Do you use a 2.x or older version of uT?

naiduv

[...] Still - you don't *need* to enter anything, so no real harm done...

What I don't *need*, is to see the part of UI that shouldn't be there. Why are you trying to argue anyway? If it doesn't bother you personally, good for you. It bothers other people.

"Just ignore this", "just ignore that", "we'll fix this later", "it doesn't matter", "who cares?" and "but it still works" are not the ways to go. If you can design something well, why do it half-way? It is not ok that program is constantly in half-broken state.

"No real harm done" — is the attitude that got uTorrent from great software to still solid, but just another software. Things out of place, ill-considered features, and a myriad of small bugs. When the core works well enough, then the polishing is what matters. And since 2.x there's been progressively less shine.

2.2.1 - for 2 reasons: 1) all 3x versions had a MUCH higher CPU usage, and 2) every private tracker I know has banned all 3x versions because of the bugs and problems.

So I'm waiting for a 4x version to have the bugs worked out. I said it from the beginning, and I maintain it now: 3x was down the wrong path.

My only regrets are that 2.2.1 doesn't support the combined Status/Done field, it doesn't have the Seeding category, and doesn't capture the magnetic link metadata. If I could get those 3 features in 2.2.1 I would see no reason at all to use another version.

MUCH higher CPU usage

By how much? I get 6-8% CPU with a 2MB/sec download (with an old c2d E2180 CPU)... plus a total of ~1 minute CPU consumption for the full ubuntu download on both. Did you measure differently ? ... Maybe the latest 3.2.x released improved performance.

e6a3c5214753618.jpg ef196e214753630.jpg

040b57214749028.jpg

I have it when people just come here and state unsubstantiated so called facts!!! :(

One other difference between 2.x versions and new one...

How many ads (hidden or visible) do new versions have? I recently tried new 3.2.2 beta and had to untick ads and other mumbo-jumbo during installation, inside the program i had to disable (hide) featured torrents, then i had to hide all other stuff that clutters UI, afterwards i had to search the forums to find how to disable left_rail_offer and sponsored_torrent. And finally, when i thought im finally done, in the down right corner two icons pop out, Facebook and Twitter icons. Now, my question is...is there anything else i need to disable? Any other hidden ads that will jump out and scare me?

With every new version, more and more time is needed to bring the torrent UI back to as it was. Help file is not updated, some options are not working (like the one i mentioned -> removing the search box), some other options are working for a little while than they stop working altogether untill they start working again (like clicking on a tray icon and opening the program with a single click and then clicking on the same icon again to close the program back to tray).

Now, these are the things i noticed as a most simplest utorrent user. I'm scared to thing what other bugs are there and what else is not working as it should if i were a more advanced user and would require more tinkering with an advanced options.

2.0.4 build 22697

I was using 3.1.3 for a long time then I start getting some strange problems here like not being able to recheck, it took like days in a single torrent. Tried many different fixes that I got here from the forum, then I moved to 3.2 and it worked for like 2 days and got all those problems back. Somebody here blamed my NAS and my network, but I couldn't believe because everything else was working fine for me. So I downgraded to 3.1.3, 2.2.1 and finally 2.0.4 22697. It is running fine for me but sometimes looks like it crashes internally and some torrents simply can't connect to their trackers, closing the application and opening it again solves that, but I have to say that's a small problem if compared with any other version I tried before that one.

Edit: I understand that you "need" to add some new blazing amazing features to your software, but can't you just get that 2.0.4 and make a super stable uTorrent for those that doesn't need any great enhancements in UI? As a developer myself I know it's posssible, but is anybody in Bittorrent organization interested in somethink like that? I think that your Community can even help you do that. ;)

Currently I don't use a 2.x but a 3.0 (25454).

Why? I got lured into trying the 3.0 versions hoping at least one (needed by me) of the features, "promised" for the never materialized 2.3, would be in there (already posted about that). :cool:

I'm too scared to try to go back to 2.2.x because loosing my torrents would be very bad. :( Otherwise I'd be back at 2.x already.

