Do you use a 2.x or older version of uT?

naiduv

I am not currently using a 2.x version,but i liked the add torrent dialog of 2.x version.Namely the lack of the Name field which now forces us to always have a subfoler for the files in the torrent.I liked that in 2.x we could just manipulate the Full Path field to create/remove a subfolder for the files or just dump them in the root folder i choose.Here is more info on the issues i am having with the current add torrent method from my post in the 3.2.1 RC thread.

I agree with hshh and rafi's design to let us chose if we want an auto subfolder or not.I was happy that before i could just manipulate the full path to whether put the torrent files in a subfolder or just dump them in the root folder i chose(which is sometimes needed).I think the Name filed should not interfere with the save path,but instead just be the name by which the torrent is displayed in your torrents list.Sometimes i am downloading same type files from several different torrents and want all the files to be in the same root folder.But since they are from different torrents i can't do that with the current versions because i am forced to chose a subfolder for all the torrents.I prefer the the way it worked in the 2.x builds(before the name field was introduced).Ofc i can workaround the current method by choosing a higher lvl root folder and choosing for name for all the torrents the same name(in order for all the files from the torrents to be saved in the same folder).But that will lead to multiple torrents with same names in my torrent list,which is messy and not a good solution too.I never understood the reason for the Name field in the first place.

PS:Btw there are some good examples in This thread by Athari.I am having exactly the same issues with the new add torrent method and Name Field.It just creates more work for me to move all the files from several torrents into the same folder since i can't download them all directly into the same folder and am forced to have subfolder for each torrent.

Hello naiduv,

I am still a user of μtorrent v2.2.1 (build 25130) for windows XP SP3 (single core CPU) and I am perfectly happy with it:D

Unfortunately I can only afford a rather poor specced PC, so I can achieve the highest download speed along with smallest CPU load using the aforementioned μtorrent build:rolleyes:

Did I mention that I also love its sleek, snappy and 'real estate'-conscious user interface:cool:

Thanks for asking:)

/*

Yes Mr. DreadWingKnight, security risks acknowledged;)

I have tried up to build 28038 inclusive, to no avail I am afraid:(

*/

2.2.21738. It's the last build that:

- does NOT check for availability of files for torrents with "Finished" status;

AND

- does NOT have "Disc overloaded 100%" issue on Win2k3.

BTW - modern versions have both of these issues: in latest builds, if the drive files of the torrent with "Finished" status were allocated on doesn't present in the system anymore, the torrent will get erroneous status (which is bad). 2.2.21738 ignores anything related torrents with "Finished" status (which is good).

I'm on windows xp service pack 3 and always update to the latest beta. I feel uTorrent developers wouldn't be changing the program for no reason at all and are obviously trying to improve it all the time. I suspect at some point I will come unstuck with an update and it would be nice if there was something like a "revert back to previous version" option in uTorrent in case of problems after updating. Unsure whether that is possible or not. There could also be an option to "clear unnecessary files in Application Data folder" as I'm never sure on whether I can just delete things like .torrents for torrents I no longer have on my pc or am no longer sharing. Things I don't like are the advertisement stuff, although setting a couple of settings in advanced to false stops these. Also the facebook and twitter symbols are not for me, don't use either of them and if I did I would use them from my preferred browser. As for things I do like, I find uTorrent for my purposes is much the same as it has ever been, the only thing that really annoyed me was in an older version where you couldn't select the files you wanted before they were loaded in uTorrent, but that was soon put right.

I use 2.0.4 since 2 years on my seedbox because:

- it has an updated help file, with detailed info about tweaking advanced settings

- no useless bloat, and advanced settings that i can't find any info about tweaking anywhere

- it doesn't disk overload like newer versions

- it never crashed.

2.2.1 user.

3.x provides a lot of bloat features I don't need as I only want a torrent download client, not a multimedia client; but rather, refuses to implement any feature that actually matters: search in download list, 1 temp dir for multiple destination dirs (could be worked around, but not ideal), etc.

What's worse, 3.x has serious cache and file accessing issue, though the performance is getting closer and closer to 2.x, it makes me think that new devs in bittorrent after acquisition don't understand the original code so they mess everything up and struggle to fix them all the way.

Not to mention how buggy 3.1 was.

2.2.1 is not perfect: it loses connections after a network interface fail & restart (quite common for dial/vpn/dsl, i guess it's about upnp), and can't re-connect, and it has other problems. But it's still far more better than 3.x version in keeping tiny and concise.

v2.0.4.22150 It works great and is nice lightweight client for my needs. have tried many including v1.7.7 that many people use, I just couldn't get on with it.

Would be nice to have the bugs for v2.0.4.22150 fixed in line with current UT. But remains lightweight no bloat and advertisements etc.

It is sad we use the older version, it is nice you recognise this with hope make a super lightweight modern UT for us. Kept up to date in line with main UT. Of course needs not to be said, or maybe once more please no bloat and advertisements added as in newer versions. Since this is why we use these old versions :)

Still have 2.2.0.21738 and 2.2.1.25203 in my PC, they are working very well !

