uTorrent Auto Labeller

nslr

Hi, everyone!

For some time now, I've been missing the possibility to easily auto-load torrents into uTorrent and label these torrents with no user interaction.

Reading through these forums, I see, that I'm not alone, but with no other solutions readily available, I decided to make a small app of my own!

It's written in C#.net 3.5, and is as open-source as the libraries I use (Only Jayrock at the moment).

Setup:

When this small console application is started the first time, users must input the following:

uTorrent WebUI username, password and host-information (IP:Port).

If the IP is different from "localhost" or "127.0.0.1", the user must also input a local directory for the app to look for torrents in.

This means, that it is possible to run this app on a different PC than the one hosting uTorrent!

NOTE: This functionality has only been partially tested on a local network, and not at all over the internet. Theoretically, both should work just fine.

How it works:

Per default, if running on the PC with uTorrent, the app looks for new torrents in SUBFOLDERS of the "Directory to watch" folder. Whenever a new .torrent-file is added to ANY subfolder, the torrent is loaded into uTorrent, and given the label SUBFOLDERNAME

A little image to explain:

bee7d891dcc73815a801dbe92af4d579.png

Source and binaries available here:

Source@GITHub

Binaries

When downloading the binaries, just extract the contents to any folder and run "uAL.exe"

I'm not planning on making it any more advanced! If anyone would like to, please port it to PERL or Python for better multi-platform support.

Only tested on Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit), using the latest version of uTorrent 3

Updates:

2011-06-05

+ [feature/setting] Stop the torrent when done downloading

+ [debug] Tell the user what went wrong when failing to connect

+ [bugfix] Several bugs ironed out.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried running this on the local and a remote machine with no luck. After entering the settings I get "Could not connect to uTorrent. Please exit this program, start uTorrent, and try again."

Win 7 64-bit | Utorrent 2.2.1 | Web UI 0.382

Ah, my bad for not speciying.. I haven't tested this on other than uTorrent 3.0 (lastest version alpha/beta) - so there may be some trouble with uTorrent 2.x, which might use other connection-methods. I'm primaryli developing this for personal usage, but if I get the time, I'll look into backwards compatibility :)

Updated, added a setting and fixed some bugs.

If you experience connection-issues on uTorrent 2.x, please let me know what the debug info says, and I'll take a look at it..

Been getting a little excited about this software, so I'm currently working on a WPF gui for the app.. Don't expect it to be ready tomorrow (or in a month) though :)

Tried it again with 2.2.1. I'm sure with 3.0 due out soon this may not be worth the effort to fix, but here's what happened this time around:

Connecting to 127.0.0.1:8080

Could not connect to uTorrent. Please exit this program, start uTorrent, and try again.

########

# Error: Length cannot be less than zero.

Parameter name: length

# Source: mscorlib

########

Tried it again with 2.2.1. I'm sure with 3.0 due out soon this may not be worth the effort to fix, but here's what happened this time around:
Connecting to 127.0.0.1:8080

Could not connect to uTorrent. Please exit this program, start uTorrent, and try again.

########

# Error: Length cannot be less than zero.

Parameter name: length

# Source: mscorlib

########

I just tried it and got the same error. Locally and remotely.

I see you started working on the GUI (judging by the source at GIT), very nice!

Could you take a look at this potential bug?

Thanks, this was exactly what I have been looking for!

I couldnt get it to work when using 127.0.0.1 though. I didn't have time to look over the code that much so i just wrote a quick fix for it. The problem was it couldnt get the right directory from GetDownloadDir from TorrentAPI. Might take a look tomorrow and see if i can find why.

Running 3.0 build 25345 [32bit] on Windows 2008 R2. I would try with the latest build if it didnt get stuck on the "Downloading app.." screen.

Hmm, sounds a bit strange - what it actually does is, if you type in "localhost" it replaces it with "127.0.0.1".... sooo typing 127.0.0.1 should be all good :/

Anywho, about the uTorrent 2.x bug, I'm not gonna get any time to look at it in a forseeable future, I'm afraid.. Chances are, v3.x goes out of beta before i get the time.. Sorry about that :)

Yeah i noticed that. But i get the same result if i type 127.0.0.1 as if i type localhost. The problem lies in GetDownloadDir.

But overall its really unstable, crashed with System.IO.FileNotFoundException when i put a new file for it to download. I'll see if i can get the latest build running on my server, might solve that problem. Maybe the changelog can give me some input on why it crashes so much on this build of utorrent...

This should be something that's already included in uTorrent though. For me it would be a deal breaker, i would go with what ever software that could do this right away.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

hi, this looks like a brilliant little app that i need for now. i assume this function still isnt built into utorrent?

anyway, i have downloaded this software and it seems to work brilliant, but.. the only problem is, the command prompt window has to be open for it to work, is there anyway to start this hidden? and also can i do this so that it automatically starts with utorrent?

thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know what you mean with "Directory to watch". Do you mean the place where you download .torrent files, or the directory where the actual files are downloaded (movies, music..). If it is the first one, as far as i know, you can only have one directory which is monitored by utorrent for .torrent files. Or do you mean that we should download .torrent files in the same directory as the torrent content itself?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is a really useful plugin indeed. I have one feature request though. uTorrent normally deletes torrents from the watchfolder (at least, when you have that option checked). Is it possible for this program to do adapt to this option, ie deleting the torrent files when you have that option checked at the watchfolder settings?

• 2 years later...

Wow, this is a really useful plugin indeed. I have one feature request though. uTorrent normally deletes torrents from the watchfolder (at least, when you have that option checked). Is it possible for this program to do adapt to this option, ie deleting the torrent files when you have that option checked at the watchfolder settings?

Ditto, is it possible to make ual.exe delete the loaded torrents? From what I can tell it copies them to a temp folder and then load the torrents from there. I use Utorrent to handle the .torrents once they're loaded, so I'm having to manually deal with the laoded torrents that ual.exe handles.

btw great app, no idea why Utorrent.exe doesn't do this already!

• 1 month later...

Archived