Earlier versions were more resolution friendly, when i used my tiny netbook with resolution

800xsomething. Of course the usual disk overload, lots of lovable bloat and and ads are

not something i'd adore. And as someone mentioned in an old thread, you could have hundreds or

even thousands of torrents under some label and NOT worry about ut hogging up memory

nor the startup slowdown.

NOW, actually, why i'm posting in this thread here, it's a last resort in hope, that someone listens to me too

about my need of features.

1. I'd really want a blacklist feature for censoring/deleting phrases that are in foldernames.

i.e. adding (without the quotes) "[ www.Torrenting.cum ] - " to the blacklist,

"[ www.Torrenting.cum ] - The.Torrent.Killer.2012.BDRiP.XViD-CoMMuNitY" would automatically

save my torrent data in to the folder named "The.Torrent.Killer.2012.BDRiP.XViD-CoMMuNitY"

2. Basically the same feature, but automatically deselects filenames that are added to the blocklist.

I.e. "Torrent downloaded from Demonoid.com.txt" or "Torrent Downloaded From ExtraTorrent.com.txt"

Basically what i'm asking is a goddamn torrent adblocker for torrents.

Makers of uTorrent. Prove to the users, that you don't think about the money only, but care about the users too.

You have another basically the same client called "BitTorrent." Why not add bloat (apps, nice UI etc.) there and keep utorrent clean and with basic features. Thank you.

I got curious and asked the same in another forum, those are the answers so far:

Used to use 1.8.2, but now back to 1.6.1, everyone says it's safer, would never use anything later...

Original Post

Wich build is this 1.6.1? Is it as fast as 1.8.2?

Any stable build, guess you can only find one these days.

I notice that many sites now prefer 1.8.2 Build 14458 - maybe I'll upgrade?

Further notice that some sites say to Disable DHT.

When I was torrenting on my home connection I tried many versions of utorrent but I always ended up using 1.6.1. I found that it was faster, more stable and less resource intensive than any of the newer ones

Along with 1.6.1, I've also heard that 2.2.1 is a good client to use and that's my mainstay.

1.8.2 is the best!

2.2.1 is the latest version I could get to work on WINE, possibly because it didn't have to go through its installer.

However, I later switched to Deluge because its daemon+ui architecture makes it far superior for remotely controlling than utorrent.

I use 1.6 nowadays I used to use 3.0, but I had issues with some torrents.

Should I use 1.6.1 or should I keep my 1.6

But many well-known private trackers no longer allow using uTorrent lower 2.0.0, don't they?

Now I am using uTorrent 2.2.1. It's stable and hasn't many odd tools, and there aren't the annoyed errors like 3.x.x versions.

I just switched from 1.8.2 to 2.2.1 because most trackers I'm on recommend it and someone mentioned to me it was better. But mostly b/c of the trackers. Only one tracker I was one required 1.8.2 but I only get "neutral" torrents from there, so my stats don't even get counted. I never noticed a speed difference or anything.

I am using utorrent version 2.2.1 & I like it too.

I don't trust 3.x.x versions as I have heard that they have issues.

I use currently 2.0.4 (22967) but after this poll

and my observations on BitMeTV i'm going to move to 2.2.1 (25302)

Just couldn't find a good time to move several hundred torrents :)

why (22967) ???

I'm currently using uTorrent 3 latest build. But considering switching to 2.2.1 but there are so many builds...

For those who are interested, you can find all the older builds here: http://anonym.to/?http://www.oldversion.com/uTorrent.html

I use currently 2.2.1 because many trackers accept it, but i like Deluge 1.3.4

I am using Utorrent 2.0.1 and its been working perfectly.

personally I don't like GUI of versions 3 and above...

:)

Best version ever made

I'm using uTorrent 2.0.3 which is almost the same as the above and it just works. Plain and simple. ;)

Definitely 2.0.1 over here. I can't stand the gui of the later versions and plus this version is smooth as silk.

