Persian Translation

alireza

First of all I don't write Persian here because this forum is not so good with right to left text. Anyways, tranlation of about 50% of strings is done and general view of the application is fairly Persian by now. However, there are some problems:

1. Translated strings do not have shortcut indicators (& characters) because I am not sure if people are easy working with them or not, and I don't know popular shortcut keys for operations such as Open or Save.

2. It is hard to find suitable translations for some words and some set of words in English are mapped to the same word in Persian. There are some examples:

scraping, seeding, pause and stop, disable and inactive, torrent, announcing, peer.

Any idea is appreciated.

3. Translation of some strings don't fit in their placeholder in the application.

4. There are some major problems with strings with symbols (like parantheses or square brackets), specially those generated dynamically by concatenating strings (see problem category list as an example).

5. Numbers are in English.

That's for now. If you found other problems or have any suggestion post it here.

Cheers

Hi alireza, nice to see the next language in the forum.

I hope I can help you with your problems.

1) I also think that nobody is using this shortcuts. Making a translation without shortcuts should be no problem.

2) For special words there could perhaps be no correct translation. Its also the problem in other languages. You can't translate special words to each langugage = let it in english.

3) This problem also have all translators. You have to shorten the translation to be readable and fit in the place that ludde lets us.

4) Special symbols take from the english original.

5) Some text (like numbers) aren't translateable, because they are part of the programm, not of the translation. So you have to live with this.

I hope this helps you a little bit!

Thank you schnurlos for the hints. Specially, it is a such a relief that shortcuts are not necessary!

I translated some more strings and put them into the translation system. Now the overall look of the translated application is much better, but some parts are not completed yet:

1. Almost half of Preferences dialog

2. More that half of RSS downloader dialog

3. Some error messages (like ones related to status of tracker)

And finally, I still have some problems with mixed Persian and English text. But Overally, the translation is much better now. I am not sure when the release of µTorrent is, but it think it hope we have a decent translation till then.

EDIT: RSS downloader is almost done, so are a number of error messages. The only major remaining part is preferences dialog. A number of translated strings also need some polishing.

EDIT: Some more translation is done. It can be found in the translation system.

• 10 months later...

Hi Hadi and Ardnoosh,

I've consumed two days and translation is 100% complete, however as you know for sure:

در زبان فارسی گرته برداری زیاد است و برخی لغات را نمی توان ترجمه کرد

ترجمه های غریب و نا مأنوس از آن هم بدتر است

therefore, I need your help. Would you please install the language and tell me your idea about the translation quality?

If you can help, I'll send you the files and instructions on how to install it.

Thanks.

Translation is completed for Persian language.

We've paid great attention to the context of each text and tried to avoid weired translation ANDs converting the interface to Farsi as much as possible.

TESTERS NEEDED******************TESTERS NEEDED

Anyone who knows enough Persian to help improve the quality of this translation, please live a note here. I'll check here in a few days. Testing is easy, you just copy a small text file and temporarily your interface will appears Persian language, then if you like you can tell your suggestions about it.

along with some introductions and descriptions about translating some technical words to our language.

That site includes some snapshots of Farsi uTorrent and installation instructions.

I need testers to use the product and tell if it's OK. It isn't officially released yet.

Any idea?

-Hanif

OK, but there's a problem:

When I finished translating on the web based interface and then downloaded the utorrent.exe.lang.txt file, uTorrent complained that it can't find some strings in the language file while some strings are redundant! I looked at the log file and saw there's just some UPCASE/lowcase difference between the strings.

I corrected them and continued translation off line on the text file itself.

When I tried to upload the text file to the web based interface, this time it complained that some of the strings in the text file are not convertible to what the web based interface expects!!!

The text file on my web site loads with *no* error and works perfect on uTorrent 1.6 (Build 474) but it still has that problem with the web based interface.

That's why I still have not released the final version.

What's the reason? What is the solution? Can you load the version on the following links with no problem?

http://utorrent.com/translate/index.php?action=download&id=474〈=56 (corrected it was 474 indeed!)

-H

Done! 100%! All strings have been updated for uTorrent 1.6 Build 474 on the web site. Please get the latest version here: http://utorrent.com/translate/index.php?action=download&id=474〈=56

We've applied opinions from some Farsi native speakers, too. Thanks for your help guys.

