Register uTorrent to Desktop, and Quick Launch, and Start Me

chowmien

What about an option that allows uTorrent to register itself on the desktop, or quick launch, or the start menu? since it doesn't really come with an installer that allows you to do that, I think this feature can be nice to have.. (I don't find it to be bloating uTorrent, just more accessible in fact)

A "First run" tutorial in the application would add more bloat when this could be covered on the wiki :)

But yea....if you find it necessary. put utorrent.exe into C:Program FilesuTorrent then just create the necessary shortcuts, 1 for quicklaunch, 1 for the start menu.

I believe you can even create a "uTorrent" folder through Start > Settings > Taskbar and Start Menu.

On "first-run desktop icon crasion" I meant: if utorrent finds its settings file, then it has been crated before, an utorrent must have been run at least one time. In the other case, utorrent has its "first run" on the desktop, so it could place an icon on the desktop. Not a big thing...

But I really don't need it.

That doesn't sound like such a good idea. Placing icons wherever it wants is just like those random applications placing AOL icons all over the place (desktop, start menu, IE favorites, IE links!). Granted, people actually want to use this program, but in that case, it's not that hard to (1) leave utorrent.exe on your desktop, or (2) create a shortcut (right click and click the corresponding menu item).

Creating a shortcut really isn't too difficult for almost any person who's used Windows for like... a week. If someone has only been using Windows for that short of a time, they probably wouldn't be using µTorrent in the first place =]

Perhaps the download should be a self-extracting file that puts itself into %drive%Program Files?

Merged Post(s):

Implemented in 1.1.6

(The first time it runs, it makes a desktop icon and a start menu icon, but it asks the user first)

Since it's possible that it's already running from the desktop, it should probably check that first before creating a desktop icon.

EDIT by silverfire: Please do not double post

What about an option that allows uTorrent to register itself on the desktop, or quick launch, or the start menu? since it doesn't really come with an installer that allows you to do that, I think this feature can be nice to have.. (I don't find it to be bloating uTorrent, just more accessible in fact)

i put it on my windows object dock 8)

• 1 month later...

Archived