uTorrent Changes: A response to your feedback

bigfalls

Reading through all of your posts...the theme of fast and light and a return to the spirit of past µT clients is a fairly universal desire among other conflicting opinions. You will see changes in this direction as I've mentioned in previous posts. I know talk is cheap, so by all means judge us by our actions. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and support.

For those announcing their departure from µTorrent, I appreciate the head's up. You didn't have to take the time to tell us, let alone explain why. We hate to lose you, but it's a free market and you'll use what works the best for you. Our aim is to win you back!

For those few telling us to f$@! off, and writing us off as greedy or stupid - your claims are leveled against a group of people so undeserving of your insults and so thoroughly unlike your characterization that it's absurd. We're happy you liked and received value from the free software we provided you for as long as you did, and we're sorry to see you go. Despite the crude delivery, we get the message that you're upset and we're happy for your passion with regard to µTorrent.. By the way, we aim to win you back as well! :)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happen to know plenty of musicians who happen to to be pretty big and they SHARE stuff all the time..Honestly are you a Programmer if you are its not like you get royalty's you probably collaborate with a 100 other people and cut one check . Then the company you work makes millions while you work your ass off.. I think its the C.E.O 's your problem is with ... Where not taking out out of your pocket ..GET OVER IT

See there we go again, with people making assumptions, how can you discuss rationally something that you do not know! I do not have a CEO and have not worked for a "company" for fifteen years or so, and I do not get royalties. I get paid when I sell a product, or add "features" that some customers have requested, so having my products "stolen" or re-used without permission DOES come "out of my pocket".. Fortunately the mainstay system is useless with the right hardware setup and the right premises to install the hardware in.

Any way back to the script.

I can understand developers wanting or needing to add "features", often it IS the only way to demonstrate to the majority of users that development is ongoing, users do not see where the code was rewritten to shave off another few CPU cycles. Sure, yes, of course some features are often added from the developer "kewl" perspective (the "hey guys, look what I can make it do" imperative. ).

File scanning and codec identification does make sense when you look at it in context. How many times have you downloaded a film only to find it says "Unable to find codec, use Coral | Nice | [whatever] Player to watch this movie"?? Surely you would rather be advised of that BEFORE you waste time downloading it entirely (where possible). Streaming? Makes sense in these days of networked homes and hand held devices that can play movies from a data stream. It means you do not need yet another piece of software running or setting up

Do any of you complain as much about mobile (cell) phones that are also a camera, music player, tablet computer, video player, provide Internet access, a satellite navigation system, a diary etc. etc. that you have to PAY FOR whether you need them, use them or not.

I would first like to thank you for what I believe is still a great program. I am quite a basic user of uTorrent, I download a few things and upload those things to a decent ratio and that's really all I'm worried about. I have only really ever had one problem with the program and that is when an update kept freezing up on me, so I went back and updated to a beta version and all was fine. My only one gripe with uTorrent is that I wish they would put certain beta updates up as stable when certain issues have been sorted. The two I will mention are the 3.1.3 stable version and the latest 3.2 stable version. The 3.1.3 version didn't have an option to view files in a window before downloading, it was sorted in the first 3.2 beta version, but it took around 28 3.2 beta versions before it was released, meanwhile the forum was swamped with users who kept asking about this. It seems to me that the 3.2 could have been put out much earlier with just this fix in place. We now have the 3.2 stable version which was finally put out where users torrents aren't starting automatically, this has been fixed in the 3.2.1 beta version, but yet again the forum is starting to get swamped with users about this issue, so why not just put out a 3.2.1 stable version with this fixed?, or they could even keep the version as a 3.2 stable but have an update for it. As for paying for a version of uTorrent, I wouldn't, for what I use it for there are plenty of free programs about. If uTorrent want to make some money, then just make it such that when its updated it takes you to a page with advertisements on it and the update is continued from there. As for CPU, I don't know to much about it except that my CPU can jump to 75% on opening uTorrent, it then drops to around 3%. Like most programs, the more things things that have to load then the higher the cpu, my browser opens using 100% cpu, but I've lots of add ons, get rid of the add ons and it drops dramatically. Look forward to all the changes in the future and many thanks.

