3.4.2 build 39586 - 1) 100% CPU utilization 2) Does not close

conquerist

On my first launch of uTorrent 3.4.2 build 39586 (upgrading from build 38913) I noticed:

• uTorrent has a constant 100% CPU utilization on one core
  • After selecting "Exit", uTorrent does not close. The icon disappears from task bar, the window disappears, but the process remains with 100% CPU utilization.
After ending the uTorrent process with the task manager and restarting uTorrent, the same behavior repeated. I have not had these issues with any other 3.4.2 build.

j9sNHec.png

I can totally confirm this and I have both of the issues mentioned above. I usually have no reason to visit the forums, but I wondered whether anyone else has had the same issue - and indeed, I am not alone.

Every time I open it, CPU consumption rises up to 100%. If I kill the process, it closes, but it keeps running through the Background Processes (continuing to consume CPU), so I have to kill it twice.

I really want to downgrade, but I have 1100 torrents, each with its own label and path and I will lose the seeding ratio (visually). Although I have never done it before and I am not sure whether such info will be saved, I am not risking this.

I am using Windows 8.1, 64-bit.

This weird behavior started after the final update (build 39586), as previously stated by conquerist.

I can totally confirm this and I have both of the issues mentioned above. I usually have no reason to visit the forums, but I wondered whether anyone else has had the same issue - and indeed, I am not alone.

Every time I open it, CPU consumption rises up to 100%. If I kill the process, it closes, but it keeps running through the Background Processes (continuing to consume CPU), so I have to kill it twice.

I really want to downgrade, but I have 1100 torrents, each with its own label and path and I will lose the seeding ratio (visually). Although I have never done it before and I am not sure whether such info will be saved, I am not risking this.

I am using Windows 8.1, 64-bit.

This weird behavior started after the final update (build 39586), as previously stated by conquerist.

You can to downgrade to version 3.4.2 build 38913 without loss yours torrents but you must not uninstall µTorrent. When you launch install file, it will ask you if you want to downgrade. And It works without loss torrents.

Can you dump the process and post a link in this thread?

I've now returned from 38913 to 39586 and am trying to recreate this behavior. No luck so far. Hopefully someone else will be able to provide a dump.

I've been having problems with uTorrent since yesterday. This new build is eating up my cpu cycles. What is happening? Did Epic Scale finally made it's way inside the utorrent source code or what?

If the process is still running and eating CPU cycles, maybe you can provide a process dump? See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx

More reports: http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/97688-utorrent-342-serious-problems-need-your-help-urgently/#entry505052

Mine is fine, but I can easily get it to 100% CPU if I have it downloading fast, and try to use the up/down arrows in the main view... Have any of you tried that?

Repro steps:

1. Download 1-2 torrents at 3MB+

2. Select to view the info tab

3. Select any torrent

4. Use the arrow keys to scroll up or down

5. Done

uT is in not-responding "state" here  after the above .

Is it the same with you?

Hey all -- shot in the dark, as we haven't been able to reproduce the behavior yet, but after looking at the changes between 38913 and 39586 I saw one potential culprit.  For those of you experiencing this issue, can you please download and install this version:

http://download-new.utorrent.com/uuid/9abb9424-1dd4-4c2d-8595-e0fc8122d76d

(build 39704)

and let us know if it still shows this behavior?  Thank you for your help here, we're working to fix this asap.

j.

I'm testing the build now. I'll report back in an hour or so.

[edit]

39704 is still looking good after an hour. All three times that I've launched 39586, the 100% CPU issue showed up within 5-10 minutes after launch.

Really thank you -- extremely helpful to have your word on that.  Please do let us know asap if you see a problem.

If anyone else could please try it out, it would be great to have two confirmations that it's not happening with 39704.

Strange behaviour...

Had the same problem and as a quick solution I unchecked the 'start utorrent with windows', 'start minimised', automatic update' and 'send info..'. I needed a quick fix, so I didn't start the program any more. 

Now a fiend called me to ask what could be wrong with utorrent (same behaviour), and this is why I'm here on the forum.

I started the program and everything seems fine now. I restored my previous preferences restarted the computer e few times but no everything seems fine, the problem is gone.

I'm using windows 7 64 bits and my friend windows 8.1 64 bits.

Current Stable Release

Last Updated: Mar 27, 2015 07:31AM PDT

2015-3-26: Version 3.4.2 (build 39744) Stable

- Installer updates including crash fixes and featured content fix

- Streaming heuristic and streaming UI fixes

- Media file parsing fix for MP3

- Freeze and 100% CPU issue fix

Released an hour ago...

Archived