A few newbie questions...

Zero8910

Hi

I'm sorry if these questions have been covered elsewhere, I have tried searching but I am VERY (less than 24hrs in!) new to this, and just need a few things explained in the simplest terms possible!

First; I understand seeding, however, I just wanted to know how long I should leave files seeding for? I understand about the ratio, mine is quite bad at the moment due to a lack of understanding when I first started, so should I just leave all my files seeding away until this rectifies itself? I don't want to be a leecher...

Second; Do I need to leave things seeding 24hrs a day 7 days a week? Will it effect other people if I turn off my laptop at night and stuff? I mean, obviously when I turn it back on, it can continue to seed....?

Third; If things are tinkering away on uTorrent, uploading in the background etc. will this have a large effect on my overall internet speed/usage? There are other people living with me and I don't want to hack them off by slowing down anything they are doing....

I'm sorry if these are all really basic questions, but I want to learn, I don't want to be one of these 'hit and run' people that I have read about - I want to learn so I can respect this awesome sharing community!

Thanks!

Zero.

1st - How long? Untill the ratio is 1.000 for current torrent job or untill there is any user (peer) which is downloading (you can see it as upload speed at torrent job)...

2nd - You can turn off/on you PC/uTorrent client as you want. After uTorrent is opened (and torrent job is in started state) seeding will continue.

3rd - You can control bandwidth by setting http://www.netcheif.com/Articles/uTorrent/html/AppendixA_02_05.html or http://www.netcheif.com/Articles/uTorrent/html/AppendixA_02_09.html if you wish to use setting in depending on day and time.

Archived