uTorrent App just appears blank

EgonGhost

I've been having some real issues with utorrent since the last update. I ended up completely uninstalling it and trying again from scratch but it hasn't helped. WIth the 1.8.7. build. when opening the app nothing appears on screen. You have to click Window > Utorrent before the app shows up. But when it does it's blank. No text or info in the sidebar, nothing in the torrent section or details section. It's just blank.

So I switched to the 1.6.5. build which seems to be working fine. Everything is where it should be at least. It remembers all the torrents, feeds etc and loads and runs fine. Apart from one thing, when the Mac enters sleep mode utorrent seems to shut down also. I've left it on over night as usual but nothing much has downloaded by morning. Before the update/uninstall etc utorrent worked fine in sleep mode. 

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Same trouble for me.

using 1.8.7, the sidebar is empty as well as the torrent list. I just see that torrents are downloading thanks to the "speed" tag in the details pane.

I upgraded to the beta version 1.9.x but the trouble is the same.

Finally i had to downgrade to 1.6.5, waiting for a better release which will hopefully correct this.

Me Too!!  Window center and sidebar are completely blank. Footer all saying 0's... 

YET, I see in my Activity Monitor/Network activity is working normally. The app still takes a long time to quit... So it's servicing traffic. 

Opening a new .torrent file shows no dialog!  

This whole thing seems like the GUI painting process is not connecting with the app's back end. (if they are even organized that way).

Repair Permissions completes normally and has no effect.

Turning to the Log.. window.  I can set various flags and see activity that appears normal AFAIK. 

Also interesting: the Speed tab at the lower portion of the window is graphing the speed of the data being serviced and it too looks normal. This is the only tab which displays information The tabs General, Trackers, Files and Peers are all empty of any data. General shows the labels for variables to be shown, but there are no values shown.

OSX 10.10.2  Mac Pro 

Reverted to version 1.86:  works fine

Same issue here, precisely the same as mvcl described.

I have sickrage installed and scheduled downloads are working as expected. I only know this because the files are turning up in my downloads folder - there's nothing in the torrents list in utorrent and the sidebar is blank.

Utorrent 1.8.4. I haven't downgraded yet as I don't want to lose any functionality (I need labels and not sure if the older versions support it).

Yosemite 10.2.2, Mac Mini (late 2014) 8gb ram

Interestingly enough I also have a Macbook Pro with Yosemite 10.2.2 and uTorrent 1.8.4 and it is working fine.

Same problem in iMac/5K OS10.10.2 + uTorrent 1.8.7.

• Can't launch new torrents.
  • Blank window -Don't see previously loaded torrents.
  • Seem to be connected and app otherwise responds to features and functions.

In the meantime, I've rolled back to uTorrent v1.8.5, which works ok. Available from the uTorrent site (here).

Has anybody reported this issue with the Bittorrent gurus?

Deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist

fixed the problem for me... 

It is a file not deleted when you uninstall and apparently had some settings which were inadvertantly putting a window off screen or something.  I can't promise yours doesn't have any settings that are precious to you, but a clean install after that was fine for me...

[solved]

The installer dmz file has utorrent installer instead of the actual application. So don't move it to your Applications directory yourself. Instead, run the installer from dmz which downloads and installs the utorrent app from download server and installs it in Applications dir.

Created the account just to post my solution, hope this helps.

This Solves the Problem:

Kindly Visit the following link. The solution given by imstoopid, posted 14th February 2015 really works. 

That's not a solution to the problem, it's a work-around. Going back to a previous version of uTorrent doesn't fix the problem with the current version. 

• 3 weeks later...

im using bittorrent which is basically exactly the same, I had the same problem with uTorrent which is why i switched but it turns out it didnt help and i cant be bothered switching back, BitTorrent seems to be faster as well, anyway, and i had this problem and just by chance while trying to fix it, it started to work again after i blocked it from connecting to macupdate.com or something on start up, im hoping this wasnt a coincidence incase it happens again but try to quit utorrent/bittorrent and then open it again while either offline or blocking the network connections, i used little snitch.

edit: it happened again after it was quit for a few hours, and i fixed it, this is what i did:

1: back up the folder "BitTorrent" in 'Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ *USER* ▸ Library ▸ Application Support' by just moving it to the desktop

2: move everything related to BitTorrent to the trash (except the folder in step 1 obviously, and any torrents your in the middle of downloading) i use an application called AppCleaner to which automatically finds related files/folders to apps you move to the trash

3: move the BitTorrent app back to your applications folder

4: either go offline or block any connections to BitTorrent with something like LittleSnitch and open BitTorrent, the side bar will be back and you'll have an empty torrents list, but everythings working again now

5: quit BitTorrent and move the folder you backed up back to your Application Support folder, replacing the new one

6: open BitTorrent again and everything is back to normal and all your torrents and RSS feeds are back, now you can go back online or stop blocking it from connecting to the internet or whatever and it'll work until the next time you leave it quit for a long time

sometimes it just doesnt work and i have no idea why, maybe i did it wrong those times, but if u try a few times it will work

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem and I fixed it by checking "Send detailed info when checking for updates (always anonymous)" on Preferences - General. This option comes checked by default and unchecking it caused these problems for me. Scary stuff?