--------------------------------------------------

Please add "Farsi (Persian)" to the list of available language packs in: http://www.utorrent.com/download.php

(Farsi is another name for Persian language. They are exactly identical. It isn't an important point but we usually call it Farsi instead of Persian. It's called Farsi in Windows regional settings, too)

--------------------------------------------------

Hi There,

Wow, Your hard work is appreciated but there are some real problem with your translation. For example, what does:

"دانه ها"

means? Is uTorrent a farmland or what? Instead you could use a better synonym such as

"تعداد شاخه های مبدا"

Or

"تعداد کامپیوترهای مبدا"

Dude, you shouldn't translate all words just like a mirror. You must choose the best word by your own Persian feeling. I mean you should use a common word. No matter what is written in English to Persian dictionaries. As you mentioned, unfortunately people in Iran, no longer speak in correct Persian and for their own comfort they've just made a mixture of nearly all languages in single (easier to understand) language called Farsi. So you should keep translating them to Farsi but not ancient Persian.

Another point. For example in some places you used "Tashdid". It's not needed man!

Something eles. In option dialog box and main command buttons you translated "ok and "Cancel" as:

"قبول" و "رد"

It was the most odd translation I've ever seen before! You could use a better word such as:

"تایید" و "انصراف"

And so on….

Or in some places in option dialog box the translated sentences is bigger than the allowed space provided by program. So it made that option to be completely none understandable.

In some other places you just wrote the english word in farsi without translation.

Again thanks for your great hard work but I think it still needs some enhancements before appearing on download page and you should consider that.

Regards.

** by the way: I would also ask developers to provide an option of arraging program contents from Right-To-Left instead of Left-to-Right. Since some languages like Hebrew, Farsi, Arabic and .... are written Right-To-Left. So the program interface kinda gets ugly/untidy/complex after applying those translations.

Cheers.

Salaam dear sa3er,

thanks for your attention to our work. I've read your comments thoroughly and would like to mention a few points:

+ The translation isn't only the result of my own work. I've tried to "continue" the work of others. As a matter of fact some of the words that appear odd to you are pretty popular in Farsi (Persian) programs. For example "Zarnegar" or "Kalk" are very popular word processors that use those words. I've tried to avoid "coining new words" when they are currently in mainstream usage. Anyway thanks for your comments, we will try to consider them.

+ After the first Beta release some people contacted me and said their opinions and we've tried to apply them. Your suggestion about *weird translation* is welcome, write your suggestion here and we will check out soon. Please specify exactly what word should be translated and a brief description of why you think your suggested word is better than the current word. Thanks for participation.

+ About writing English words in Farsi font: developers know that there is a font rendering problem when writing a string which is composed of both Farsi (right-to-left) and English (left-to-right) words on a Form which arrangement is "left-to-right". We've contacted Firon (uTorrent developer who helps the translation efforts) and he said there are some [relatively long term] plans to support right-to-left forms in the future. Meanwhile we have to use such hacks and tricks to make it work. We have put a translation section on our website in which you can learn about the other translated words.

Your opinions is highly appreciated.

+ About translating some words for example "seed" to "دانه", we know that Torrent is not a Farm! But that is the same word that it means in English. That is and English speaker who doesn't know about Torrent algorithm and distributed download mechanism may wonder what does a "seed" mean?! "seed" and other similar words are *jargons* and they should be translated exactly and with minimum manipulation. For example you suggest that we use "تعداد کامپیوترهای مبداء" but "seed" is not "number of source computers"! It's just "seed" and it's pretty meaningful in that context. For more information please take a look at BitTorrent algorithm here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent. There is a Farsi translation of that page, if you like: http://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A8%DB%8C%D8%AA%E2%80%8C%D8%AA%D9%88%D8%B1%D9%86%D8%AA

I've read both articles completely before accepting this hard work. ;)

+ About using small punctuation marks and Farsi signs like "tashdid": uTorrent is a very popular program and we had to pay great attention translating it into our native language. Writing "tashdid" and "Fatha" or some other minor Farsi characters are NOT redundant. Many people abandon it on NON-OFFICIAL letters or weblogs for simplicity and shorthand but that's not our true language. Maybe it's funny to know that our first version lacked some of those signs and people contacted us to correct some of them. For example, in case of "اهمیّت" we should pronounce and spell it correctly and officially instead of just writing "اهمیت". The point is GUI of a program should be translated officially and clearly, it is not a blog, or a fast scrap. People pay attention to details of our job and we should do it perfectly and responsibly. Certainly you agree that writing all the signs takes more time and effort that letting them irresponsibly untouched.

have a good time,

khodahafez

Thanks for your reply,

Well, it's more like you're an Arab rather than a faithful Persian.

