And if you turn on the debug column, you can see the number of half-open connections.

at http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=168770#p168770 which part of the debug columns is this? there are 3 numbers on the torrents, all of mine are 0|0|6. Also, the debug values under the peers tab at the bottom would be very helpful, as those are listed as 0|-1. From my experience, negative debug values usually point to something wrong.

uTorrent's Debug column:

The first number is the amount of half open connections being used at this moment by that particular torrent.

The second/middle number is the amount of extra upload slots uTorrent is allowing because of uploading too slowly versus upload speed max. (...only seems to work if you're uploading something at all and already have normal max upload slots.)

The third/last number is the max allowed upload slots uTorrent is allowing for that torrent.

Just had a revelation... this happened around the same time i upgraded to sp2... vista 64 ultimate. And any idea what the 0|-1 debug values under the peers tab at the bottom means? would be greatly appreciated. But since the first number stays at 0, that means i cant even get any half open connections... great. Also utorrent went from 6 slots for every torrent this morning to anywhere from 2-4 slots/torrent. Now im really confused. Throttling wouldnt actively kill all incoming connections (i mean technically it could, but i havent heard of anything this extreme) and I can seem to establish one or two evey once in a while...

I'm on ComCast, they were using Sandvine to break/disconnect peer connections while seeding.

If (in debug in top window for torrent) the 1st number is staying 0, then there's probably no peer/seed ips to connect to. ...Which means uTorrent may not be getting peer/seed ip lists from the tracker/s like it should! Yes, ISPs can block that too: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58932

If uTorrent is decreasing the max number of upload slots per torrent, then it means you're connecting to something correctly...AND you may have too many torrents active at once for your limited upload speed.

Were it possible at all, can you test on another computer on your ISP and/or test your computer on another ISP?

Archived