Now I'm mainly use 3.2.2, it is fine too.

However, 3.3.0(28120) are not good.

Even though it has so much enhancement, multi-thread I/O etc.

It connect much less peers than 3.2 and 2.x, and the transmission speed (U/D) is very low.

I'm using version 2.2.1.25302 at the moment since that version is all i need. I'm not interested in apps, streaming, utorrent plus, commenting/rating on torrents, ads, featured torrents or any other similar stuff that was added in recent versions. I am also not even using the search engine within the utorrent which could be removed via deleting all search strings within UI Extras, and then the search box would dissapear in the main UI of the program. But in the new versions even that is not working properly anymore.

The only thing i do miss sometimes, is the new dialog window when adding magnet links. However, since all this time i have been using utorrent without this added functionality, missing that option wont change my user experience THAT much.

So, to sum it up...

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever, for a simple user like me, to move from 2.2.1.25302 or even 2.0.4.22967. Default UI was nice, skin support was up-to-date, no bloat. I could easily hide/remove uneeded options from the main UI (with new versions, i can't even do that).

When other torrent clients, eventually, implement similar stuff as utorrent has today, then it will be time to move from an old, unbloated version of utorrent to a up-to-date, unbloated version of some other torrent client.

In the end, it's just a piece of software.

"Disk overloaded 100%" error message with 3.x

Tried discussing this problem on the forums a year ago and the final resolution from the devs was that "it's a Windows problem". From the posts above seems like it was never resolved.

Still using v2.2.1 with no problems. I had just come to check up on the uTorrent development but sounds like I can't take advantage of some of the new feature I want, yet.

I prefer the old add torrent dialog. I really, really dislike the new split path/filename in 3.2.1. I like being able to edit the whole path, but, more importantly, I like being able to edit the filename at the same time. I used to use the ... browse function to select my folder, then I would select a file (usually the last one) so I could then just change the relevant data. For example, if I was downloading the 30th chapter of something, I could just hilite the 29th chapter, change the '29' to '30' and change the previous chapter's subject to the new subject, and boom - the rest of the formatting for the filename is done, Now I have to actually go the directory I'm saving in in Windows Explorer, select the old file, copy the filename, and go BACK to uTorrent.

Please give us the option of the older add torrent dialog back, at least?

Using version 2.2.1 (25302)

Why it's good? Well, let's see:

• Stable
  • No disk I/O and caching issues
  • No ads
  • No social features
  • No streaming features
  • No multimedia features
  • No anti-virus integration
  • Clean and fast UI:
  1. It is considerably more responsive without visible delay
  2. Search engine field that CAN BE hidden (while on that topic — every sane person expects this field to be used for filtering existing torrents and does not expect it to perform external web search)
  3. Narrower rows in the main list. More information fits on the screen as a result
  4. No comment/rating tabs (that don't go away even when you explicitly turn them off)
  5. No dialog window that ask you to rate every single torrent you delete (while ratings has been explicitly turned off)

One problem that 2.2.1 has is "Apps" which you can not turn off, uTorrent keeps creating directories at every restart (at least App Pane can be hidden). And one minor annoyance is Find Content Pane (luckily can be hidden as well).

More information fits on the screen as a result

You forgot: there are tooltips on the main view as well...

As for this delete confirmation dialog - *you* wanted confirmation (which you can disable), why care if there is an extra comment edit field that you don't need to use?...

Using version 2.2.1 (25302)

Why it's good? Well, let's see:

• Stable

• No disk I/O and caching issues

• No ads

• No social features

• No streaming features

• No multimedia features

• No anti-virus integration

• Clean and fast UI:

1. It is considerably more responsive without visible delay

2. Search engine field that CAN BE hidden (while on that topic — every sane person expects this field to be used for filtering existing torrents and does not expect it to perform external web search)

3. Narrower rows in the main list. More information fits on the screen as a result

4. No comment/rating tabs (that don't go away even when you explicitly turn them off)

5. No dialog window that ask you to rate every single torrent you delete (while ratings has been explicitly turned off)

One problem that 2.2.1 has is "Apps" which you can not turn off, uTorrent keeps creating directories at every restart (at least App Pane can be hidden). And one minor annoyance is Find Content Pane (luckily can be hidden as well).

Also would prefer to have the old UI in any new lightweight UT. With the same old v2.0.4 UI colours and icons and layout which is better to look at than the bloat UT.

As for this delete confirmation dialog - *you* wanted confirmation (which you can disable), why care if there is an extra comment edit field that you don't need to use?...

I don't follow your logic. It is kinda common sense to ask for confirmation before any destructive operation. Is it not? And what is the point of opting out of something? If I blocked this particular part of program functionality, then why it keeps showing up and nagging me about stuff I don't want to see?

Archived