I use 2.2.1 myself. I think i liked 1.x.x better. I don't really have any problems with 2.2.1, so I haven't downgraded. But I refuse to upgrade, lol.

i think i'll be switching to 2.2.1 also.

3.x is just crap.

it's amazing how they can turn a great program into a piece of shit with bloatware and ads.

well it is the best version ver made gllobly accepted

I don't use it at all

1.8.5 on my seedbox and PC :)

I'm using the most up to date version, and keep updating..

Most of these posts don't even say why they're using older versions; they just say they're "better."

You clearly didn't even read the thread. You missed some posts like this one:

Using version 2.2.1 (25302)

Why it's good? Well, let's see:

• Stable

• No disk I/O and caching issues

• No ads

• No social features

• No streaming features

• No multimedia features

• No anti-virus integration

• Clean and fast UI:

1. It is considerably more responsive without visible delay

2. Search engine field that CAN BE hidden (while on that topic — every sane person expects this field to be used for filtering existing torrents and does not expect it to perform external web search)

3. Narrower rows in the main list. More information fits on the screen as a result

4. No comment/rating tabs (that don't go away even when you explicitly turn them off)

5. No dialog window that ask you to rate every single torrent you delete (while ratings has been explicitly turned off)

One problem that 2.2.1 has is "Apps" which you can not turn off, uTorrent keeps creating directories at every restart (at least App Pane can be hidden). And one minor annoyance is Find Content Pane (luckily can be hidden as well).

Using version 2.2.1 (25302)

Why it's good? Well, let's see:

• Stable

• No disk I/O and caching issues

• No ads

• No social features

• No streaming features

• No multimedia features

• No anti-virus integration

• Clean and fast UI:

1. It is considerably more responsive without visible delay

2. Search engine field that CAN BE hidden (while on that topic — every sane person expects this field to be used for filtering existing torrents and does not expect it to perform external web search)

3. Narrower rows in the main list. More information fits on the screen as a result

4. No comment/rating tabs (that don't go away even when you explicitly turn them off)

5. No dialog window that ask you to rate every single torrent you delete (while ratings has been explicitly turned off)

One problem that 2.2.1 has is "Apps" which you can not turn off, uTorrent keeps creating directories at every restart (at least App Pane can be hidden). And one minor annoyance is Find Content Pane (luckily can be hidden as well).

+1000000

Yes!! Hell Yes!! Looks like much of my opinion is already posted but I gonna type it all again.

I prefer the 2.2.1 over 3.x due to the extra useless features implementation direct integrated into the uTorrent.

May I ask where's the original motto went to? Does it slowly faded when BitTorrent acquired the rights on uTorrent development?

uTorrent original motto, light, fast, resource friendly, even Pentium 1 with only 75MHz and Windows 95 able to use it. Look at the current version, even my Intel Atom N230 with 2GB RAM can barely runs it, sucks up to 50% CPU which downloading just 1 torrent with only 100KB/s max,

I was looking forward the new GUI features of the 3.x but I'm now very disappointed, uTorrent has become bloated with those pretty much useless features, we, the royal uTorrent users just want a straight forward BT client that does what it suppose to, at its best.

Hello all, I am currently using uTorrent 2.2.1 (build 25249) and the only annoying issue is the Disk overloaded 100% error.

:(

At present, Enable caching of disk writes from Preferences > Advanced > Disk Cache > Advanced Cache Settings is unchecked.

Does Enable caching of disk reads need to be unchecked as well?

:|

Would any of you suggest tweaking the settings of the current version I am presently using, or recommend another version of a specific build?

:/

I sincerely apologise if my post does not belong to this thread. I had created a thread and asked a similar query in the past, but a senior member informed me that older versions are not supported anymore, and thus upon reading the title of this thread I felt my query would be entertained to some extent and I would get a possible suggestive solution or two.

Thank you all for having patience with me.

Archived