File scanning and codec identification does make sense when you look at it in context. How many times have you downloaded a film only to find it says "Unable to find codec, use Coral | Nice | [whatever] Player to watch this movie"?? Surely you would rather be advised of that BEFORE you waste time downloading it entirely (where possible). Streaming? Makes sense in these days of networked homes and hand held devices that can play movies from a data stream. It means you do not need yet another piece of software running or setting up

that would be a compelling argument if any rudimentary features that get tacked onto utorrent would not be fundamentally inferior compared to dedicated software.

Do any of you complain as much about mobile (cell) phones that are also a camera, music player, tablet computer, video player, provide Internet access, a satellite navigation system, a diary etc. etc. that you have to PAY FOR whether you need them, use them or not.

you're comparing apples and oranges.

If the ads are obtrusive, offensive or it becomes known some forms of personal data is used, browsing history / habits, torrents being downloaded, etc. (& techies WILL find it, if it's happening), then people will & should vote with their "feet" (or fingers). People will just stop using uT nearly as much. If their business model says, "We can lose x% of users & still make more $ serving ads," that's great. A lot of companies & products have gone down this same type of slippery slope.

I'm not at all against a company making $ (& BitTorrent makes plenty) - just against privacy invasion & intrusive behavior. Any company can say, "We will never collect / use / sell / trade private or personally identifiable info," but saying that & it being true are very different. That's been proven time & again. It doesn't matter what you say, rather what you do. After all, Google's main business is advertising & they've done some pretty sleazy, even illegal things.

Bittorrent users generally aren't complete computer newbies or dummies. They'll figure out what's really going on w/ the ads & what ever else "new" comes along for uT. If it gets unacceptable, many will leave. It's that simple. If that happens, count on other existing & new BT clients stepping up. In the long run, maybe BitTorrent's decision will encourage more competition - even open source clients.

I would first like to thank you... many thanks.

Mac, respectfully, you (& others w/ similar writing style) should consider using paragraph breaks. One long paragraph makes reading on a monitor extremely difficult. Even though there may be valuable info, often when many others & I see one, long paragraph, just skip over it because it's so hard to follow. That's why they invented paragraphs.

On a computer screen / in email, about 3 - 5 lines / paragraph is about all most readers can easily follow.

Cheers,

Mac' date=' respectfully, you (& others w/ similar writing style) should consider using paragraph breaks. One long paragraph makes reading on a monitor extremely difficult. Even though there may be valuable info, often when many others & I see one, long paragraph, just skip over it because it's so hard to follow. That's why they invented paragraphs.

On a computer screen / in email, about 3 - 5 lines / paragraph is about all most readers can easily follow.

Cheers,[/quote']

And some doubt that our e-habits aren't reducing our attention spans to near zilch ...

Hi uTorrent team, and other uTorrent users.

I only registered to post the following as I have been increasingly dissapointed with the direction uTorrent is taking, but also in the way the stalwart users are voicing their concerns; usually unconstructively and sometimes offensively. I am a technical architect working for some fairly large organisations, so I like to think (perhaps falsely), that I understand some of the decisions the development team, and the company as a whole, are having to take with regards to uTorrent.

It is easy for us, the users, to state what we hate and don't want, but it's far harder to try to see the other side of the argument/issue and understand the reason why. I am far from eloquent in trying to state why doing this is to the detriment of uTorrent, but I really don't want uTorrent to go the way as so many applications of this type have...hello Winamp/ICQ/MSN Messenger (comedy option,) if I can help that in any way, so my thoughts are below. Please feel free to ignore/pick apart/abuse/whatever.

I am not an developer on uTorrent, so ripping me apart is not anywhere near as upsetting as for the poor souls that work their backsides off to deliver a product that we all use, only to be told it's "c**p, s**t, not as good as the old one" etc. This is really hurtful when you are trying your best as a technical person to deliver whatever the management have decided is needed, based on a perceived business model or need.

I first fell in love with uTorrent many years ago when it really was a TINY client, but still had all the features any general or hardcore user could want. I understand you guys have to make a living, and free can't always be free if this is your main job and you need to support your families etc.

Sticking my 2 cents in, I HATE ads. I hate bloat. I hate features that feel "tacked on" (e.g. the rating system or the apps, or the sidebar). I have an android phone, and hated Rovio for ages as I could NOT buy simple a no-ad version of Angry Birds as they felt that was the best revenue model for Android.

