3.2.1 - How to turn off ads, except for the silly Upgrade banner

kevincop

So for those of you who are not exactly the kind of people who like fiddling with internal crap of a piece of software, here it is:

In 3.2.1, you can disable ads by going to Preferences, and then Advanced. In the filter, type in "spon". By the time you're done typing that, you will see the results narrow down to one item which is "sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled". Go ahead and set that to false, click OK, exit uTorrent and start it again. You should only see the dumb Upgrade to uTorrent Plus banner on the left side, but the rest of the crap will be off.

Hope this helps someone.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
uncheck "show torrent plus info" in Options.

A lot of people keep saying this. This was the first thing i did but, it doesn't work, doing it through advanced options did. After about 30 seconds of skimming google results it seems a number of people are having the same problem with 3.2.1.

:) :) :) a thousand thanks :) :) :) So I got rid of the "featured torrent ribbon" on top of µtorrent

So for those of you who are not exactly the kind of people who like fiddling with internal crap of a piece of software, here it is:

In 3.2.1, you can disable ads by going to Preferences, and then Advanced. In the filter, type in "spon". By the time you're done typing that, you will see the results narrow down to one item which is "sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled". Go ahead and set that to false, click OK, exit uTorrent and start it again. You should only see the dumb Upgrade to uTorrent Plus banner on the left side, but the rest of the crap will be off.

Hope this helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...

To turn off ALL ad related and featured content:

Options>preferences>Advanced...

Turn all these settings to false:

offers.left_rail_offer_enabled/left_rail_offer

gui.show_plus_upsell

offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled/sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

bt.enable_pulse

gui.show_notorrents_node

offers.content_offer_autoexec

To turn off all ad related and featured content:

left_rail_offer

gui.show_plus_upsell

sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

bt.enable_pulse

gui.show_notorrents_node

YAY! So glad people are sharing a solution to this new problem. ..So disappointed with utorrent for downgrading their quality with obnoxious ads. I trusted that when it asked me to download the update it would mean good things, but instead I felt betrayed. :-(

This is ridiculous. uTorrent is turning into crapware more and more with each new release. I was a millimeter away from shift+del'ing it for ever, only forum search saved it. But with current devs approach, it won't last long.

Seriously, you'll start losing users with crapbars and ads, and I doubt there's a way to restore product's reputation once it's lost.

Thanks for flags, Beasly.

I trusted that when it asked me to download the update it would mean good things, but instead I felt betrayed. :-(

I was tired of that upset and betrayed feeling so I stopped "updating" at uTorrent 2.2.1 (build 25302).

I'll continue using that version until its blacklisted on all trackers - but by they point uTorrent will most likely have died due to spy/mal/adware bloat etc. :/

• 2 weeks later...
Patience wears a bit thin though when the same question is asked twice a day, instead of using the forum search to get the same answers. How do you think we find the links to post???

So let me get this straight.

You are online, on a public forum, at 6 in the morning, for many hours per day ... You are literally taking time out of your day to read threads asking for help, MORE THAN ONCE, just to say that you are lacking the patience required to help people who ask for help when an update pushes something that very few people, or perhaps no one at all, expected in the most popular torrent client on the internet?

Well I strongly suggest you give the nearest moderator and/or administrator a hug, because if this was my forum ... I would ban you right now for obviously trolling and intentionally trying to annoy people repeatedly.

ciaobaby = forum troll with nothing better to do

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

You are online, on a public forum, at 6 in the morning, for many hours per day
It's may have been 6 AM for you. But it was "2012-11-15 17:10:09" for me.
ciaobaby = forum troll with nothing better to do
Actually I do have better things to to, which I why I get hacked off at people who can't be arsed to help themselves!!!!

To turn of all ad related and featured content:

gui.show_plus_upsell

bt.enable_pulse

gui.show_notorrents_node

Thank you!!!

Oh dear, I posted this in the wrong place and I can't find a way to delete it!

Like the rest of the choir, I just want to say that crap should not be installed by default, after which people have to come here to solve problems, unless they want to search new options in ever more detail.

Crap should not be staring us in the face after a simple setup.

And then we have to be thankful? For the program yes, but for the way it is tried to stuff garbage into users who want to live without: no.

Until better days again..

To turn of all ad related and featured content:

gui.show_plus_upsell

bt.enable_pulse

gui.show_notorrents_node

All of the above doesn't seem to remove the "Get uTorrent Plus" at the top of the options menu. I always seem to click it by mistake when going to preferences. How can I remove it?

• 2 weeks later...

Well for what its worth, I can't complain if the developers attempt to monitize their work. I found the "featured torrent" annoying as well. Having just joined the forum after maybe 5-6 months using the client. I joined, searched, and found the answer all in like five minutes.

The client works well for me.Cheers and Kudos to all the developers and helpful posters.

• 3 weeks later...
To turn off ALL ad related and featured content:

gui.show_plus_upsell

bt.enable_pulse

gui.show_notorrents_node

This worked perfectly! Gor tid of the EdgeWorld.exe crap on the top. Thank you kindly :)

Hope this helps someone.

Archived