Max Down speed?

katsu_ramen15

I'm going to upgrade to 50mbps internet next week and I might upgrade even furthur to 105mbps. Problem is, I don't know if it's worth. Is there a maximum download speed for utorrent? All I have been seeing is 1 - 2 MB/s. If my math is right, with 50 mbps, down speed should be about 6250 KB/s (or 6.25 MB/s) and around double on 105. If Max is 1-2 MB/s then more than likely I won't be going to 105. So is there a download speed cap?

I'm going to upgrade to 50mbps internet next week and I might upgrade even furthur to 105mbps. Problem is, I don't know if it's worth. Is there a maximum download speed for utorrent? All I have been seeing is 1 - 2 MB/s. If my math is right, with 50 mbps, down speed should be about 6250 KB/s (or 6.25 MB/s) and around double on 105. If Max is 1-2 MB/s then more than likely I won't be going to 105. So is there a download speed cap?

Bandwidth doesn't equal faster download. Your seeder from the other side also have bandwidth speed handicapp to work with as well. And no just cause you upgraded your internet that is no gurantee your torrent download from seeders will increase anymore then what the seeder allows or their ISP permits bandwidth for thier uploading for you to download. Also your ISP could slow down you internet if they detect torrent usage as well so it's not just the seeder bandwidth you have to contend with.

Bandwidth doesn't equal faster download. Your seeder from the other side also have bandwidth speed handicapp to work with as well. And no just cause you upgraded your internet that is no gurantee your torrent download from seeders will increase anymore then what the seeder allows or their ISP permits bandwidth for thier uploading for you to download. Also your ISP could slow down you internet if they detect torrent usage as well so it's not just the seeder bandwidth you have to contend with.

I did some research and the ISP I'm switching to doesn't limit P2P traffic. Theoretically, if I had a lot of seeders and none of them had a upload cap/limit, is it possible to achieve the calculated speeds?

I did some research and the ISP I'm switching to doesn't limit P2P traffic. Theoretically, if I had a lot of seeders and none of them had a upload cap/limit, is it possible to achieve the calculated speeds?

Your limited to the seeder or seeders of the file if there isn't enough then your expected long download time. That what file sharing is you wait til others get it to increase your download. No way around it also ISP if they detect and trust me they will find a way can throttle your bandwidth at their descrection if they detect file-sharing like torrents. You never achieve advertised or simulated speed this is a farse and one needs to be grounded in reality here.

I don't know the inner workings of BT, and can't comment on the theoretical overhead. But I can report that on a 100 Mbps connection, with high-speed seeders and other celestial bodies all aligned, I can hit 6 MBps downloading. I don't get there all the time -- not by a long shot -- but I'm not surprised when it happens, either on one torrent or all all downloads collectively. I WAS surprised a few weeks ago to get one torrent coming down to me at about 9.5 MBps, and for a sustained period of time, enough to download a 6-gig file. That's 9.5 x 8, or 76 Mbps.

So my answer based on practical experience rather than theory and YMMV is that you can fairly often hit about half your Internet pipe speed (6 x 8 = 48 Mbps/100 Mbps) and maybe the planets will align for you occasionally and get you up to about 75% of your pipe speed.

Sounds sort of silly to say it, but more bandwidth DOES equal faster P2P speeds if your current bandwidth is the limiting factor. As the other comments noted, that latter condition is not always true.

I don't know the inner workings of BT, and can't comment on the theoretical overhead. But I can report that on a 100 Mbps connection, with high-speed seeders and other celestial bodies all aligned, I can hit 6 MBps downloading. I don't get there all the time -- not by a long shot -- but I'm not surprised when it happens, either on one torrent or all all downloads collectively. I WAS surprised a few weeks ago to get one torrent coming down to me at about 9.5 MBps, and for a sustained period of time, enough to download a 6-gig file. That's 9.5 x 8, or 76 Mbps.

So my answer based on practical experience rather than theory and YMMV is that you can fairly often hit about half your Internet pipe speed (6 x 8 = 48 Mbps/100 Mbps) and maybe the planets will align for you occasionally and get you up to about 75% of your pipe speed.

Sounds sort of silly to say it, but more bandwidth DOES equal faster P2P speeds if your current bandwidth is the limiting factor. As the other comments noted, that latter condition is not always true.

This only happens when there isn't alot of users on the same ISP provider bandwidth that your using. This is why you get a high speed and this occurs only late at night to early morning which is why you get that speed. Throught the day you will never see those speeds during heavy internet traffic usage.

This only happens when there isn't alot of users on the same ISP provider bandwidth that your using. This is why you get a high speed and this occurs only late at night to early morning which is why you get that speed. Throught the day you will never see those speeds during heavy internet traffic usage.

Nope. I pay for 100 Mbps and that's what I get around the clock. I've done Speedtest checks at many different times of day (at a site not inside my provider's network) and the results are always in the mid-90s on my ac Wifi connection. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's my experience.

But that's beside the point. The OP's questions were whether he could expect higher BT speeds on a faster connection and whether there's a maximum speed for BT. He divided 50 by 8 to get 6+ MBps as a theoretical maximum for a 50 Mbps pipe, but he'll never get that because of packet overhead, BT protocol overhead,network latency and Wifi overhead if that's in use. My experience is that I have seen 75 percent of the theoretical maximum for my pipe -- once -- and 50 percent often.

On the question of whether there's a maximum speed for BT, my answer is that I don't know but I doubt it. But if there is, it's more that 9.5 MBps (76 Mbps) at the receiving end because I've seen BT operating at that speed with my own eyes.

Nope. I pay for 100 Mbps and that's what I get around the clock. I've done Speedtest checks at many different times of day (at a site not inside my provider's network) and the results are always in the mid-90s on my ac Wifi connection. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's my experience.

But that's beside the point. The OP's questions were whether he could expect higher BT speeds on a faster connection and whether there's a maximum speed for BT. He divided 50 by 8 to get 6+ MBps as a theoretical maximum for a 50 Mbps pipe, but he'll never get that because of packet overhead, BT protocol overhead,network latency and Wifi overhead if that's in use. My experience is that I have seen 75 percent of the theoretical maximum for my pipe -- once -- and 50 percent often.

On the question of whether there's a maximum speed for BT, my answer is that I don't know but I doubt it. But if there is, it's more that 9.5 MBps (76 Mbps) at the receiving end because I've seen BT operating at that speed with my own eyes.

Since no one here has any access to what ISP your using this is all speculations at this point in time.

Archived