I will happily pay you guys a reasonable fee, for a no ad, lightweight, vulnerability/security patched version of uTorrent. Yes, there are opensource or other free clients out there, but who is to say they won't go the same way as you guys seem to feel you have to (either paid premium version with features hardcore users dont need, or ad-supported free).

Whilst I (VERY RARELY) do discover new bands/movies/content due to adverts, I tend to instinctively avoid ads like the plague, even if they seem attractive. Please implement an ad-supported model, with bells and whistles, and streaming, and remote this or whatever, for people that wont pay you guys for your work...but i'd happily pay to get a version that is cut-down and as fast as can be (yes, i realise this is counter-intuitive from a business perspective....pay to have less features?? Surely that user is crazy...).

I am not sure an apple/android app store approach will work in a community that seems to actively state they only use bittorent to download things illegally, but I would happilly pay a reasonable fee for uTorrent PURELY so you guys do NOT add bloat/ads, but continue to develop it and support it. In fact, to entice the vocal throng on this forum that seem to state "anyting beyond 2.2.1 is bloat", then give paid users a private forum to directly suggest to the devs what the lite version needs and doesn't need.

A direct communication channel where developers actively implement or remove the most voted on features, restricted to the passionate few who will pay a nominal fee is a great business model: users pay to shape the software they love, the devs shape it because the users pay (and love it).

At least give us this option. If the code is structured correctly, just make a 3.x "lite" fork, remove the stuff people complain about (that I mentioned above), ensure it still runs as fast as before, and stick it on this site for what you think is a reasonable price, either as a lifetime support fee or a year of updates.

See how it goes, you might be surprised.

Just my $0.02.

Mac' date=' respectfully, you (& others w/ similar writing style) should consider using paragraph breaks. One long paragraph makes reading on a monitor extremely difficult. Even though there may be valuable info, often when many others & I see one, long paragraph, just skip over it because it's so hard to follow. That's why they invented paragraphs.

Cheers,[/quote']

And some doubt that our e-habits aren't reducing our attention spans to near zilch ...

To be fair, I did find Mac's post hard to read. This isn't because I have a low attention span, but because a lack of paragraphs can be as galling as a lack of punctuation sometimes. The content was good though.

Hi uTorrent team, and other uTorrent users.

I only registered to post the following as I have been increasingly dissapointed with the direction uTorrent is taking, but also in the way the stalwart users are voicing their concerns; usually unconstructively and sometimes offensively. I am a technical architect working for some fairly large organisations, so I like to think (perhaps falsely), that I understand some of the decisions the development team, and the company as a whole, are having to take with regards to uTorrent.

It is easy for us, the users, to state what we hate and don't want, but it's far harder to try to see the other side of the argument/issue and understand the reason why. I am far from eloquent in trying to state why doing this is to the detriment of uTorrent, but I really don't want uTorrent to go the way as so many applications of this type have...hello Winamp/ICQ/MSN Messenger (comedy option,) if I can help that in any way, so my thoughts are below. Please feel free to ignore/pick apart/abuse/whatever.

I am not an developer on uTorrent, so ripping me apart is not anywhere near as upsetting as for the poor souls that work their backsides off to deliver a product that we all use, only to be told it's "c**p, s**t, not as good as the old one" etc. This is really hurtful when you are trying your best as a technical person to deliver whatever the management have decided is needed, based on a perceived business model or need.

I first fell in love with uTorrent many years ago when it really was a TINY client, but still had all the features any general or hardcore user could want. I understand you guys have to make a living, and free can't always be free if this is your main job and you need to support your families etc.

Sticking my 2 cents in, I HATE ads. I hate bloat. I hate features that feel "tacked on" (e.g. the rating system or the apps, or the sidebar). I have an android phone, and hated Rovio for ages as I could NOT buy simple a no-ad version of Angry Birds as they felt that was the best revenue model for Android.

I will happily pay you guys a reasonable fee, for a no ad, lightweight, vulnerability/security patched version of uTorrent. Yes, there are opensource or other free clients out there, but who is to say they won't go the same way as you guys seem to feel you have to (either paid premium version with features hardcore users dont need, or ad-supported free).

