Unable to upload or connect to peers after downloading has finished

Zer0_II

I've had an ongoing problem with utorrent not allowing me to upload or connect to peers once a download has finished for a couple of months.

I am able to download just fine, and I am also able to upload while I'm downloading, although my upload speeds aren't the best during that time. As soon as I finish downloading a file my upload speed drops to 0, and I am not able to connect to any peers. I have selected torrents with a good ratio of seeders to leechers (Linux distros), which many people are connected to, and yet the problem persists. I have read the FAQ, recommended settings guide, Ultima's sticky post on speed issues, the conservative settings guide, searched the forums along with various websites, and I have yet to find a working solution. I'll do my best to give a thorough rundown of all the steps I have taken to solve this problem.

I am currently using the latest stable version of utorrent (1.8.3). I did a fresh install of Windows XP along with Service Pack 2. I disabled the Windows firewall, and am currently using Comodo Personal Firewall 3.0 with the recommended settings found on the Comodo forums for utorrent. I have tried using other firewalls, and even none at all, and still get the same results regardless. I am not using an antivirus at the moment, although I know my system is spyware/virus free.

I ran a speed test at DSL reports and it reported that my download speed was 4699 Kb/s and my upload speed was 490 Kb/s. I have set my download and upload limit is 70% of those speeds as suggested. I have enabled UPnP port mapping and NAT-PMP port mapping (I have also tried disabling these), and unticked the Windows Firewall exception since I am using Comodo. My "global maximum connections" and "maximum connected peers per torrent" are both set to 200 (I have tried lowering/raising these numbers in increments as the guide suggested), and the number of upload slots per torrent is set to 20. I have patched the TCPIP.SYS file to increase the maximum amount of half open connections to 50. I have DHT network, DHT for new torrents, Peer Discovery, ask tracker for scrape information, and Peer Exchange all enabled (I have also tried disabling the DHT settings). I have tried setting protocol encryption to both "enabled" and "forced" (It is currently set to enabled) and have "allow incoming legacy connections" checked. Under the advanced options I have peer.lazy_bitfield set to true.

The icon at the bottom which displays the status of incoming connections is usually a yellow triangle, although I will occasionally see the green circle, yet I am unable to connect to peers or upload regardless of the status. I have ran the port checker on the speed guide menu and it report OK - Port 46189 is open and accepting connections. I ran the Glasnost test to see if my ISP (Charter) was throttling traffic, and the result was "There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads.". This problem occurred regardless of which browser I used.

At one point this was not the case, so I tried to forward my ports; however, whenever I connect to the IP address of my modem it presents me with a login screen and asks for a password in order to access the advanced options needed to set up port forwarding. My modem is a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2, and I am not behind a router.I tried calling my Cable/Internet company (Charter) and they weren't very helpful. They told me that the modem wouldn't be blocking my ports, and they told me that I should call Microsoft, despite the fact that I told them that it was an issue involving a bittorrent client. They said that they were only responsible for ensuring that I had a connection, and that any software issues would need to be resolved with the vendor. I asked if they could set up port forwarding for me, and they said they couldn't. As I mentioned before though, the port checker tool reports that everything is okay and the port I am using is open and accepting connections.

I have also tried all of the solutions offered in Ultima's guide, and reset my modem, and also restarted utorrent and my computer between each step. I have also tried using the settings from the "Conservative Settings Guide" without any luck. I am at a complete loss as to what to do now, and I am hoping that someone here can come up with a solution to this very frustrating problem. If there is any more information I can provide I would be happy to do so whether it be information, a HijackThis log or screenshots.

...You may have a software firewall interfering with uTorrent?

I believe your ISP is hostile to BitTorrent traffic. Try what I recommended here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=46778

For an example of more extreme "stealth" settings in uTorrent: (long-winded explanation of ISP throttling)

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58714

NOTE: Those settings probably won't really work for you, they were a special case for a wireless ISP!

Thank you for the reply Switeck. I do not believe that my software firewall is the problem. As I mentioned in my initial post, I am using the recommended settings associated with utorrent for my firewall (Comodo Personal 3.0), and I have also tried completely uninstalling my firewall and installing other firewalls, all without any change in the problem. I checked the list of ISPs that interfere with bittorrent traffic, and the chart said that my ISP (Charter) doesn't throttle bittorrent traffic, although it may limit the speeds of customers who use a high amount of bandwidth, which I do. I will try your suggestion and report back as soon as possible. Thank you once again for responding. In the meantime, if anyone else has any alternative solutions I'm certainly open to trying them. Please let me know if there is any additional information I can supply, as I am very eager to solve this problem as quickly as possible.

Edit: I followed the directions from the first link you provided and nothing changed. I neglected to take steps from the second link you posted since you said that the settings probably wouldn't work for me. Do you have any other suggestions?

Archived