uTorrent never quits properly

Stez

i also have similar problem after upgrading to LION affecting both the stable version and this beta. but the problem becomes quite random now.

for example, i had a few unfinished download and i stopped them all, seeing they became inactive and both upload and download went to nearly 0 byte. quit the uTorrent but the light still on (below the icon) and after maybe a few minutes, it was still there. then when i run the uTorrent again, the app immediately show with no ul/dl. obviously the app didn't quit.

i said this is random is because this symptom seems go away after using this beta for a few days and all the download were completed.

Forever?

Maybe you can give us some more info. What kind of Mac are you running? What OS version? How many torrents are loaded? How many completed and how many are still downloading, etc.

Thanks.

Yes, it does stay like that unless I force quit. I'm running a 2011 iMac 27'' i5 with a 2GB 6970M graphics card. My operating system is Lion 10.7.2 (developer build 11C43) but it was occurring even when I was running the public 10.7.1 release.

Cheers.

Forever?

Maybe you can give us some more info. What kind of Mac are you running? What OS version? How many torrents are loaded? How many completed and how many are still downloading' date=' etc.

Thanks.[/quote']

Yes, it does stay like that unless I force quit. I'm running a 2011 iMac 27'' i5 with a 2GB 6970M graphics card. My operating system is Lion 10.7.2 (developer build 11C43) but it was occurring even when I was running the public 10.7.1 release.

Cheers.

Could you please send me a sample by personal message?

Forever?

Maybe you can give us some more info. What kind of Mac are you running? What OS version? How many torrents are loaded? How many completed and how many are still downloading' date=' etc.

Thanks.[/quote']

Cheers.

Could you please send me a sample by personal message?

There was an image in my original post. That is all there is -- no uTorrent windows or anything, just that dock icon staying there with ''quitting'' on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I have the same problem "quitting" forever. i've tried to delete the program, reinstall and nothing works. when i try to uninstall or reinstall, appears a message like utorrent is still running. i have a macbook pro i7, os X

I'm having the same problem, but I just found out that it works when I force quit: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110501223010AAOm27a

Press command+option+escape then force quitting it.

I was having the same problem after I updated, but I think I've figured this out.

Here's what I did:

Press CMD + OPT + ,

Go to the Advanced tab, then go down to where it says "bt.graceful_shutdown and change the value to false.

YES! This seems to have solved the Quit problem! Thanks.:)

23.12.11 11:56:28,057 uTorrent: Could not connect the action addNewFeedAction: to target of class SidebarController

23.12.11 11:56:30,482 uTorrent: *** WARNING: Method selectRow:byExtendingSelection: in class ContextSensitiveOutlineView is deprecated. It will be removed in a future release and should no longer be used.

Wat it is that?

23.12.11 11:56:28,057 uTorrent: Could not connect the action addNewFeedAction: to target of class SidebarController

23.12.11 11:56:30,482 uTorrent: *** WARNING: Method selectRow:byExtendingSelection: in class ContextSensitiveOutlineView is deprecated. It will be removed in a future release and should no longer be used.

Wat it is that?

Could you specify what\s your uTorrent version? These warnings should not be present in the latest 1.5.12 one.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

i am having the same problem. Quitting will not complete.

Force quit is not an option under uTorrent icon because it is frozen.

Force quit under system pref will work but then i of course lose all downloaded data.

Previous version of uTorrent did work, but not consistantly.

OSX Leopard 10.5.8

uTorrent 1.5.14

-----

edit

----

i have been quitting without stopping the download.

Tried stopping then quitting and uTorrent quit without problem.

Does not consistently work though.

The last two versions of uTorrent are behaving very strangely on my mac mini.

-----

edit

----

tried resetting router. had good DL speed and quit without problem, but only once.

now resetting makes no difference either.

uTorrent always freezes when trying to quit.

any help would be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've got the same problem here. But i noticed it only occurs when I have my external hard disk attached.

Mac OS X 10.7.3 on Mid 2011 MacBook Air

As it was already said, to fix that, open uTorrent app, then press Cmd + Option + , then go to the Advanced tab, find bt.graceful_shutdown option and set it to false. The problem is fixed now! :)

• 4 weeks later...
I've got the same problem here. But i noticed it only occurs when I have my external hard disk attached.

