Error Cannot open torrent file

magicka3000

I'm having a couple issues actually.  One is I just bought a new computer and am using Windows 8.  I had all of my stuff on an external drive which as far as I can tell did not change drive letters.  When I went to install utorrent, it recognized everything in that everything was all back in utorrent, but I get one of two errors.  The first is former volume not mounted.  

Now I read the topic on this issue and noted that you can just set the download location and re-check the torrent.  This works except that it is not all the way downloaded, which I don't understand.  The files are all there and I am absolutely certain I downloaded it.  Before I changed computers, I had utorrent running seeding these torrents or files.  Some of them after they have re-checked are 99.9% downloaded, others are at 80% or even as little as 15%.  It does re-download or finish downloading, but it's almost like it's downloading it twice.  I have it going to the same directory.  I mean it would have to be for utorrent to even recognize it all in the first place.  Even though there are no additional files it appears to have been downloaded, the available space on my harddrive will go down.  

The second issue is an Error cannot open torrent file.  I even go to advanced and then to set download location and find the .torrent file, do a re-check and it still has this error.  I have the directory set up to the same hard drive I just mentioned where the finished files are.  When I go to find the .torrent file and open it, utorrent gives me the message that you are trying to load something which is already there and asks if I was to reload trackers.  I say yes and it still has that error.  So I'm not able to seed anything that I've already downloaded.  

Thanks.  

So once I get myself more organzied, I can just get rid of the LOADED files?  I am using Auto Load and it was same location as .torrent storage.  Just created a new directory for .torrent files since I now realize how important the .torrent files are. 

On a separate note, this should be a relatively smooth process right?  I will probably by next year be setting up a NAS server and thus, all of my torrents will be on a different drive, maybe a server of some sort.  It seems all you would need to do is right click on the file>advanced>set download location, but not this simple it seems.  Thanks.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Dead Knight for everything.  You are very helpful.  I would like to thoroughly know how to and use utorrent.  So for your directories, put new downloads in is: E/My Documents/uTorrent.  Move completed downloads to E/My Documents/uTorrent only wouldn't this be one and the same directory?  Store .torrent files in E/My Documents/.torrents  This would be the directory where you would want want the .torrent files for furure use correct?  Move .torrents for finished jobs to E/My Documents/uTorrent.  Now wouldn've that be the same directory?  The auto load is the only thing I still don't understand.  Automatically load torrents from E/My Documents/uTorrent. 

I was trying to print screen the options that I'm sure you are aware I'm talking about in uTorrent, but I don't even know how to do pntscreen on my computer.  I would really like to run uTorrent as quickly and effeciefiecly as possible.  I was to learn how to organize my directories properies so they are easy to find and I don't have to go through hell like I just did just because I bought a new computer or decide to buy a bigger external hard drive. 

What do you think?  Could you please provide me some pointers please!  I am a N=O=O=B and I have been going at this for over three years now.  Read lots of stickys.  Everybody seems to get it but me.  Thank you. 

Archived