My encrypted torrent won't seed after being stopped.

I created an encrypted torrent and I started seeding. It was going fine until I had to restart my computer. I didn't stop the torrent before I shut it down since I forgot uTorrent was running in the background. When the computer finished restarting, I got an access denied message that I had to change the download location to fix. Well, I stopped getting that error, but when I pointed it to the files again, it insists on downloading the files from scratch instead of seeding them. I'm the one with the master copy of the files and I haven't seeded it 100% yet.

OK, so here's what I think is happening. (Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm curious to know.) An encrypted file is used to make it so the ISP can't tell that the traffic is torrent traffic and send out a false positive to the ISP who might wrongly assume that it's being used for illegal purposes. As that's the only purpose of encrypting a torrent, there's no reason why the torrent file itself (or magnet link) can't contain the key to decrypt the file. (I'd imagine that's what's being looked at when it starts downloading metadata.)

Whenever I try to resume the seeding, the encrypted torrent shows a file that contains "random" characters. (Showing that it's encrypted, so not truly random) It shows that name instead of the list of files. This could mean that uTorrent isn't checking to see if the files already exist on the machine in order to resume the download or to start seeding again.

A more reasonable way to make this work would be to decrypt the file list that most likely has a file size and hash for each file for hash checking at the end, and check to see if the files already exist on the system and see if the files are the same size as stated in the torrent file. After that, it's just a matter of downloading the missing parts (could be stored easily in a byte map) and then seed when finished or just seed in the case of the download already being complete.

An encrypted file is used to make it so the ISP can't tell that the traffic is torrent traffic
Nope, that is Protocol Encryption.

An encrypted .torrent file means the meta data cannot be read with having the correct encryption key.

Ahh, OK. Well, can't blame me for trying something new. It'd be nice if it was explained in maybe a help bubble or something on uTorrent so we didn't have this mess.

What's up with the "Private Torrent" option then?

Archived