proxy support for peer to peer communications

vijayanand12003

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to use proxy for peer communications using SocksCap. SocksCap socksifies peer communication. Unfortunately i could't make uTorrent (v1.2) to work with any version of SocksCap (v2.30, v2.37, v2.38) or FreeCap.

SocksCap launches uTorrent, and everything is fine till you push the button start for downloading torrent, uTorrent freezes. Anyone succeded making uTorrent to work with SocksCap ?

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS !! I have successfully configured µTorrent with e-Border Driver v.3.51 from Permeo Technologies, Inc to socksify peer communication! So everybody who cannot use µTorrent because is behind a firewall but still can go out via SOCKS proxy server, may use this socksifier program. In fact you don't have to configure anything in µTorrent just have to add it in the Proxy only - Include list on the tab Applications of e-Border Driver.

GOOD NEWS !! I have successfully configured µTorrent with e-Border Driver v.3.51 from Permeo Technologies, Inc to socksify peer communication! So everybody who cannot use µTorrent because is behind a firewall but still can go out via SOCKS proxy server, may use this socksifier program. In fact you don't have to configure anything in µTorrent just have to add it in the Proxy only - Include list on the tab Applications of e-Border Driver.

pl give links to the application man

that will help alot

i have tried in google nut of no use

• 2 weeks later...
GOOD NEWS !! I have successfully configured µTorrent with e-Border Driver v.3.51 from Permeo Technologies' date=' Inc to socksify peer communication! So everybody who cannot use µTorrent because is behind a firewall but still can go out via SOCKS proxy server, may use this socksifier program. In fact you don't have to configure anything in µTorrent just have to add it in the Proxy only - Include list on the tab Applications of e-Border Driver.[/quote']

pl give links to the application man

that will help alot

i have tried in google nut of no use

Come on ... 2nd an 4th link given by google with the search "e-border 3.51":

[Edit: sorry, you can't link to illegal content.]

I thought will be a problem ... that's why i didn't give the links, first time ... sorry

I like very much µTorrent, is very small (still amazed, only 100kB and without install) and eficient for all those features and interface, but after using it with e-Border Driver for more than a week, here are the facts:

1. Often fails to comunicate with the tracker, that's because even the http call is socksified. Gives this error: "The requested address is not valid in its context". If I set a proxy for HTTP request, will not be able to specify user and password for proxy access.

2. DHT stucks in "DHT: Waiting to log in" or "DHT: 0 peers (Login)" so if tracker is down will not be able to connect to peers. This is not happening at home where i don't need e-Border.

3. Still has disadvantage versus Azureus or BitComet regarding DHT. Using it from home where as I said I don't need e-Border Driver, it gives me only 280 peers (Azureus 800K+). Still didn't understand how works DHT, for example when Azureus reports DHT: 800K+ peers it means only Azureus clients ? So µTorrent or other bit torrent clients are able to connect via DHT only with the same type of clients ? If not, why µTorrent reports so few DHT peers ?

Conclusion: to pass through company, institution, etc. firewalls without this socksify workarounds and problems and to keep up with other popular clients, µTorrent realy needs to implement separate tracker and peer to peer communication via socks proxy v5 with user and password support.

I'll use it from home, but from work i'm thinking to stick only with Azureus, even if at work i need more RAM than at home.

it gives me only 280 peers (Azureus 800K+). Still didn't understand how works DHT, for example when Azureus reports DHT: 800K+ peers it means only Azureus clients ?

I believe that Azureus's '800 000 peers online' refers to the total number of peers you are aware of, not connected to. For example when connecting to an Azureus peer, your client asks them how many peers they are connected to, and adds up the number of peers in total? Or maybe a central server coordinates the number of peers?

I'm probably wrong, but I have my doubts that you can actually connect to 800 000 peers :)

Having said that, Azureus's DHT implementation is still better than Mainline's..

Azureus shows you an estimate of the number of peers in the DHT network based off the bucket density. You can view the DHT tab and see actual numbers that mean something.

µTorrent shows you the number of peers you're DIRECTLY connected to.

It doesn't have any disadvantage versus BitComet in DHT. (apart from being a total leech and circumventing the private flag...)

Even if you do manage to connect through a proxy, you'd definitely want to reduce a LOT of settings in uTorrent!

A Proxy has to pass all that bandwidth both ways, and many/most free proxy services only allow 5 KB/sec total traffic!

So...reduce upload bandwidth to 5 KB/sec or less, reduce download bandwidth to no more than 20 KB/sec (if proxy allows this much!), reduce max connections + connections per torrent to 40 or less, reduce max torrents running at once (either as a seed or downloading) to 2 or 1, and DISABLE DHT.

A Proxy has to pass all that bandwidth both ways, and many/most free proxy services only allow 5 KB/sec total traffic!

So...reduce upload bandwidth to 5 KB/sec or less, reduce download bandwidth to no more than 20 KB/sec (if proxy allows this much!), reduce max connections + connections per torrent to 40 or less, reduce max torrents running at once (either as a seed or downloading) to 2 or 1, and DISABLE DHT.

Thanks Firon for explanations, anyway i also did read the FAQ :) and now i know how diferent implementations of DHT are working.

Switeck, i don't have speed limitations on proxy, it's not a free public proxy server. It's installed on a computer that's bypassing the company firewall and content filtering. I just cannot use directly that computer to run µTorrent because is shared by more persons. And as I said Azureus is working perfectly with the proxy. BitComet too. Settings you are talking about would not help with anything, only support for socks v5 with authentication built in µTorrent would.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, some people have possibility to connect to a good proxy. Even a paid one, like me, to bypass some nasty limitations set by a stupid ISP.

I was speaking about the free "public" ones.

Still, even if you get a good proxy you probably need to set your µTorrent limits lower than you would if you (could) were running without a proxy.

100's of connections running through a proxy is kinda rough on it, even if it's a good one.

Firstly, thanks Microuser for the tip... i can finally use uTorrent with that eborder app. At least on some trackers.

Secondly, I'd also like to 2nd, (3rd, 4th .. whatever) the request to add proxy support to the peer to peer communication also. This was the only reason I was running bitcomet, as it was the only client which worked for me.

Any sign of this feature even being considered?

Ta

• 2 weeks later...

i don't want it for protection, i want it so i can continue to use my dorms proxys instead of my (home) dsl line!

compare 1mbit/512kbit to the 10mbit+ i reached on wellseeded torrents with bitcomet via proxy.

whyproxysrule4zb.th.jpg

and yes, i the upload is also that fast after a while...

Archived