But anyway let's say for audiences inform:

- "Kelk" is an arabic software, not iranian. But yes some Iranian guys just reserved engineered/hacked it a little and put their infos there. I've the original arabic version if you liked.

- I couldn't yet figure out the connection between writing english words in farsi font without translation and "righ-to-left" stories. What's the point? Or maybe we just misunderstood each other. I also said some of your translations are longer than the provided caption space by software and you had no explanations.

- The structure of english language and farsi are not at all comparable. It's not true to say like that. So if "seed" is a name, you are not allowed to change it, just put "سیید" if that's what you mean. Like "bank" for example. There's no sysnoym for it in Persian language so we use it the same. So about "seed" you can not create a word by your own opinion since it has no meaning for that usage in persian. We can't trasnlate "airplane" as "صفحه هوا" or "sunglasses" as "شیشه های خورشید". Please think a little more. ("computer", "email".) As I said you just translate like a mirror or either your persian(farsi) is not that good.

- Punctuation marks are more related to arabic language rather than persian. So what goes with all newspapers, offical letters, a lot of special books in various special fields... in iran. They are all scraps/scripts maybe? All offical letters in iran are written without punctuation marks. If you got some spare time please take look at original version of ancient Persian books. Unfortunatly persian is polluted with arabic language and that's sad.

- At last, I should truly mention that this was the only Farsi translation of all popular softwares around, including CMS(es) which used punctuation marks and such weird translations.

Thanks for your attention and your effort.

bye bye.

dear sa3er,

There's no need to start a Flame war! :) Calm down! Some points need more description:

1. Kelk is not an Arabic software and it never was! In fact the name "Kelk" is a pure Persian word which means "pen". I will be glad to receive your Arabic version! (Reference: http://www.alihessami.com/downloads/kelk/index.html) In fact I laughed a lot :D:D The main reason of creating a software like Kelk is Nastaliq calligraphy which is only used in Iran :) I suspect even if Arabs can read it! :D LOL Calligraphy underwent correspoding chages. Arabs wrote the Quran artistically, using beautiful letters in a variety of styles. Two of those styles, Taliq and Naskh, were combined and transformed by the Persians into a new system called "Naskhtaliq" For smoothness of pronunciation the new style of calligraphy became known as Nastaliq, the name which is used today.

2. Both Zarnegar and Kelk use the translated words that we have included in uTorrent (e.g. OK, Cancel, Options, Preferences, etc.). In fact I wonder why just one person from 20+ people who have contacted us for suggestion, feels like that (and the reason I consume such a great attention and effort to reply your points is maybe some other friends want to mention it but don't feel like writing). Zarnegar was one of the first completely Farsi (Persian) word processing programs that was in mainstream usage back in 90's. (Ref: http://www.sinapardazeshsoft.com/zarnegar.htm)

3. If you read the article I introduced you on WikiPedia (http://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A8%DB%8C%D8%AA%E2%80%8C%D8%AA%D9%88%D8%B1%D9%86%D8%AA) you'll understand that most of the translations are derived from it. If you've looked at our web site, you most probably have seen that we explained each translated word thoroughly. If there's any question, don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks.

4. I agree that some translated screens don't fit in the provided space. We did our best to avoid such problems in the beta test version (and all of us found many of them). We tried to replace them with shorter counterparts. Chances are a few of them still remain, please report them. Thanks for your time and effort. The latest version of language files are always available on uTorrent website. (it's currently V1.6B490)

5. Using special language signs, it's like asking Germans to write a-umlaut (ä) without umlaut (a)! This is our proper language structure and we should write Tashdid. Maybe it sounds like Arabic but Farsi language has a lot in common with Arabic. We use [almost] the same font and writing style and researches shows that 67% of our words come from Arabic language. Translating a program has nothing to do with Nationalism. We did our best to look like any other Persian program. Again I say: uTorrent is a popular desktop program. It is not a blog! Even our newspapers and official course books use the proper Farsi writing style. I don't know what's the point that you're resisting to prove otherwise! It's the first time I hear such words. For example some friends have translated EMule+ and Firefox, you can take a look at their work if you want to know Farsi jargons (be sure to do it).

5. About your translations, do you know about "گرته برداری"? Sunglass has been translated to "عینک آفتابی". Computer to "رایانه" and "email" to "پست الکترونیک". If you don't like those official translations by "Farhangestaane Zabaane Farsi" which is an official governmental institution whose mission is to coin new technical terms in Farsi, maybe you feel more comfortable using the English version. You don't even have a suitable replication for those words, do you? Please take a look at the Wikipedia article and see how popular some [to-u-weird] words are. Our mission is to translate the GUI to Farsi. Every single word has been debated in our three-person group and then released as beta version to the public. We're still open to any constructive suggestion.