Whilst I (VERY RARELY) do discover new bands/movies/content due to adverts, I tend to instinctively avoid ads like the plague, even if they seem attractive. Please implement an ad-supported model, with bells and whistles, and streaming, and remote this or whatever, for people that wont pay you guys for your work...but i'd happily pay to get a version that is cut-down and as fast as can be (yes, i realise this is counter-intuitive from a business perspective....pay to have less features?? Surely that user is crazy...).

I am not sure an apple/android app store approach will work in a community that seems to actively state they only use bittorent to download things illegally, but I would happilly pay a reasonable fee for uTorrent PURELY so you guys do NOT add bloat/ads, but continue to develop it and support it. In fact, to entice the vocal throng on this forum that seem to state "anyting beyond 2.2.1 is bloat", then give paid users a private forum to directly suggest to the devs what the lite version needs and doesn't need.

A direct communication channel where developers actively implement or remove the most voted on features, restricted to the passionate few who will pay a nominal fee is a great business model: users pay to shape the software they love, the devs shape it because the users pay (and love it).

At least give us this option. If the code is structured correctly, just make a 3.x "lite" fork, remove the stuff people complain about (that I mentioned above), ensure it still runs as fast as before, and stick it on this site for what you think is a reasonable price, either as a lifetime support fee or a year of updates.

See how it goes, you might be surprised.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks, this is very well stated and reasonable and is very nice for us to read. And we very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestion for a minimal product users could influence.

I would first like to thank you for what I believe is still a great program. I am quite a basic user of uTorrent, I download a few things and upload those things to a decent ratio and that's really all I'm worried about. I have only really ever had one problem with the program and that is when an update kept freezing up on me, so I went back and updated to a beta version and all was fine. My only one gripe with uTorrent is that I wish they would put certain beta updates up as stable when certain issues have been sorted. The two I will mention are the 3.1.3 stable version and the latest 3.2 stable version. The 3.1.3 version didn't have an option to view files in a window before downloading, it was sorted in the first 3.2 beta version, but it took around 28 3.2 beta versions before it was released, meanwhile the forum was swamped with users who kept asking about this. It seems to me that the 3.2 could have been put out much earlier with just this fix in place. We now have the 3.2 stable version which was finally put out where users torrents aren't starting automatically, this has been fixed in the 3.2.1 beta version, but yet again the forum is starting to get swamped with users about this issue, so why not just put out a 3.2.1 stable version with this fixed?, or they could even keep the version as a 3.2 stable but have an update for it. As for paying for a version of uTorrent, I wouldn't, for what I use it for there are plenty of free programs about. If uTorrent want to make some money, then just make it such that when its updated it takes you to a page with advertisements on it and the update is continued from there. As for CPU, I don't know to much about it except that my CPU can jump to 75% on opening uTorrent, it then drops to around 3%. Like most programs, the more things things that have to load then the higher the cpu, my browser opens using 100% cpu, but I've lots of add ons, get rid of the add ons and it drops dramatically. Look forward to all the changes in the future and many thanks.

Understood, Mac. Point taken. Thanks for your support.

If the ads are obtrusive, offensive or it becomes known some forms of personal data is used, browsing history / habits, torrents being downloaded, etc. (& techies WILL find it, if it's happening), then people will & should vote with their "feet" (or fingers). People will just stop using uT nearly as much. If their business model says, "We can lose x% of users & still make more $ serving ads," that's great. A lot of companies & products have gone down this same type of slippery slope.

I'm not at all against a company making $ (& BitTorrent makes plenty) - just against privacy invasion & intrusive behavior. Any company can say, "We will never collect / use / sell / trade private or personally identifiable info," but saying that & it being true are very different. That's been proven time & again. It doesn't matter what you say, rather what you do. After all, Google's main business is advertising & they've done some pretty sleazy, even illegal things.

Bittorrent users generally aren't complete computer newbies or dummies. They'll figure out what's really going on w/ the ads & what ever else "new" comes along for uT. If it gets unacceptable, many will leave. It's that simple. If that happens, count on other existing & new BT clients stepping up. In the long run, maybe BitTorrent's decision will encourage more competition - even open source clients.

