uTorrent v3.4.2 creates trackerless (without any trackers) .torrent files from Magnet Links

OddRamos

uTorrent v3.4.2 creates trackerless (without any trackers) .torrent files when using Magnet Links from public torrent indexing sites, such as TPB or KAT.ph.

I've tested Magnet Links of various popular torrents on TPB and KAT.ph using both Google Chrome and Firefox. After using a magnet link, I waited until all torrent metadata (including a full list of trackers) and file list are fully loaded from other peers before starting downloading the actual content of the torrent. After download was completed, I removed torrent from uTorrent client (without removing .torrent file). After loading that .torrent file again with uTorrent, I see that .torrent file being trackerless and <Null> is showed under tracker column in uTorrent.

If those .torrent files are downloaded straight from the website, .torrent files have trackers.

I've also tested those Magnet Links using Vuze v5.4 and Vuze created normal .torrent files with full list of trackers.

Is this behavior of uTorrent v3.4.2 with Magnet Links is by design or is it a bug?

Could other people test this issue, please?

Thank you.

This problem with trackerless. torrent files doesn't cause any issues during the first download, because trackers from the magnet links initially are added into uTorrent client itself correctly.

However, uTorrent created trackerless .torrent files. If user wants to reseed the torrent, no trackers will be loaded from .torrent files that uTorrent created from the Magnet Link.

In my opinion, this is a serious issue that compromises the longevity of a particular torrent as times goes by. It's not a concern for a typical leecher, but this issue with creation of trackerless .torrent files from Magnet Links is indeed an issue for seeders.

Could somebody test it please?

1. Set uTorrent to save .torrent files in your desired directory. I always use this feature, because I want to have all my .torrent files in one directory, so I could reseed those torrents any time in the future when needed:

uTorrent Options - Preferences - Directories - Check Store .torrent in: (choose directory you prefer)

907d8b6c1ec49a3ebc33b044cd45a9676bf0add0

2. Make uTorrent show Tracker column. Right lick on column header and add Tracker column to it (see the image at the end of my post)

3. Use any magnet link of any torrent you want from TPB or kat.ph using Chrome or Firefox and start downloading that torrent. Note that there is a tracker info in uTorrent ​Tracker column:

35f1298af04950ea5960cb8871c0d819f0e79776

4. Stop downloading that torrent and remove that torrent from uTorrent client without removing .torrent file (simply remove the torrent by marking a torrent and pressing Delete)

4. Navigate to directory in which you told uTorrent to store .torrents files in.

5. Open that .torrent file with uTorrent and start downloading the contents again.

6. Note: <Null> appears under uTorrent ​Tracker column. Torrent is trackerless. If there is insufficient amount of peers for DHT or Peer Exchange to work, you won't be able to find other peers and upload your contents to them successfully, you won't be able to reseed the torrent.

757a61f07266bc752c6d04d20fa3bf2e69d84fd7

Could somebody check this issue and report back the results you got?

Thank you.

+2 ... The trackers are not being stored in that .torrent file, so they are not loaded... I guess they are "stored" as part of the magnet link. So, if you want to save them, "copy" the magnet link \ and paste it somewhere... Still, is a bug, or a missing feature

Saving proper .torrent files with trackers is crucial for longevity of torrents, because it allows to successfully reseed torrents in the future. However, reseeding is impossible with trackerless .torrent files.

In my opinion, the main reason of creating, saving and storing .torrent files is for reseeding in the future, therefore I see creation of trackerless .torrent files as a bug.

I've tested various Magnet Links on TPB and KAT.ph using Vuze v5.4Vuze created normal .torrent files with full list of trackers.

If Vuze is able to do it, uTorrent should be able to do it too!

What about getting this bug fixed / extended feature implemented in uTorrent?

DHT only works well if there are plenty of peers, when the swarm is big.

I was unable to reseed unpopular torrents with small amount of peers with trackerless .torrent files over DHT. Adding trackers manually solved the problem.

I strongly believe that .torrent files should be created with trackers and not trackerless

Vuze creates .torrent files with trackers from Magnet Links.

That's my personal experience with using DHT only (without any trackers) with unpopular, older torrents after loading trackerless .torrent files created by uTorrent.

Adding trackers manually, resulted in larger swarm, because peers were found using both: DHT and trackers.

DHT + trackers = successful, higher efficiency reseeding of unpopular torrents. 

Once again, I strongly believe that uTorrent should create .torrent files with trackers and not trackerlessThat's only my opinion.

Any chances of getting this implemented in future builds of uTorrent?

Thank you.

Archived