Fresh Install, No Webui

Hi all.  On a fresh install, when I go to myip:8080/gui I am asked for a login, and after logging in with default I am given a blank browser window.

I am running Ubuntu server 14.04 Development Branch, just tried to set up uTorrent server (v3_3).  I followed a walkthrough, extracted the download to /opt/utorrent-server...../ I symlinked utserver to /usr/bin. I started it with: 

utserver -settingspath /opt/utorrent-server-alpha-v3_3 &

and it returned a pid#, so everything started well.  Following instructions, I go to ip:8080/gui   It asks for a login, u=admin, p=_blank_, it is accepted and I am presented with a blank screen.  

http://www.utorrent.com/help/guides/webui says at this point to close and reload the browser (I am using Chrome btw), which I have done to no avail.  Switched to Firefox for the same result.

That page also suggests adding a string to the url, which I tried to no success.  I checked the contents of webui.zip (which exists) and it seems to be intact.  I am completely lost.

Any thoughts?

**More Info**

This is a headless server, all my work is done over ssh.  I cannot test localhost:8080/gui for that reason.  I have also ensured that 8080 is open on the firewall.

Unless you can find the logfile, add it to your utserver command line "-logfile <path>" and see if it tells you anything. Maybe it's having trouble opening the web port or you have a typo in your settings file or something. I think most of the conf settings only matter once so if you change them you probably want to delete settings.dat so that the conf is processed again.

Hi all.  On a fresh install, when I go to myip:8080/gui I am asked for a login, and after logging in with default I am given a blank browser window.

I am running Ubuntu server 14.04 Development Branch, just tried to set up uTorrent server (v3_3).  I followed a walkthrough, extracted the download to /opt/utorrent-server...../ I symlinked utserver to /usr/bin. I started it with: 

utserver -settingspath /opt/utorrent-server-alpha-v3_3 &
and it returned a pid#, so everything started well.  Following instructions, I go to ip:8080/gui   It asks for a login, u=admin, p=_blank_, it is accepted and I am presented with a blank screen.  

http://www.utorrent.com/help/guides/webui says at this point to close and reload the browser (I am using Chrome btw), which I have done to no avail.  Switched to Firefox for the same result.

That page also suggests adding a string to the url, which I tried to no success.  I checked the contents of webui.zip (which exists) and it seems to be intact.  I am completely lost.

Any thoughts?

**More Info**

This is a headless server, all my work is done over ssh.  I cannot test localhost:8080/gui for that reason.  I have also ensured that 8080 is open on the firewall.

use -daemon instead of backgrounding. :) Probably not a bad idea to specify -logfile <path> too.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started having this problem, too. I get the login screen, but after that, nothing but a blank web page. I have tried the above suggestions. My launch command is 

utserver -settingspath /opt/utorrent-server-alpha-v3_3/ -daemon

I've added -logfile to that, but no log file is created in the settings directory. 

The problem occured after I spent some time trying to fix a small number of downloads that were stuck at "Checked" (0% -- nothing happening). I deleted some .dat files, but no help with the stuck downloads. I also added a password to utserver, while I was looking around.

For an unrelated reason I had to reboot the computer, and now I have an unresponsive webgui. I've gone so far as to delete everything in the settings directory except for the executable, thinking that some bad setting was making utserver unhappy, but still no webgui. I can log in, but blank screen after that.

That said, utserver is running, and I see that it has recreated resume.dat, resume.dat.old, dht_feed.dat, and dht_feed.dat.old, so it's alive. 

Just no webgui at http://localhost:8080/gui/web/index.html

and no logfile, at least in the settings directory.

Oh, I tried it with both Chrome and Firefox. 

• 1 month later...

I fiddled around trying to put the settings and config files in a .utorrent directory in my home directory, but it didn't work for some reason. When I moved the webui.zip, setting and utserver.conf files to the program directory it worked. I had issues with other things which could have caused the problems, and did a reboot in between, but I haven't bothered to retry anything since it works now.

So I suggest you do the same... delete all the *.dat* files where ever they are and start from scratch. Have the utserver.conf and webui.zip files in the program directory.

Start the program from a terminal and specify the settings, config file and the log file locations, in my case: /opt/utserver/utserver -configfile /opt/utserver/utserver.conf -settingspath /opt/utserver/ -logfile /home/johan/utserver.log

(Yes, you must specify the name of the log file.)

If it works then later start with -daemon like you used to.

You could try start with a fresh config file also, I used the template from Rich.T. at http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/73370-sample-utserverconfig-file/?p=497396

Note: I use the alternative webui by Ultima that can be found at http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/49588-%C2%B5torrent-webui/ - it works better with the screen resolution on my laptop, but I don't know of any functional differences.

Archived