Improve "run this program when download finishes" feature

alextorex

Hi,

This feature could be more generic.

I need to run program when torrent status changes.

Add parameter %S for status.

The feature should be also available in preferences (globally).

I am interested to do actions when torrent is removed, added etc.

also think of adding more parameters like %L for label of torrent etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A global "run when X occurs" would be even more wonderful. Or better yet, a config page in the settings where you could set multiple events for further automation.

- Run when torrent starts

- Run when torrent begins seeding only (ie reaches 100%)

- Run when torrent reaches the setting you have for how long you seed (200% or 300% or...)

- Run when torrent is removed (but not when torrent is removed+deleted, perhaps)

... etc. This would allow people to automate a lot of stuff - both the obvious, like doing an in-depth virus scan on all torrents when they reach 100%, for instance, and the not so obvious (notifications, mailing, NET SEND's, moving to a custom directory etc.)

This should then be overridable or changable per torrent, as it is now when you can set up an action to happen after the torrent completes on an invidiual torrent, ie a way to change the defaults for a specific torrent if you need to do that for some reason.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of having actions that can be triggered by different events though I don't think we need quiet as many events as suggested here.

These triggers could include the "labels" currently used to mark torrents. This could extended the fuctionality even further, for instance an action could be set to only apply to a certain RSS feed(s).

This feature does, however, require some thought on the best way to impliment or whether to implement at all and would need to be developed over time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only simple functionality that is really nessicary and could be add as soon as the next release, would be the addition of run file option to the Options - Preferences. All this really has to do is automatically add the file path to the properties - advanced menu just automating the task of placing it there.

Two problems with the current manual form. It is repetitive for normal users and isn't usable by rss feed users.

• 5 months later...

I would like to see a global "Run this program when download finishes." also. I like the way it's set up now with the three parameters passed. I woudn't mind more parameters but I would like to see a global command to make it easy to generally process the downloaded files.

Thanks for the program. I really like it.

running an in depth virus scan once a torrent is complete is a good feature,

however each torrent having to reconfigure is a bore.

hence, A global "run when finished" would be great

You could use the 'copy completed downloads' feature, to copy the .torrent's contents to a different path, that hasn't been excepted by your virus scanner, and have it scan the data on disk access.

-- Smoovious

`Thanks, but how could I automate running a script with rar.exe for all torrents without individually setting "Run this program when download finishes" for each one? If there is a way to do this, I'll post my script when I write it.

• 1 month later...

it will be very nice if you could add this to the RSS module too

I need to flag torrents at the rss with this function: "Run this program when the download finishes:"

That I didn't need to check if something new is downloading, but my application in the background start automatically if it's done.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there ANY movement likley on this request?

I too support the Global RUN after completion function.

Given that this thread was started in 2006...it seems that things are moving very slowly, if at all???

Come on team, let us know what is happening?

Having the ability to set up RSS feeds to automatically download files is a fantastic feature...it's just that we manually have to check all the time to see if something has downloaded....

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Running Beta 15380 and don't see any changes yet. I want it so bad. The best thing would to use, for example, outlook's rules. We could pick any torrents from this tracker, containing text in torrent file and run based on what we set. The only way to keep our massive library data on TV, Movies and Music is to start running automated apps like tvrename and media companion. We just need to be able to execute these apps from scripts through uttorent globaly. I'm sure it's a lot of work, it's just the main thing I've wanted for years.

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the list of people that want a global "Run when Complete" function.

I would also like the "Run when Started function" as it would be useful for being notified downloads started by RSS for example or other users if you are using the webinterface to share one computer for downloads.

• 5 weeks later...

Hundreds, if not thousands of users have been waiting YEARS for a GLOBAL "Run this program when the download finishes" functionality in uTorrent. How hard is it to write the code for this request? IT'S ALREADY THERE, just make it available GLOBALLY. A retarded chimp could do it in a few hours, if not minutes.

All it needs is to pass a few parameters/variables, such as:

%FN = Filename (if single file)

%FD = Folder (if multiple files in torrent)

%LB = Label

I can easily write a program to do whatever I need (move, rename, notify, reencode, etc.), once this functionality is there.

But since the devs can't pull their heads out of unnamed places, and listen to the users, I had to write my own 'helper' program to monitor the utorrent window controls ([iD:27] or [CLASS:SysListView32; INSTANCE:x]) and wait for a "Finished" status, then launch what I need it to do. What a pain. It should have been part of utorrent a LONG time ago. Stop acting like M$ and listen to your users. If this was open source, it would have been implemented a long time ago.

I appreciate the work on uTP, RSS, and other fixes/additions, but come on, add this functionality already so all of us power users can easily automate things.

Firon said it's due in 1.9. I don't see it anywhere in the release notes for 2.0b, or any other version so far.

-T

• 4 weeks later...

Global Run when complete would be useful, I have already tried many ways to work around the fact there isn't one.

Run on status change that returned the previous state and new state would be even better and should not be much more difficult but several times more flexible. As you could then track new torrents added, torrents that have started to download and are no longer queued as well as completed and seeding torrents. This could then be tied into scripts that do notifications or actions on the files.

- trans code files for viewing

- notification via IRC, email, Growl, Prowl, netsend

- virus scans

All with very little code added to utorrent and the custom non torrent stuff out side the app.

• 1 month later...

I accidentally just made a new post... Then i found this on page 8 or so. well basically i really want this feature. Is there any other torrent client that does have this feature?

I will switch to ubuntu and use r torrent or transmission for this feature. do either of thease clients or even azureus/vuse have this feature?

• 1 month later...

Still eagerly waiting for this functionality.

I've looked in...[ul]

* 1.8.3 (builds 14715 to 16010)

* 1.8.4 (builds 16150 to 16688)

* 1.8.5 RC1 (build 16977) to 1.8.5 (build 17091)

* 1.9 alpha (builds 13485 to 15380)

* 2.0 beta (build 17188)

* 2.1 beta (build 16932) to 2.1 alpha (build 17085)

[/ul]

and found no mention of it. Firon, you said it would be in v1.9. Unless I missed it somewhere, why isn't it in the 1.9+ builds yet?

-Trystian

PS: It's really difficult to follow the versions/builds/branches, makes my head spin.

Archived