Questions from a novice user

5fireflies

Now that I've downloaded the .torrent file and I have a full copy of the associated .mp3 file(s) (or whatever the file type), can I move the .torrent files? Can I move the .mp3 files? If so, do I need to change something within uTorrent so that I can still seed those files? I don't see anywhere within uTorrent where I can set the file location. And I'm getting error messages: "invalid download state" and "files missing from job." How can I resolve those?

I guess you've just gone to your download folder and moved your files out of ther into another one. You can do so if you will, but then, as you've already experimented, utorrent won't be able to locate your files.

So, if you want to always download your files in the same default folder but then moving them, say, to your "Music" folder but, also, keeping on seeding those torrents, then you have to right-click on your torrent in utorrent's torrent list, go to "Advanced" and "Set download location". After a little while, the files will be moved to that other folder and, more importantly, utorrent will now know about it and keep on seeding as usual.

The problem with the ones that gave those error messages is that you have to first move those files back to where they originally were downloaded and then used the described method to move them again to your desired final destination.

Thanks for the instruction. I moved all the .mp3, .avi, and .mov files back to the default, which was /users/marcpetersen/Downloads. I will right click them from the torrent list in uTorrent and change the download location. You wrote, "After a little while ..." How long is that? :-)

In uTorrent > Preferences > Directories, if I change Location of downloaded files from /users/marcpetersen/Downloads to iCloud Drive/movies, this will affect files downloaded only after make this change. uTorrent will not move files that have already finished downloading. Correct?

• 3 weeks later...

For the first question, that's just as long as it takes your computer to move the files, as if it were the OS itself doing it more or less. So, if both folders are in the same logical partition, they will be in next to no time. If your moving, say, to an external hard drive, it will take a little while.

As for the second question, I've never tried myself, but I think you're correct, it just works for new downloads. In fact, I believe it won't affect current downloads, just the next ones you start.

Archived