6. If you like to know more about the right-to-left string rendering problem, please contact any VC++ developer or try it yourself. uTorrent developers are planning to support right-to-left in the future versions but these hacks are what we can currently use to overcome the problem. In fact the previous translator left the project as a result of these problems. He was right: while a program doesn't support true right-to-left GUI, it's very hard to write complex strings in the interface. Our job is not perfect (because the underlying program doesn't support more) but we were not irresponsible and what you see is the result of our extreme efforts. If you think you can do more, please join us. We will be glad to add an active member to our group so that all uTorrent customers benefit from our work.

+++ And final word: please take a look at the web sites I've provided. It's really time consuming to write such long posts with so much references. If you have any question, please search the net, if you can't find the answer, I'll be glad to answer (but just give me some time man! I have a full time job!) ;) Believe it or not finding the link took more time than clicking it! Please take some time to get yourself familiar with similar work or we won't have a common ground to debate.

+++ If you like to help uTorrent community, please write EXACTLY what word in what window should be revised.

Have a good time, ;)

-Hanif

Hey, come on.

There's no war. :D Sorry if I offended you. That was not my purpose.

Thanks for your time on explaining everything that much clear. However I think again we misunderstood each other in some parts and yes we need to talk in private or face to face maybe.

Dude as I said ealier, I greatly appreciate your hard work and yes I understand how much effort it should take to work something out. like this one.

Ok, So lets cut it here. Thank you again.

Best wishes.

Saber.

Latest efforts:

1. We have found some inconsistency translating the strings with C-style format specifiers a(e.g. %d for decimal numbers) which in combination of a right to left string (like Farsi) decreases readability. We're fixing it. Sorry for inconvenience.

2. There are also 2 instances where a translated string doesn't fit the provided space. They're replaced with slightly shorter strings in the new version.

3. Some irrelevant punctuation marks are removed for the sake of readability.

I hope the new version will be finalized and available for public download within a few days. =D

The latest translation is updated for uTorrent 1.6 Build 488.

This release fixes all of the problems addressed above.

99 strings updated, 653 strings already up to date

The problem of BDO is still in progress but the rest of the strings are OK (BDO: strings with a mix of Right-to-left and Left-to-right words or numbers)

Everything is updated for uTorrent 1.7 Build 3341 (the latest build up to August 15, 2007).

There are some stings that I've translated but still appear in English! I guess it's related to an error when downloading the language package, I'm going to reinstall a fresh copy when I find enough time. If anyone else has this problem tell me please.

• 1 year later...

Salam Everybody!

I'm Sammy the new Persian translator and helping in translating µtorrent. I read some of the posts in here, wrote by Saber and Hanif. First of all I want to Thank Alireza and Hanif for their good translation and their good job because of finished translation till 65%. I understand that we have some differences in translating some words.

I want to say some things maybe help:

1 – About translating some words like "Seeding" or "Tracker" or… I think Saber said right things! Because these words are like Expressions and if we translate them to for example "دانه افشانی" or else it causes misunderstanding for Persian users. And I think a translation like this is not a good translation. A good translation first must transfer the meaning and after that try to using Persian synonyms. For some words in Persian we don't have any synonym, so what's the matter if we use the original word?! In Iran people don't use all of the words that "Farhangestaane Zabaane Farsi" offered. For example a word "کش لقمه" is a synonym for Pizza that Farhangestaan offered. But if you go to the city and talk to people you find out that no one use "کش لقمه" and all people still said Pizza ! It's not bad if we use original words you can see this in other countries too. Also I think it's better to use the original words instead of using some odd synonyms that no one can understand them.

But, in some cases Hanif said right ! if we are going to not translate any expression and other words, so that is not a translation ! And also it's some peoples wrong that use English words instead of using it's Persian synonyms. So I have a offer to fix both problem!

We can use both English and Persian words in translating ! How ?! For example a word like Tracker, in Persian we have synonym for it, "سراغ گیر" but it is too odd and no one could understand it's meaning. But if we add its original words in front of it, this problem is solved ! Like : (Tracker) سراغ گیر . With this kind of translation we reach to two goals : 1- Users have no misunderstanding when use the program. Because if they don't know the synonym, they look at the original word in front of it. 2- Users learn that this word is a Persian synonym for the word in front of it and we can use it without the original word in farther versions.

