Upload Stops once Speed Limit Set

aceso2896

I've looked everywhere and I can't find a thread similar to this or the original post I found from the last time I did this.

Every time I setup uTorrent on a new computer I do the basic setup and everything. On my personal machine I go through and do the optimized settings by going in and adjusting things as well. My problem that I am having (even on non optimized pc's) is that if I leave my "Maximum Upload Rate" (under Bandwidth) set to "0" I can seed at my max cap which is anywhere from 150-175 kB/s. Now the problem is if I go to limit it to say 130 or 100 (so I can play some games without lagging as much) all my torrents drop from their current speeds all the way down to 0 and won't increase unless I uncap it.

I've experienced this each time and on my last laptop I finally was able to configure it so it'd obey the speed limit while being able to cap it. After getting this new PC I haven't had much luck.

Everything else works as it should except for the upload speed limit. Is there anything that I can do to fix this that I am missing and just starring at me in the face?

Any help is appreciated.

Yup, I went through that thread, but I'll go ahead and list all of it here with details.

EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed above (please be as explicit and specific as you can). Tell us what your changed settings are.

Used the calculator here, http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html, to obtain settings to place in the bandwith dialog box. Below are other changes I made:

gui.show_notrrents_node -- false

net.max_halfopen - 50 (tried the suggested 4 and still nothing)

Everything else is on the default settings.

Bandwith dialog box:

Maximum upload rate (kB/s): [0: unlimited] ---- I have it set to 0 and it works fine. If I change it to anything then all my uploads drop to 0.

Maximum download rate (kB/s): [0: unlimited] -- 0

Apply rate limit to transport overhead -- Checked (tried it without check)

Apply rate limit to uTP connections -- Checked (tried it without check)

Global maximum number of connections: 330

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 131

Number of upload slots per torrent: 8

Use additional upload slots if upload speed < 90% -- checked

Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Icon color is green and everything works perfectly except when I limit the upload speed but the icon stays the same. Port is 58751 and tried various ones with same result.

Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Windows 8 (But it does it on my Windows 7 and XP computers too). AVG for antivirus and that's it.

Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Manufacturer Pace Plc

Model 3801HGV

Provider AT&T

I got it setup to work before with the same equipment, just having the issue again with a new copy of utorrent on another machine.

Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload. Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. When you select a testing mirror, use the ones that are geographically closest to you.

DSL. Speed tests provided the following:

Ping: 36ms

Download: 17.28 Mbps

Upload: 1.46 Mbps

Basic computer hardware specifications (motherboard and/or chipset, CPU, RAM, drive type, etc.)

Your list of running processes (get both):

a) get HijackThis from www.trendmicro.com, run it, view the log, and post the contents here

B) get Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com, run it, Ctrl+D (to show the lower DLL pane), select the µTorrent process from the list, Ctrl+S (and save the list somewhere you'll find easily -- like the Desktop), then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here

If it's really needed I can provide it, the problem is as I said it does it on every machine I've tried it on ranging from a 7 year old laptop to a 10 year old desktop to computers that are about a year old.

Though the only thing I can see that I listed above that would even help is the settings as the problem itself is weird.

If there's anything else that might provide some insight let me know.

Might be the router?

Can you try at another location, maybe at a friend's place?

Well I thought it was maybe the router, but as I mentioned above it's worked properly with the same router as well. I know there was some setting that had to be changed, but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere again. I have tested with other internet connections and still same thing, even if I go without the router here at the house and plug straight in.

To access the hidden menu=

- Press shift-F2 and Preferences

- Press shift-F2 and advanced

- set ul_rate_download_thre to 5K or 10K

Shift-F2 does nothing and if it's the preference menu via the toolbar and then go to advanced there is no option saying ul_rate_download_thre.

There's queue.slow.ul_threshold and it's at 1000

along with queue.dont_count_slow_ul = true

Both keys (Shift-F2) need to be pressed simutaneously.

Tried that and every possible combination. Such as hold Shift then F2. Spam them both at the same time, etc.

Even googled it and the menu it use to take you to is the same as the one that you get with Ctrl + P or manually clicking preference option.

You can enter Preferences normally then go to Advanced then exit out and then press Shift+F2 and it will display the new Advanced.

Or just do exactly like Beastly wrote, works as good.

Yea tried both ways and nothing. Using 3.3 build 29625 if that makes a difference.

Me thinks the problem you are having is you previously exited in advanced settings.

Try this....Go into preferences, then go into bandwidth...exit out from there....

Then do ...

- Press shift-F2 and Preferences

- Press shift-F2 and advanced

Ok after spending hours trying to get it to pop up and constant reboots it finally went into the menu.

I changed set ul_rate_download_thre to 10K as suggested

Prior to me changing it was at 0. Probably won't be able to fully test it till later tonight/tomorrrow.

Ok after spending hours trying to get it to pop up and constant reboots it finally went into the menu.

I changed set ul_rate_download_thre to 10K as suggested

Prior to me changing it was at 0. Probably won't be able to fully test it till later tonight/tomorrrow.

I don't think it will help with this issue. Just go for 3.3.1 .

I don't think it will help with this issue. Just go for 3.3.1 .

So yea, I tried it and it's still dropping to 0. I did have 3.3.1 and upgraded it right before my first post to see if maybe it was something fixed, but it still did it. So it's been doing it in both versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Even downgraded and issue persists. Today was the first time I've had to limit my download speeds and even those are affected.

So basically if I limit the speed of something it practically stops doing that task. IE if I limit upload it comes to a halt and same with download.

Any suggestions?

• 4 months later...

Archived