Utorrent will not connect to peers after program has been open for sometime

codyh1192

Hey all so if I launch Utorrent and put in a torrent it works fine. However if I come back a few hours later and try to put in another it will sit on connecting to peers. If I let this this for an hour or so it will eventually connect, however if I close the program and open it again it will instantly find peers. I'll list my setup below, I've read through how to set up Utorrent and as far as I can tell I'm doing it right.

- I've randomly generated a port number

- The port number doesn't change and I have port forwarding set on my router for the port number

- set Unlimited download and respectable upload

- I'm using a proxy server/VPN (that's all working fine it's set for sock5 using Private Internet Access)

- max number of connections 200, max number of connected peers 50, number of upload slots per torrent 4

- encryption is enabled with legacy connections enabled as well

- I've checked add a firewall exception ( I think I also added one manually)

If I need to list anything else let me know. I've run Glasnost bit-torrent test and I am not being throttled by my ISP. I'm not sure why it won't connect to peers once it has been up for sometime but any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I think, you did every thing right, then why you are getting problem? Try without adding a firewall exception.

Okay I'm confused as to how this would help. Wouldn't that not allow some incoming and outgoing connections if not all of them? My thought is that port is somehow getting shut off or blocked, but I have the port open and forwarded. Thanks for the reply.

ok if you can tell us what file did you try to download so others can test that file download to see if that problem exist with their settings to confirm what the problem is?

It's not limited to a single file it's all torrents after utorrent had been left open for a hours. The torrents will eventually connect to peers but it takes an hour or so. Thanks for the reply.

It's not limited to a single file it's all torrents after utorrent had been left open for a hours. The torrents will eventually connect to peers but it takes an hour or so. Thanks for the reply.

This means the seeders either is bandwidth limited or offline and or seeds only at certain time/day. And you can't make them seed any sooner or when you want them to seed-they seed when they seed. Also if there isn't other seeders of the same file your Ut will be waiting there until they connect and seed. Also ISP can throttle Ut programs on their internet if they see or detect file sharing occuring as well so there are many factors and since we have no specific files your having problems with no one can know for sure what is the cause.

• 1 month later...

I've had the same problem for years now.  I regularly have to restart UT to get things moving again.  I was using 3.2.1 then 3.3.2.  Now version 3.4.2 32126--Only installed for 2 days though.  (I've also tried the recommened settings file from an Admin here -- no difference.)

v2.2.1 did not do this.

I often see a logged message something like "max connections exceeded" "peer blocked."  (Sorry, it's not in my Logger right now so I can't quote it. Just bad data from peers I think.)

I am using Forced encyrption and NOT allowing legacy connections because I keep getting ISP letters. (Still getting them! But fewer.) Preferred encryption doesn't help.

No VPN or proxy.

Unlimited Download speed,

150kb UP limit/ 75k when downloading.

3 active torrents, (3,2)

500 Global max connections,

100 peers per torrent,

6 upload slots per torrent,

Cable 100mbps business line, but shared with 32 apartments - 6 routers, 1 modem.

Ethernet line 

Download speeds average 1.5mBps so it's good when all peers can connect.  The Setup Guide recommends 180kBps Up limit, but I keep it set to 75kB because I want to be considerate to my neighbors. (Hogging Upload bandwidth is what slows our network.)

• 1 month later...

Download speeds average 1.5mBps so it's good when all peers can connect.  The Setup Guide recommends 180kBps Up limit, but I keep it set to 75kB because I want to be considerate to my neighbors. (Hogging Upload bandwidth is what slows our network.)

This might be the problem if they the Network manager controls your internet that you share it means they put a limit to each of the users bandwidth and that most likely the case why your hitting your limit. If this was your own there would be more you can do but since your using a network that everyone uses someone the IT manager most likely said ok everyone gets this amount of bandwidth usage and no more. With this setting maybe that is why you only get that bandwidth and no more. I doubt your setting will change since whom manages the network most likely sets every users a specific amount of bandwidth and that will not let anyone take more then they are allowed.

Archived