label rule system VS "Append the torrent's label to the directory name"

RockyMM

Well,

Well,

Well...

I am quite disappointed with label rule system. What could be done in just few clicks with "Append the torrent's label to the directory name" now is needlessly complicated.

Let's check this user story:

As a user I want to move my completed downloads so I could finely organize them. Each torrent can have a label that I choose. Depending on that label the torrent will end up in a separate directory.

User steps - Append the torrent's label to the directory name style

1. Go to uTorrent preferences
  2. Check Append the torrent's label to the directory name checkbox
  3. Add torrent to utorrent
  4. In the dialog that would appear choose a label or create a new one
  5. ???
  6. The torrent will end up in a separate directory bearing the name of the label

User steps - Label rule system

1. Go to uTorrent preferences
  2. Create a label by
    1. typing label name
    2. clicking plus sign
  3. From the dropbox choose newly created label
  4. Click "..." button to choose download location
    1. This can involve a lot of unnecessary clicking through file system if I want the behavior as with the old utorrent
  5. Click plus sign
  6. Add torrent to utorrent
  7. In the dialog that would appear choose a label or create a new one
  8. ???
  9. The torrent will end up in a separate directory bearing the name of the label

This, rather simple, analysis shows that for what previously took 5 steps, now takes 8 steps.

Additionally, if I create new label during the process of addition of new torrent, now I need to go to Preferences to choose where this new label would be stored - which involves a lot of clicking.

Seriously, I don't know whose idea was this, but clearly you have not thought this through.

Please, please, please, bring back Append the torrent's label to the directory name!

I cannot for the life of me figure out how this new system works. I can't seem to effect any changes such as removing existing rules or adding my own. There is no documentation in the help file about this (it still references the old system). I just did a fresh windows install and a fresh utorrent install of 3.4 stable. I had a number of labels previously that I organized my download folders with, and I'm completely unable to understand how to recreate it.

Discovered a workaround for the disappeared "Append the torrent's label to the directory name"

Enable your uTorrent's web interface, go to it using your browser, adjust the settings from there - the "append..." checkbox is still present in that interface, and it still works (just tested it).

Enable web interface:

• Open the uTorrent program and in the menus, choose Options>Preferences
  • In the dialog box, expand "Advanced" and click "Web UI"
  • In the right side of the dialog box:
    • check (turn on) the "Enable Web UI" checkbox
    • Put in a username and password (even if just for a minute - you can turn all this off once we're done). Remember these authentication values.
    • Check the Connectivity> "Alternative listening port..." box, and type in a port value.(I couldn't make the Web GUI work without choosing an alternative listening port). In my example, I'll use port 23456; you can use anything, but I recommend a number higher than 4096. In any case, remember this port value.
    • Click "OK"

Go to the Web UI using your browser:

• On the same computer that's running uTorrent, open your favorite (compatible) browser and enter the URL http://localhost:[port]/gui. the [port] value was determined above. In my example, the URL is http://localhost:23456/gui
  • You should be prompted to log in. Use the authentication values from above.

Adjust the setting by using the Web UI:

• Once logged in with your browser, click the little "preferences" gear icon at the top  of the web page.
  • On the left side of the "Preferences" dialog box, click "Directories"
  • On the right side of the same dialog box, check (turn on) the "Append the torrent's label" box.
  • Click the dialog box's "Apply" button  (or "OK" button, but you can save a step below by using "Apply")

I suggest testing with a quick download now, but that it of course optional. WHat I mean by "testing" is you should go fetch a torrent, apply a label to it (one for which you haven't built a label/directory mapping rule) and see if it gets placed in the desired subfolder when it's finished. For impatience, I suggest using a small-sized torrent with lots of seeders. Sorry, I won't include troubleshooting steps here in case it fails; I'm already using more time typing this than I'd wanted to use :)

Turn off the Web UI (also optional):

(you can even do this from within the web page!)

• In the same browser window, same dialog box, on the left side, click "Web UI" and uncheck (turn off) the "Enable Web UI" checkbox. This will give you a "Web UI was disbaled" window.
  • Close the browser window/tab

Thank you for WEBui glitch lol! onnly on checkbox makes the difference lol!
I really don't understand why this functionality was removed. It was great. 

I just followed the previous post tut, and yeah i get all i need! FINALLY!!!

I think the team should consider this function again. It's bugged, it's more complex than the old one...

Discovered a workaround for the disappeared "Append the torrent's label to the directory name"

Enable your uTorrent's web interface, go to it using your browser, adjust the settings from there - the "append..." checkbox is still present in that interface, and it still works (just tested it).

Enable web interface:

• Open the uTorrent program and in the menus, choose Options>Preferences
  • In the dialog box, expand "Advanced" and click "Web UI"
  • In the right side of the dialog box:
    • check (turn on) the "Enable Web UI" checkbox
    • Put in a username and password (even if just for a minute - you can turn all this off once we're done). Remember these authentication values.
    • Check the Connectivity> "Alternative listening port..." box, and type in a port value.(I couldn't make the Web GUI work without choosing an alternative listening port). In my example, I'll use port 23456; you can use anything, but I recommend a number higher than 4096. In any case, remember this port value.
    • Click "OK"

Go to the Web UI using your browser:

• On the same computer that's running uTorrent, open your favorite (compatible) browser and enter the URL http://localhost:[port]/gui. the [port] value was determined above. In my example, the URL is http://localhost:23456/gui
  • You should be prompted to log in. Use the authentication values from above.

Adjust the setting by using the Web UI:

• Once logged in with your browser, click the little "preferences" gear icon at the top  of the web page.
  • On the left side of the "Preferences" dialog box, click "Directories"
  • On the right side of the same dialog box, check (turn on) the "Append the torrent's label" box.
  • Click the dialog box's "Apply" button  (or "OK" button, but you can save a step below by using "Apply")

I suggest testing with a quick download now, but that it of course optional. WHat I mean by "testing" is you should go fetch a torrent, apply a label to it (one for which you haven't built a label/directory mapping rule) and see if it gets placed in the desired subfolder when it's finished. For impatience, I suggest using a small-sized torrent with lots of seeders. Sorry, I won't include troubleshooting steps here in case it fails; I'm already using more time typing this than I'd wanted to use :)

Turn off the Web UI (also optional):

(you can even do this from within the web page!)

• In the same browser window, same dialog box, on the left side, click "Web UI" and uncheck (turn off) the "Enable Web UI" checkbox. This will give you a "Web UI was disbaled" window.
  • Close the browser window/tab

THANK YOU for this workaround. I like to download things to my SSD drive, then have it move it over to my slower 5400rpm drive. This workaround allows me to download things from my RSS feed and have it sorted out in the proper folders based on labels (e.g. */TV/(name of TV show)). What a time saver. Thank you again.

• 5 weeks later...

Personally I love the idea with the new solution. Yeah, there might be a few more clicks involved - might even cost you a few seconds(!) of your life. But some of us really don't want every damn "label-location" to be subdirs of the same, central location. Under #nix we can tinker about with mounts as we wish, but I would guess most users are still on Windows. While tecnically possible there too, thats a whole different ball game. I for my part, have 4 different drives to sort stuff out to. RSS sorts some of the stuff out, but some always have to be labeled manually. And those, still go to different drives and directories.

Now only if we could have the option to send these ships straight to port...

...And labeled torrents would actually end up at their set destination, instead of global default location.

But why, @pr0xZen, cannot we have both.

For a year "Append label..." was turned off in µTorrent, and only with this hack we, who want to use it, can use it. You, who want to use new and clunky system, feel free to do so, but don't deny my needs and my sense of comfort.

• 5 months later...

Archived