hide Utorrent traffic from ISP???

bodgeup

Hi,

can anyone tell me what i can do to try to hide what i am transferring over the net with Utorrent?

I know i cant hide my IP but is there a way so that my ISP doesn't know that im using a P2P program (Utorrent in my case)?

I have forced protocol encryption and disable legacy connections in the prefs, but is there anything else i can do?

Im not worried about what im doing its just my ISP throttles back if they detect im using P2P. This traffic shapping only applies to P2P traffic so i am wondering if i can make my Utorrent transfers seem like they are not P2P traffic if you know what i mean?

I also use SSL torrent sites and use SSL tracker, i also have the encryption forced and disabled legacy connections.

What other settings can i change that will help me or what other programs can i use also?

thanks

JK

No sorry. ProXPN has a "free" option, but your speed will be limited to 300kb. That will probably be okay for surfing, but not for downloading.

Easy-Hide-IP 4.0 is the closest to free that I know of at $30.00 a year. If you download just 2 DVDs or 3 first-run films, then Easy-Hide-IP has already paid for itself.

This kind of protection costs money. :(

K, thanx for your help.

Do you know if i have set my Utorrent client up correctly to avoid being throttled back by my ISP from what i described in my earlier post, i want to make it as difficult as i can for my ISP to know im using P2P? What other settings should i change in Utorrent of even windows to hide the fact im transferring P2P data? I would like to try and keep off my ISP's RADAR as much as i can until i get a copy of ProXPN.

Thanks

JK

There really aren't any settings in µTorrent which will block your ISP from seeing you. You will be visible to your ISP no matter what settings you choose.

However, 'some' people insist that if you change your Bandwidth options to "Maximum Number of Peers Per Torrent = 10," then this limits the other sources from viewing you. .... I doubt that this works, but it might limit your chances of being picked up.

You can also try PeerBlock, but it's doubtful that that will work either. .... Easy-Hide-IP for $30 a year is your best bet, that's only $2.50 per month, as free as anyone can hope for these days. :-)

ProXPN is amazing and worth the money! I haven't received any 'letters' in the last year that I have been using it. I download with total confidence now. :-) I use Easy-Hide-IP only for emergencies, but it's good too.

As the saying goes, "Get encrypted, not convicted." LOL!

*facepalm*

There really aren't any settings in µTorrent which will block your ISP from seeing you. You will be visible to your ISP no matter what settings you choose.

True.

However, 'some' people insist that if you change your Bandwidth options to "Maximum Number of Peers Per Torrent = 10," then this limits the other sources from viewing you. .... I doubt that this works, but it might limit your chances of being picked up.
Doesn't work, just screws with your speeds, as your not using your connection optimally
You can also try PeerBlock, but it's doubtful that that will work either.

What doubt it doesn't work, never has, never will. It's based on a completely flawed premise

.... Easy-Hide-IP for $30 a year is your best bet, that's only $2.50 per month, as free as anyone can hope for these days. :-)
While that's cheap, it depends on what, where, and their internal policies. If they roll over and give your details up when a cop asks, or when a lawyer sends a threatening letter, it's not that good, especially as the financial link is extremely strong proof of intent, and identity.
ProXPN is amazing and worth the money! I haven't received any 'letters' in the last year that I have been using it. I download with total confidence now. :-) I use Easy-Hide-IP only for emergencies, but it's good too.

I got a some headphones sitting on my desk. Since they've been there, I've not recieved any 'letters', Therefore, the headphones have been protecting me. Same exact logic as you've just used, or as it's better known 'correlation is not the same as causation'

Never heard that one before, but it's not very accurate.

• 1 month later...

ProXPN, really? Really? Reeaaaalllly?

I tossed ProXPN after I found: http://www.freeopenvpn.com/vpn-client/. I also use: hostizzle.com to search for torrents since they don't block any torrent sites like freeopenvpn, but hostizzle has a free 100GB limit each month.

I couldn't believe the gull ProXPN has after seeing them forward their own request to my PayPal account to start charging me $49.95/6 months right after signing up as a free subscriber. Glad I didn't click anything other than "Cancel" on PayPal! And it made me more determined to google free openvpn sites.

Jet

• 1 month later...
ProXPN, really? Really? Reeaaaalllly?

I tossed ProXPN after I found: http://www.freeopenvpn.com/vpn-client/. I also use: hostizzle.com to search for torrents since they don't block any torrent sites like freeopenvpn, but hostizzle has a free 100GB limit each month.

I couldn't believe the gull ProXPN has after seeing them forward their own request to my PayPal account to start charging me $49.95/6 months right after signing up as a free subscriber. Glad I didn't click anything other than "Cancel" on PayPal! And it made me more determined to google free openvpn sites.

Jet

Ummm, the BASIC account doesn't ask you for any credit card information or paypal account. :rolleyes: I never gave them any credit card or any other type of payment account, just a temp email address to sign up. Are you SURE you didn't sign up for the pro account? There is a button/link you need to press to sign up for basic, otherwise it defaults to signing up for the pro/paid version - Reading is essential. :rolleyes:

my ISP throttles back if they detect im using P2P... i am wondering if i can make my Utorrent transfers seem like they are not P2P traffic if you know what i mean?

ISPs see every single bit of data usage that passes through; perhaps not the content due to proxies and encryption. If your ISP throttles based on content and port assignment, using encryption and a random port may help (but make sure your router has uPnP enabled). However, for the last few years network traffic characteristics have been found more suitable for identifying protean file-sharing P2P traffic than content-based methods. If your ISP throttles based on traffic modelling and bandwidth usage, then you are out of luck. No service, paid or free, will reshape/hide your BitTorrent traffic characteristics and bandwidth usage.

There is absolutely no way to hide P2P traffic from your ISP. Content, yes. Traffic, no. Period.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

You can also try PeerBlock, but it's doubtful that that will work either. .... Easy-Hide-IP for $30 a year is your best bet, that's only $2.50 per month, as free as anyone can hope for these days. :-)

How do i use my proxnp VPN for torrenting. I downloaded it and then turned it on then went to torrent something but nothing happened. I tired to let the VPN through my firewall and still it did not download. What do i have to do?

How do i use my proxnp VPN for torrenting. I downloaded it and then turned it on then went to torrent something but nothing happened. I tired to let the VPN through my firewall and still it did not download. What do i have to do?

Er, ask the people you're paying? Because it's got nothing to do with µT?

• 1 year later...

I use this ISP as there the only ones in the UK that offer 120meg broadband, its throttled during peak hours but off peak its unthrottled. No over ISP in the UK comes close to offering those kind of speeds yet, so I have to stick with them.

Thanks

I use this ISP as there the only ones in the UK that offer 120meg broadband

I have to stick with them.

Sorry to hear that you "have to" stick with them... Now you "have to" look for a way to have both - high speed and ability to use P2P, which they want to block. Good luck with that... ;)

Personally I give my money to ISP, that offers much less bandwidth, but without all those troubles, associated with P2P traffic :)

Archived