As it was already said' date=' to fix that, open uTorrent app, then press [b']Cmd + Option + , then go to the Advanced tab, find bt.graceful_shutdown option and set it to false. The problem is fixed now! :)

This has not resolved the issue for me. Keen to hear of any updates on this issue.

• 3 months later...

I've had this problem on my system since first using uTorrent in June this year. uTorrent not quitting was cancelling a restart of the Mac. I first thought it was just a Mac OS problem, since other apps like Mail and Firefox also cancelled a restart by taking too long to quit. For this reason, I've gotten in the habit of quitting all three of these apps manually before doing a restart. With uTorrent, however, it's not just a delay quitting. It doesn't always quit normally and I get the behaviour in this thread. I've noticed:

1. It doesn't happen regularly. uTorrent can run for days before it happens.

2. It seems to happen always after uTorrent has been running for some time, not soon after launch.

3. Before I force-quit uTorrent, its listing in the Force Quit Applications dialogue box does not show uTorrent as "not responding".

4. When it happens, I can leave uTorrent in the "quitting" state indefinitely, with its icon having a black and white "quitting" banner like at the beginning of this thread, but I can still summon the uTorrent window back meanwhile by pressing command-1 or choosing the command from the "window" menu.

5. When it happens the uTorrent interface is still responsive: I can show or hide the sidebar, click on a column heading to sort, check the About box and command-click to start force-checking a torrent.

6. However, after showing the details pane I can't hide it again.

7. Furthermore, uTorrent will continue to show significant download and upload speeds and ratio in the uTorrent window, but none of them change no matter how long I wait. The speeds don't change on the uTorrent dock icon either, or in the uTorrent icon I see when I press command-tab.

8. When uTorrent is in this condition, I can click on a magnet link in a browser to start a torrent downloading and uTorrent will give me a "Save As..." dialogue box for it. I can click OK and the box goes away. However, no new torrent will be added to the library of downloads. (I observed this behaviour before and detailed it at http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=677506#p677506, but didn't realise it was caused by uTorrent being in its pre-non-quitting condition.)

9. However long I wait while uTorrent is in this condition, Little Snitch shows there is no network activity. The app seems to have become the digital equivalent to a living vegetable.

10. If 6 to 9 above aren't happening, uTorrent will reliably quit normally.

I've tried the following:

a. A clean install of the uTorrent app after downloading it afresh. That hasn't helped.

b. The suggestion in this thread by biophile of:

As it was already said' date=' to fix that, open uTorrent app, then press [b']Cmd + Option + , then go to the Advanced tab, find bt.graceful_shutdown option and set it to false. The problem is fixed now! :)

but that hasn't helped either.

(I haven't yet tried NikoB's suggestion of disconnecting my external hard disc, though, as I rely on it too much.)

c. I've quit uTorrent and renamed the following two files in ~/Library/Preferences:

com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist

com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist.lockfile

and when I've relaunched uTorrent, new files with these names were created. (I've also renamed another file I found there: com.BitTorrent.BitTorrent.plist, but when I've relaunched uTorrent, a new file with this name wasn't created, so it probably doesn't belong to uTorrent.) After that, I left uTorrent's preferences unchanged but got the non-quitting condition again less than 24 hours later.

I haven't yet tried disconnecting my external hard disc, though, as I rely on it too much.

MacBook Pro 2008 2.5 GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo)

RAM 6 GB

OS 10.7.4 (Lion)

uTorrent 1.7.6b

all torrent files, downloads in progress and completed downloads each in a different subfolder of a child folder in my Downloads folder on my startup disc.

• 4 weeks later...

My uTorrent used to work just fine on my mac and out of nowhere it just doesn't fully open. When I click it it will act like it's opening and even pop up in my dock, but after a few moments the spinning color wheel pops up and it says application (uTorrent) Not Responding. The window won't even show. I have tried deleting and reinstalling it, but I'm getting the same problem.

Hi,

Please collect a sample and share it with us!

To collect a sample, just open Activity Monitor, find µTorrent process there, click on it and press Sample Process button at the top of the window.

In case of high CPU usage, it is better to make several samples.

Please send the samples and brief steps that lead to the hang to us via email mac@bittorrent.com.

Archived