<<Bittorrent users generally aren't complete computer newbies or dummies. They'll figure out what's really going on w/ the ads & what ever else "new" comes along for uT.

Exactly right. This is something we know and we count on. If we screw this up, users will walk exactly as you say.

Big Falls, Moderator

Sorry ro butt in. But I downloaded the current stable version of utorrent here in Germany and wanted it in the default language - English. Under Settings it says you can do this. I did so and retarted the program as instructed - still in German.

Usually using my Vista Home system I can do this by deleting the utorrent.lng file which I usually manage to find under AppData. But it is nowhere to be found nowadays.

It must be somewhere. Could you please direct me to it?

1st, Mac the Knife - I certainly meant no disrespect & wasn't trying to be rude. In hind sight, should have sent u a PM. Sorry for "correcting" you in the public forum.:)

CaptainRandom, agree w/ you. I'd pay for an ad free version. But there is one issue. When a doctor has a patient w/ high blood pressure (not high enough to kill them any minute), MOST doctors will NEVER sit down & tell patients in no uncertain terms, "You need to lose ~ 30 lbs, stop smoking (if they do) & start getting regular, moderate exercise, because I want you to get off these meds & avoid potential side effects."

This is a fact that many are unaware of. WHY don't they?

1) They're afraid of insulting the patient & losing them as a customer.

2) IF THEY CURE a patient that has a disease / issue, that is otherwise CONTROLLABLE W/ MEDS, they lose the patient.

If they keep the patient on meds & require regular visits "to check up," or else they won't renew prescriptions, they have a patient for life (cash flow).

This is a fact that's been discussed in many books, written BY doctors.

It's the same w/ ads in software. It's a never ending source of income. BitTorrent Inc. already makes a good profit, but as w/ all doctors & businesses, more $ is always better. Unless BitTorrent Inc. has made a decision that causes WAY more users to leave, than they anticipate (which is possible), I doubt they'll take ads out, because of the never ending revenue from ads.

Is that good or bad? Not sure - yet. Few users "like" ads, but every company or developer has the right to do what they want. It's just a matter if what they do, drives too many customers away. Like Coke did, changing the formula.

uTorrent is good, but not the be all & end all. They make millions in profits, but can't "afford" / don't have the time to update the user manual / Help file. And uT's always got a lot of bugs, which they mostly fix (eventually). But in that respect, they're NOT head & shoulders above some open source clients.

I'd rather pay an open source (or freeware) developer & not have ads AND not have to deal w/ the TRACKERS that come w/ the ads. My guess is, that now - if everyone that tried uT & liked it, paid say, $10, that would be a drop in the bucket compared to what they can make - LONG TERM - from selling ads & "non personally identifiable data," for as long as the user stays w/ uT. There's big $ in ads & data.

Sorry ro butt in. But I downloaded the current stable version of utorrent here in Germany and wanted it in the default language - English. ...Could you please direct me to it?

This is a discussion thread on uTorrent changes.

Need to post your question in the General or Troubleshooting help forum. Good luck. :)

Since utorrent 3.2 came out.......major problems have been occurred

-when down and up simultaneous the disk is used to much vs utorrent 3.1.2

-if your computer is running more than 3 days with utorrent on and exit the program the hole disk is used for several minutes for nothing

- compared to 3.1.2 this new version has more problems......maybe you will fix this

• 3 weeks later...

I am against ads. While people posting the last few have been trying to be more understanding soft in their delivery, I see the same underlying problem. And if you can't handle feedback as a developer, you shouldn't be one. That I've learned the hard way.

Therefore, I will be real with you, and you may do whatever you wish with my post, but know that those whom you prevent from speaking are your worst enemies and will bring down your whole business model whether you return to an ad-free version:

1. If you offer something for free, and then decide you want to make money out of it, do it in an ethical way. If it's ads you seek, ASK for permission before you display them. Right now, in 3.2.1, a user has to be more than average to figure out how to set sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled to false. That's shady, and pushy, and outright trampling over user rights. This applies not only to you and your, as I'm sure you think to yourself, special situation. But in reality this is nothing more than a shameless enforcing of your internal policies upon your users. This is the reason many will quit using your product or simple hack the you know what out of it to remove the ads. I doubt however anyone would venture to hack it since you represent just one product offering of the kind on the market. Don't fool yourself thinking that you have however much of the bittorrent client market. That's just because people are using your product. Do something stupid, and as I'm sure you've already noticed, your user base and therefore market share declines overnight.

