Moved Torrent Folder to New Hard Drive - Errors

Sniff Money

I thought this would be easier, but i guess i'm doing something wrong.

I've been using uTorrent for a long time now. I had it set to download to a folder on the main C drive, but today i purchased an external hard drive since my C drive was getting way too full. I moved my entire torrrent folder to the new external hard drive. The main folder was set up exactly the same; main folder for downloading torrent, finished folder for all the finished torrent, and a folder where all the torrent address are downloaded and saved. I went into uTorrents preferences and changed all the download locations to the new locations of the new hard drive.

The issue i'm having is all the finished torrents have red X's on them and state "error: can not open torrent file" then it references the old location of the torrent before the migration to the new hard drive. Now all the torrent i have finished will not seed anymore.

How can i fix this issue?

Preferences aren't retroactive to already loaded torrents.

Moving the .torrent files doesn't move the downloaded files.

It isn't possible to cleanly tell uTorrent about moving of .torrent files without removing and re-adding the torrents after preferences are changed.

Set Download Location can be used to tell uTorrent about moved downloaded files.

i not sure I follow you. I moved the .torrent file addresses, and also moved the fully downloaded torrents I already have in my finished downloaded folder. I do not need to finish downloading anything, i just need to keep seeding the files to boost my seed credits on a particular site to improve my ranks the site demands. 

you state set download location tells uTorrent about moved downloaded files, but i did that and am still getting the error stating "cant be open" and still referancing the old location.

are you saying i need to redownload all the files i currently already have fully downloaded to get them to show up proper and seed again?

I feel kinda dumb asking all these questions, maybe I'm explaining thing wrong here.... by .torrent I mean the downloaded address for the torrent. I have a "torrent" folder with a few folders in it. One folder for the torrent addresses, one folder for the finished torrents, and the main folder holds any current downloading torrents that aren't yet finished. I moved the whole entire "torrent" folder containing all sub folders to the new external hard drive. Then I pointed uTorrent to all the current locations.

Are you saying there is nothing I can do short of redownloading all the torrents again to be able to seed them to other once again? I just want to be able to share the many torrents I have with others. Their already fully downloaded and compleat. There has to be an easy way to make the torrents I have available to others once again, even in their new home n on the external drive.

Moving the .torrent files associated with the loaded torrents BREAKS the whole process. Any torrents you've moved the .torrent files for need the .torrent files MOVED BACK WHERE THEY WERE BEFORE.

The folder/file structure for the downloads can be moved but you need to manually tell uTorrent on a per-job basis that you've moved the files. There is no automatic way for uTorrent to detect the move.

Screenshot showing preferences - directories as well as a screenshot showing the FULL error you're getting on one of your moved torrents.

Interesting. I figured the program would be smart enough to locate the new .torrent address location once I went into preferences and told it the exact location of where they had been moved to.

I went ahead and copied the .torrent folder I have and recreated the file directory of where they used to sit before the move, then I right clicked on each torrent inside of the uTorrent client and selected "start". It then did a recheck of the files and placed them in the "completed" folder once it was done.

Now I am able to seed the torrents again. Wasn’t quite the fix I was looking for, but it works for now. I’ll keep seeding them for a while and then remove them. I will place any new torrent addresses in the new external hard drive location from now on.

Thanks for the help.

Archived