"Proxy Connect Error: Connection Closed By Peer"... With A Twist...

Grim_Fandango

Okay, I know this problem has been asked many times, but I think this situation is unique setup-wise and other solutions posted (I've scoured the forums) haven't helped.

Up until recently, I've never been able to download torrents on my PC or use most applications which require internet access (a few exceptions include Skype, Pidgin and Google Talk). It's a complete pain in the butt... :( But let me explain why...

The setup at home is as follows... My father's PC is connected directly to the ADSL router giving him a direct connection to the internet. For all other computers in the house, including mine, we connect via a hub through his PC. This should work fine, but... He has an old version of Proxy+ installed on his PC that he's been using for years for many reasons, like local mail delivery (so if we send big e-mails to each other the proxy delivers them via LAN rather than via the internet), access rules, logs etc. Even though I've tried convincing him, he refuses to get rid of the Proxy+ program on his computer, meaning all connections are forced to go through the proxy for internet access. To be honest I have a fair knowledge, but I'm not overly clued up about networking in general.

Anyways, a few months back, I decided to try get torrents working on my PC. I battled for days, but eventually, I decided to go onto his PC directly and deactivate as many possible things holding me back as possible. When changing settings, I stumbled across the allowed ports settings, and tried unblocking all ports for all protocols (1-23365 for HTTP, HTTPS, Gopher, Telnet etc.). Still didn't work, but after searching these forums for a bit, I saw someone posting that you can't tell uTorrent to connect to the Proxy+ using HTTP and should rather use HTTPS on port 1080 for uTorrent when connecting to Proxy+, (I currently use HTTP proxy settings with port 4480 for my browsers and works perfectly, so tried that initially for uTorrent). Eureka! It worked like a dream, and I could finally download torrents for the first time. Alas, it was not to be, as a month or so and many many gigs of downloads down the line, it inexplicably stopped working, with all trackers giving me the following error: "Proxy Connect Error: Connection Closed By Peer" (Tried many different torrents). My first thought was that he had probably caught on and changed the settings back to what they were, so I went onto his PC and checked. All the settings were exactly the same as how I had left them, and still are. I've tried different torrent applications (half don't even allow a HTTPS connection to a proxy), I've tried playing around with ports, playing around with the Proxy+ settings... Everything I can think of, and still no luck. Here's the strange part though, In the meantime I've just been downloading torrents on his PC at night and leaving uTorrent hidden with the boss key during the day... uTorrent on his PC runs perfectly! By deduction, that leads me to assume that the proxy is the only possible cause for this grief, but nothing has changed on there! It's entirely possible that he found some way to stop it... But I'm completely lost as to how. Plus, he won't help me out because he doesn't want me downloading torrents at all (clogging up bandwidth). But I don't see the issue as I cap the up and down transfer rates, plus we have uncapped.

I hope someone here has any clue on where to go from here and ANY possible solutions, because I've racked my brains and I can't think of anything else to try. I hate that infernal proxy, I can't play games online, can't use Limewire, can't do online activations (eg. my legal copy of Crysis Warhead), nada.

If more information is needed, by all means, just ask, I'm just not sure how much is relevant. If someone can think of any subtle way to bypass the proxy without his knowledge or settings to look for to get it working again, I would really appreciate any input. Thanks in advance! :D

• 3 months later...
I know the solution. The problem is that your ISP is blocking your torrent downloading.

First force your encryption protocol and tick the box that says allow incoming legacy. Then add this url to your tracker list -

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

and wait a bit and voila!

Thanks for taking the time to help :) It's nice when someone here actually bothers.

I'm at work now, so I'll try it when I get home.

I sincerely doubt it's an ISP issue though :/ As when I had no answers here, I connected to the router directly via a wi-fi access point and then torrents, DHT etc. all work perfect. Although if possible wired would be preferable as it's faster and more reliable (and on a side-note my wi-fi dongle decided to kick its legs up in the air this week). That proxy just messes with absolutely all traffic passing though, its a complete pain.

And now that you mention it :/ I'm almost positive that's one of the trackers I add onto every torrent anyways, hmmm.

His solution won't work for you and is completely irrelevant to your issue.

That's why his post has been deleted.

The proxy you're required to use kills everything we could do to help.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah I figured so. Was just posting here to see if I had any feasible options, as I've tried just about every avenue I could think of. Thanks anyways. Looks like I'm stuck to wireless for the time being.

• 7 months later...
Zinn79 wrote:

I know the solution. The problem is that your ISP is blocking your torrent downloading.

First force your encryption protocol and tick the box that says allow incoming legacy. Then add this url to your tracker list -

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

and wait a bit and voila

Wow :o

Awesome. My ISP was blocking torrent downloads :(

Thanks a ton :)

I registered with an account just to post this reply :)

Archived