WebUI

Txukie

I installed uTorrent on my Ouya and, while using a LAN sniffer I noticed that the port 8080 was open on the Ouya when uTorrent was running. So I tested it with http://<ouyaip>/gui and voila, the WebUI login prompt showed up. I would love to use that to control my uTorrent from my mobile phone, however I can't find anywhere how to configure the username and password, or what the default is.

Bad news I think

It looks like you can get past the prompts by just entering "Admin" and no password, but when I do that there is just a blank page...

I have a feeling the feature isn't actually implemented, though I would really love to be mistaken because I'm looking to do the exact same thing

@schnurlos: Problem is that Txukie is presumably running µTorrent on Android, not Windows :) I've never run µTorrent on Android, so I don't myself know the answer, but my first inclination would be to dig around in the configuration files (wherever they're stored in Android). Maybe one of the devs can pick up this question. Still I would actually be surprised if this were actually completely implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

Officially? No. Unofficially? I did some jabbing and got it to work on my mako. I didn't test it extensively but basic control and remotely adding torrents seemed to work properly. Very very basically I started the client on my phone, used adb running as root to pull settings.dat from my phone. Set a webui username and password on my desktop client. Used Ultima's BEE to copy the webui.salt and webui.hashword keys from my desktop client settings to the settings.dat pulled from my phone. Added a webui.username binary key at the bottom. Closed uTorrent Client and FC'd it on my phone. Pushed the modded settings.dat over the original. Pushed webui.zip to the same directory.

Wallah, seemingly fine webui. Starting/stopping and remotely adding a .torrent worked at least. So basically the way I did it you need root and an understanding of Android. Not user friendly at all I'm afraid. There doesn't seem to be an easier way, you simply aren't meant to use the webui on the phone client.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Kitsoran,

I'm trying to do what you did, I'm a relative novice at this, but am willing to put in the time and effort to make it work.

Here's my status. On my PC, I set the username / password and found the webui.salt and webui.hashword keys in the settings.dat from my pc using hexeditor neo. I also have the webui.zip lying around in the same folder on the PC. Now just one problem, I can't locate the settings.dat for utorrent on my OUYA. I'm using FilePwn and turned on the option of showing hidden files, and it does let me explore the root folder as well, I just don't know where to look.

Any suggestions?

Okay, I made it work. Interestingly, I failed using Kitsoran's method, and reverted back to the original settings.dat file, and then simply accessed it using the default username "admin" and no password. Working like a charm. I think Kitsoran's suggestion of copying the WebUI.zip in the same directory did the trick, that's probably what's missing for Gamma1984 as well.

Ok, another issue. The WebUI is served only as long as the app is running. Once you quit, the service keeps downloading the torrent, but the WebUI is no longer accessible. Running apps show 1 main process and 2 services (PlayerService and CoreService) in use even when the app is closed. So the process as well as services are running, but the WebUI isn't. Any suggestions how to go about solving this ?

------------------------------------

EDIT: Must've been the service acting flaky, but after a restart the WebUI is presented even after the app has closed, and has been doing so for many hours and after many restarts, so this is a non-issue.

Encountered another serious issue though. Adding a torrent through WebUI sets the download directory to /data/data/com......utorrent/... so basically the torrents are downloaded in internal storage, which is useless. Have tried importing settings from the PC settings.dat like dir_active_download, to no avail. Wasted many hours on this now. Even tinkered with the .txt setting files and going through the contents of the WebUI.zip too to find a setting to change this, no luck.

Right now, I've just set the torrents to not start on being added, and then modify the download directories from the OUYA app interface, but this pretty much beats the purpose of having a WebUI.

@Kitsoran: please see if your setup faces the same issue, and if so I hope you're in a better position to guide me to solve this. I've run out of ideas.

@mohammadmansur: I no longer have the app installed on my phone. BTW, you shouldn't use a hexeditor, you can't just straight copy stuff into settings.dat. You can use Ultimas BEncode Editor in a thread somewhere on these forums to look at and alter settings. Also read the warnings.

I can tell you what I would try to do if I were trying to get it to work, on the PC µT client in CTRL+P>Advanced>Webui, there are settings for setting directories you can save to from the webui. In *normal* use these directories become available for selection in the WebUI. Once you got those keys worked out you could try setting it to wherever you want on the OUYA. Also the key for the default download directory may be needed. Try to get it working for locations on the PC first then alter it to suit the OUYA. Oh hey, the Android client doesn't have a default directory setting does it?

Note that I didn't just copy my desktop settings.dat to my phone because it broke the app in my case, I used the BEE to copy and paste the keys I wanted from my PC settings.dat to my Android settings.dat, deleted .fileguard (mentioned in the warnings in the thread I believe), and sorted the keys. Also, where are you trying to save it? SD Card? Watch out for the kitkat SD card nerf.

Also keep in mind you're trying to do something the Android client wasn't meant for, while it appears to be working, there could be backend functionality required that's missing. Even if you succeed, there's no guarantee it'll keep working through client updates :( | If you continue to pursue this, good luck!

Yeah, I figured out about the BEncode Editor, that's the one I'm using now. Btw, I think you hit the nail on its head. I'd totally overlooked the directory settings in the WebUI section. Going to try that now.

Not using it on a phone. Have set up my OUYA to be my torrent box, a media server and a file server (via a SMB server app), and the target location is an external 3TB HDD. Everything working perfectly except this nagging problem.

Btw, I was surprised that other than not being able to set the default download dir via the WebUI, I can set pretty much everything else from the WebUI and everything works (including the scheduler!). And no, the Android client doesn't have a default dir setting but you can change the dir per torrent file.

Will try importing the keys after setting the default dirs. in webui on my pc. Please explain about the .fileguard thingy, haven't heard about that before. Also, do we need to sort the keys and will the BEncoder do that for me?

Thank you so much, appreciate your help.

Okay, no luck with setting the WebUI download directories as well. Works with the PC app and WebUI, but copying the key to the OUYA settings.dat still doesn't yield the required results. 

Simply can't seem to achieve success manually editing the OUYA settings.dat AT ALL. Every time I make a change, OUYA overwrites it with its own settings.dat. Have tried deleting the .fileguard line, sorting the keys, deleting settings.dat.old, everything.

Still next time UT runs, it replaces the settings.dat with a new one. I set the download folders, the new settings.dat has that entry removed. Must have to do something more to have OUYA not think it's a bad / tampered settings.dat

I think I read the reason you can't change download folders from the WebUI is for security reasons.

Interesting that the keys are being removed. That leads me to believe the functionality is incomplete/missing on Android µTorrent.

In desktop Linux you could mount a drive to any folder you wanted. Maybe you can mount the external drive to the folder uT is saving to. That might be a viable work around. If you run the mount command it will show you the current mount points. You'd need to find the name of the drive (hopefully stays consistent or uses a unique name), and then try mounting it to the folder. If that works, you could modify the fstab file to perform the op automatically when you turn the Ouya on.

I don't have any Android devices I can try this on, so I couldn't tell you what exactly to look for or whether or not it would actually work. In theory it should, in practice I haven't heard of this being done on Android.

Archived