vpn works but bittorrent clients won't download torrents

nyx14850

I'm running gnome ubuntu 14.04 with openvpn and using vpnbook. I am able to use vpnbook to connect and surf the web and can check that my IP address is successfully changed to the outside.

However, when I try to use any bitTorrent client (e.g. transmission, ktorrent etc.), the client will not start downloading the torrent. It just says it's stalled or just does nothing. I am using the the certificates and servers (euro 1 or euro 2) which allow p2p sharing. I am able to download torrents with the bitTorrent clients without vpnbook enabled without a problem.

Is there something else I need to do to configure things correctly? ...a port change perhaps? There doesn't seem to be any help for this issue on the internet. And I don't know if it's an issue with Ubuntu specifically.

Most likely your vpn provider is blocking torrent traffic. This forum is about Utorrent server for linux, unless you can discuss how that is behaving you may want to ask elsewhere about the clients you mentioned. Most likely though it's your vpn provider (privateinternetaccess works and it's cheap).

Archived