2- About some words that we have no good synonyms for them like "Hash". I think it's better to leave them unchanged in translating. If we use Persian characters to wrote them we have "هش" that someone could read it "هَش" or "هِش" ! And it makes misunderstanding again. By leaving them unchanged for an statement like "Calculating Hash" we have "Hash محاسبه ی" that it has its meaning and users understand that it is a word without synonym in Persian and should use it anyway.

3- At last about some translating that we have and I think we can't translate them ! Statements like "Send anonymous information" or "Pre-allocating files". I couldn't find good words for translating them. In Persian "Anonymous information" means "اطلاعات بی نام" ! But we know that Anonymous information is some kinds of information that has no name or address in ir and help the programmers to fix their program's bugs or problems. So if we translate the first statement to "ارسال اطلاعات بی نام" you find it like a joke ! That have any meaning except what you want ! About these statement and translating them I have no Idea ! If Hanif or Alireza ready to have a conversation about translating these statement call me by mail (my mail address is in translating main page) to arrange a meeting in Yahoo messenger or other chat tools. Thanks for your attention and sorry for my bad English !

Dear S@my,

Thanks for showing interest to the Persian translation. Actually it's quite a long time that I haven't had an opportunity to work on it because I'm no more in Iran and my life is so busy.

However, if you're ready to help, I can start you fast.

The most important issue about translating uTorrent is that this nice application has not been written with right-to-left languages like Farsi and Hebrew in mind from the ground up.

There are some weird workarounds that you'll learn once you start translating. We have a PHP-based translation system but what you see on this website is not the exact thing that appears in Farsi/Persian UI. Anyway, once you're used to the tricks it's easy to translate. First let me finish, and then if you like to help, drop me a line and we'll start working together.

Although translating some words seems weird in the beginning, but that's how many words found their way into our language. It's called "گرته برداری" in Farsi and as far as I remember 12 years ago when I was in high school, there was a whole lesson about it in Persian Literature text books. It's a controversy whether we should translate words this way or not. I personally prefer translations based on meanings not exact word translations. Believe it or not "thinking" about how to translate uTorrent and consulting with my fellow colleagues took more time than writing and typing (which roughly consumed one month of our time till we produced the first release).

The status of translation was not 65% from the beginning. When I took over the task, it was 40% done and unfortunately I couldn't contact Alireza to see why he left the job but actually I LOVE uTorrent so I wanted to help it (I assume that's the same reason you consumed so much time to help it, too). However, I realized that there is a problem in right-to-left text (more exactly it's referred to as BiDi) I discussed about it with Firon (one of the main contributors to the uTorrent project) and I found that uTorrent is not going to consider this problem in the near future so I had to find some workarounds. Now there are 45 pages each with 20 strings translation is almost 80% done and with your help we can make it 100% again. But first we have to discuss our views and create a unified plan for translation.

In Farsi, we usually import a foreign words with one of the following 3 ways:

1. Use it exactly as it is (but write it in Farsi font: تلویزیون or آدرس پست الکترونیک

2. Translate it based on meaning: "خبرگزاری" = "Press".

3. Translate it word for word (AKA garteh-bardaari): پیش نمایش = Preview

more info on Wikipedia

I carefully used a hybrid of the above methods whenever suitable.

For example "RSS" or "XML" are abbreviations which can't be translated easily and most probably if you translate them, you're ending in something even more ambiguous.

On the other hand, there are some words which can be translated according to their functionality like "سراغگیر" which tracks the status of seeds. I had to read the [Farsi version] article about Torrent on wikipedia (as well as the accompanying translation) to get a clue how to begin. I agree that words like "دانه" seem a little weird on the first look but once the user learns the Torrent terminology, she will understand what the names stand for. The idea is to actually "translate" the interface. If the users prefer English words and feel comfortable with them, they don't need the translated version. We should know the users and their expectations before deciding for how to represent information to them.

And finally about your example "Send anonymous information", regarding my previous translation strategies, I suggest "ارسال اطلاعات بصورت ناشناس".

Sorry, I'm running out of time. I'm sorry if still some parts of your message is not answered, but feel free to discuss about anything you like here. I'm ready to give reasons for every single word that I have translated and I promise to stay open to discussion and choose the best option for the users.

Have a good time,

-Hanif

PS. About Hash, you are right, but in computer science books we read it translated as درهم کنش which is even more weird! :D We gotta find some proper words... help!

• 1 year later...

Archived