2. If you are going to provide a paid version of the same product, you are competing with yourself. Letting go of the free version in favor of the paid version will undoubtedly leave you bankrupt in a matter of weeks. You have nothing better to offer than many other free alternative clients. Therefore, what you fail to do is innovate. That's hard in your market, because it undoubtedly takes a whole lot of resources unavailable to you (because you are not making money out of a free client), unless you seek sponsorship/investors. Given that most of your userbase responded unfavorably to your sponsorship idea, I'd say it's safe to go ahead and look for investors.

3. Give a reason why. That's what is going to sell your paid product. If you have an awesome, unique feature that nobody else offers, charge for it. That's what's going to sell and bring revenue. But in order to gain the trust of your free userbase and entice them, you must never coerce them into choosing the paid for version like you are doing now with these ads and the so-called opt out feature I was not able to find in an easy to access way. If you maintain your integrity, and ask a users' permission for those ads BEFORE displaying them, you maintain yourself as a reputable company that respects user choice, privacy, and most importantly decisions. That will give you a chance at the glory you are now seeking through clearly failed (multiple times) business models.

Why should a COMPANY who's very existence depends on making money to pay for research and development ask if anybody minds them showing adverts???

Did Google ask if you mind having adverts on your Gmail messages, or your search results?

Did Facebook ask before they started showing adverts.

Do you not use branded carrier bags, from supermarkets, Burker King, MacDonalds, WalMart etc. etc. The price of those containers is that you are advertising that establishment as you walk back to your car or get on a bus with it in your hand.

NOBODY forces you to use any FREE products, and if in-process advertising is the ONLY cost for a product what does it matter.

Some of you talk such complete bollocks it is difficult to believe you live in the real world. If you don't like it then USE something else. You have a CHOICE.

In which exact version - stable or beta - did they start serving ads?

kevincop - or others - where are the opt out settings to get / not get ads, cause I'm using a 3.2 version but not seeing ads.

Either the version I got had the options disabled or I did it in my sleep & don't remember how.

I see some option in Prefs>Advanced, like "content_offer_autoexec" - set to false & some others, but haven't researched what they do.

And if you're gonna have ads, for God's sake, update the Help file. Mods & admins have whined for yrs in forums that uT (read, BitTorrent) can't afford to / doesn't have time to update Help file. Simply false. BitTorrent Inc. makes lots of money. It's all the same company. I might tolerate some ads, but not when uT is just as, if not more buggy than some other clients and has a WAY outdated Help file. You can't have your cake & eat it, too.

Another I find humorous & troubling is "btapps.enable_activex"

Really? ActiveX? Uh, I don't think so. There's a reason so many stopped using IE because of security issues related to things like ActiveX & a really good reason Fx doesn't allow it.

I don't know WHAT that option's purpose - really- is - but I'm not running an app w/ ActiveX enabled. For now, it can be disabled, but depending on what it is / will be used for, this may be putting users at higher risk of infections. Don't take my word - do some research.

Enabling ActiveX for anything is a bone head stunt (regardless of when it was done). Maybe another reason to research other clients.

Did Google ask if you mind having adverts on your Gmail messages, or your search results?

Partly for that reason, many users & I don't use Google and / or block all ads / prevent personal data from being collected.

Do you not use branded carrier bags, from supermarkets, Burker King, MacDonalds, WalMart

Apples & Oranges. For one, if you pay cash, those companies aren't collecting (can't) identifiable & "non identifiable" info to sell or use to bombard you w/ more ads. You can argue about that all day long, but it's not the same situation.

NOBODY forces you to use any FREE products...bollocks...

Point of fact: If software is serving ads, it's NOT free. Therefore, if it's NOT free, users have some say so, or right to an opinion.

You are 100% correct - users have a choice (& freedom of speech, mostly). They asked for comments & that's what users are giving.

If you don't like it, don't read it. But if you do read it, please stop using insulting, rude language toward users, as if many are idiots. It makes one look petty & uneducated.

Archived