Help! This doesn't look good!

PyRo

Error message box (installation-style with thee CD image):

"Windows File Protection"

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now."

Options: Retry, More Information, Cancel

Clicking more information gives me a list of problems that might occur while I was trying to install Windows, eg: incorrect CD. However, I am NOT trying to install Windows!

Please read to the end, as I am unsure whether the warning box tells the truth.

I have no idea why it poppued up. I scanned my PC for viruses using a fully-updated Norton 2003 just yesterday.

I usually run torrents in Azureus with Peer Guardian 2 enabled. My computer has seen nothing new in the past week or so which was not from torrents I have been running for a while.

That is, apart from uTorrent, which I switched over to rather than Azureaus a few minutes agao. But I am still using the same torrents as I was before.

I got uTorrent from http://www.utorrent.com/ (http://download.utorrent.com/1.5/uT....5-install.exe). Is this the official site? Is it safe?

I noticed that Peer Guardian was disabled, while torrents have been running. Is it possible that somebody tried to attack my computer?

I don't wanna do what it says incase it is not a real Windows warning. I can't see anything bad people could do to me by using my real version of Windows; but I don't want to just in case. Is it possible Microsoft has found me out and is trying to disable me?

I really have no idea what happened. Any help would be great, I'm scared to turn my PC off now!

Thanks

Joe

But I have not installed anything recently apart from uTorrent (which I do not suspect, as I know it is a very common and trusted piece of software). Could someone else have tried to while my firewall was down?

And what does WFP do? Does it simply tell you of things like this, or does in mend similar problems in the background?

I doubt it. µTorrent's installer doesn't replace any files either (I have the NSIS script right here, so I know exactly what it does), so it had to have been another program. The standalone version runs from location, so that's even less likely.

WFP simply prevents programs from replacing system files protected by catalogues, or at least gives you the chance to revert the change. You can put in the WXP CD and let it revert the change, or just ignore it. Probably won't matter in the end.

Also, Norton is a pretty poor AV program.

Have you recently patched TCPIP.SYS? Every time I do this I get the WFP warning, which is correct as I DID change a system file. In this case I have to select "cancel" to keep the patched TCPIP.SYS file. Windows then again asks if I'm sure to keep the modified file.

Never hat this message in any other case and with no version of uTorrent. OK, hmm Norton. I don't know if Norton is the cause as I stay far away from those dangerous yellow Boxes ;)

Araldo

I just got ClamWin Glue for FireFox, and every time I open FF now, I am told that the file could notbe found. This same problem is stated on the CW Glue page, but is not answered. Anyone know what to do?

Get Zone Alarm (free version) as firewall, PyRo; as antivirus you can use BitDefender 9.0 Pro but with the built-in firewall DISABLED.

This combination worked great on my computer in the last 2 years and I'm still using it. :)

I use PG 2 too, but only on public trackers and/or when I REALLY have to ban a leecher (the average is once in a month); then I use ZA and PG simultaneously, without any trouble...

But I am on a LAN and I saw that PG does not block the connection attempts from the other LAN users, like ZA; that's why I trust ZA more.

Archived