a lot of fluff

Xterrestrial

I was wondering whether someone can explain why installing uTorrent (portable) requires that I also download additional files during the installation procedure, unlike most other programs, instead of simply putting what we need into the original package. Also, why does this forum want to run flash application with logon? As I am not a programmer, I am inclined to ask what exactly do these additional steps add of value to the processes? They seem rather like pfishing, frankly.

Do you mean that it asks you to install other programs? I find that a lot of free programs ask you this these days. It's a way of making money, as those companies are paying them to include their programs into the install. It's like advertising. It can be kind of sneaky. Just always make sure you click "manual install" or "advanced installation" when you install any program. That way you can un-check anything you don't want. I'm not sure if this is what you we're referring to but I hope I helped.

Having gotten no reply to my question from an informed source, I am inclined to say that my assumption in regard to the phishing was correct. That is disappointing. Therefore, my feature request is that uTorrent marketing department be removed from the procedure for downloading, which should be left to developers and users.  Put all the program in the initial package so that it can be downloaded completely without having to turn around to get the second half of it during the installation process. Doing so would make it less intrusive, more secure and private.

> " That and the fact that your question is naively silly."

My question was perfectly clear, and it was a perfectly valid question, too, which I would like to have an answer to. If you can provide one, I would like to hear it, even from you. Instead of simply throwing out your silly, personal opinions about how you feel about my manner of asking or responding to answers, you may want to consider that my failing to respond might very well have been interpreted as an indication of satisfaction with his comments. Frankly, if his comments were not helpful, then yours were even less so. But if you have something intelligent to say about my question, I would gladly defer to your opinion in this matter. Otherwise, I am "simply" going to take the matter as finished and the lack of other responses as confirmation of my assessment.

Archived