Please note that you have to launch uTorrent two times more before everything comes back to normal.

So, now with steps:

1 - Launch uTorrent (window not showing, torrents not starting)

2 - Go to Preferences - General, check "Send detailed info when checking for updates (always anonymous)"

3 - Quit uTorrent

4 - Launch uTorrent (window not showing, torrents not starting)

5 - Quit uTorrent

6 - Launch uTorrent. It works!!!

This did the trick for me and hopefully it will help you guys until a new version comes up.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem and I fixed it by checking "Send detailed info when checking for updates (always anonymous)" on Preferences - General. This option comes checked by default and unchecking it caused these problems for me. Scary stuff?

Please note that you have to launch uTorrent two times more before everything comes back to normal.

So, now with steps:

1 - Launch uTorrent (window not showing, torrents not starting)

2 - Go to Preferences - General, check "Send detailed info when checking for updates (always anonymous)"

3 - Quit uTorrent

4 - Launch uTorrent (window not showing, torrents not starting)

5 - Quit uTorrent

6 - Launch uTorrent. It works!!!

This did the trick for me and hopefully it will help you guys until a new version comes up.

Thanks man, worked for me too.  Weird.

post-383936-0-27410400-1429396325_thumb.  The fix for my comments below 

All this moving around  stuff is not the issue.     *update*  The error below is related to the check for updates mention in others work above* 

The issue is a bug in their code. 

Running 10.10..3 Yosemite both on an older airbook and on a mac retina  newest

When you look at the error log ~/Library/Application Support/uTorrent/stderr.log 

You will find ...

2015-04-18 17:47:46.401 uTorrent[418:32696] Failed to connect (nameTextField) outlet from (RSSAddFeedController) to (NSTextField): missing setter or instance variable2015-04-18 17:47:46.545 uTorrent[418:32696] *** -[__NSCFConstantString substringToIndex:]: Index 1 out of bounds; string length 02015-04-18 17:47:46.548 uTorrent[418:32696] (        0   CoreFoundation                      0x9c234c63 __raiseError + 195        1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x98707a2a objc_exception_throw + 276        2   CoreFoundation                      0x9c234b7d +[NSException raise:format:] + 141        3   Foundation                          0x99ffac03 -[NSString substringToIndex:] + 133        4   uTorrent                            0x0001d59d -[MainWindowController validateAdsCohortControlGroup] + 60        5   uTorrent                            0x0001d2d7 -[MainWindowController awakeFromNib] + 1349        6   AppKit                              0x9b1f7e3d -[NSIBObjectData nibInstantiateWithOwner:options:topLevelObjects:] + 1312        7   AppKit                              0x9b1f7917 -[NSIBObjectData nibInstantiateWithOwner:topLevelObjects:] + 56        8   AppKit                              0x9b1d4841 loadNib + 462        9   AppKit                              0x9b1d3c06 +[NSBundle(NSNibLoading) _loadNibFile:nameTable:options:withZone:ownerBundle:] + 330        10  AppKit                              0x9b396c95 +[NSBundle(NSNibLoadingInternal) _loadNibFile:externalNameTable:options:withZone:] + 161        11  AppKit                              0x9b396a3a -[NSWindowController loadWindow] + 337        12  AppKit                              0x9b391aba -[NSWindowController window] + 81        13  uTorrent                            0x0001db59 -[MainWindowController localizeAll] + 141        14  uTorrent                            0x0000d71b -[AppDelegate applicationDidFinishLaunching:] + 1843        15  Foundation                          0x99ffc053 __57-[NSNotificationCenter addObserver:selector:name:object:]_block_invoke + 50        16  CoreFoundation                      0x9c1e9c34 __CFNOTIFICATIONCENTER_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER__ + 20        17  CoreFoundation                      0x9c0c9901 _CFXNotificationPost + 3713        18  Foundation                          0x99fdd224 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 92        19  AppKit                              0x9b26d448 -[NSApplication _postDidFinishNotification] + 365        20  AppKit                              0x9b26d138 -[NSApplication _sendFinishLaunchingNotification] + 239        21  AppKit                              0x9b262ff3 _DPSNextEvent + 3000        22  AppKit                              0x9b261dc5 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 350        23  AppKit                              0x9b25677c -[NSApplication run] + 907        24  AppKit                              0x9b1cbbc0 NSApplicationMain + 2082        25  uTorrent                            0x0000b75d main + 69        26  uTorrent                            0x00002815 start + 53)

Now, two things happened recently an update Java  to Java 8 update 45 or for those java folks who like nice proper numbers 1.8.0_45  

Also there has been a recent os update from Apple.   The issues started on my machines after the Java update 

SIGN: newbie thing how do I upload an image of the screen grab for the fix?   (never mind,  use full editor is the answer) 

Archived