.torrent is not valid bencoding

abacrotto

Hello everyone!!! I hope someone could help me. I am trying to download a torrent. I have the .torrent file. But when I try to start the download uTorrent 3 fires a message stating that ".torrent is not valid bencoding". Is there a way to solve this problem ? Or should I find another .torrent file ? Maybe there is a program that converts my incorrect formated file to a valid .torrent format.

Thanks in advance.

Abacrotto.

• 3 months later...
Dread: from the same site I could download other torrents with no problems. I am copying here the link to the .torrent that is causing me trouble.

http://torrents.sumotorrent.com/download/356484/2007-05-30/The+Closer+-+Season+1.torrent

Thanks for your answer.

Abacrotto.

Hello!!!! Did anyone verified this issue. I have tried downloading the file in different devices and I can not get it to start downlading.

Thanks in advance.

Ariel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

created torrent on one computer with utorrent 3.2.1 and got the not valid bencoding,

tried again by creating a torrent from the same files but on another computer with a different OS with 3.2.1, got same error.

downgraded to utorrent to 2.2.1 and created the torrent on same computer, it worked perfectly.

so how is that not a utorrent issue?

Yeah, it HAS to be a uTorrent issue. I get the error on EVERY torrent from monova.be. I downloaded torrents from there YESTERDAY before I "upgraded" uTorrent. They all worked perfectly fine. Now today after "upgrading", none of them work. Something in the new version is preventing these torrents from being opened.

Dread: from the same site I could download other torrents with no problems. I am copying here the link to the .torrent that is causing me trouble.

http://torrents.sumotorrent.com/download/356484/2007-05-30/The+Closer+-+Season+1.torrent

Thanks for your answer.

Abacrotto.

Hmm. I couldn't get any version of µTorrent to load this torrent. Has it ever worked?

This may be a problem on our end in any case though. We're investigating now to see what we can do, as the torrent appears to be valid.

Yeah, it HAS to be a uTorrent issue. I get the error on EVERY torrent from monova.be. I downloaded torrents from there YESTERDAY before I "upgraded" uTorrent. They all worked perfectly fine. Now today after "upgrading", none of them work. Something in the new version is preventing these torrents from being opened.

That site appears to be down.

Thanks for your answer.

Abacrotto.

Hmm. I couldn't get any version of µTorrent to load this torrent. Has it ever worked?

This may be a problem on our end in any case though. We're investigating now to see what we can do' date=' as the torrent appears to be valid.[/quote']

We've investigated further. The torrent is definitively invalid. (for those curious, it has a dictionary with an empty string as a key, which is not allowed)

Yeah' date=' it HAS to be a uTorrent issue. I get the error on EVERY torrent from monova.be. I downloaded torrents from there YESTERDAY before I "upgraded" uTorrent. They all worked perfectly fine. Now today after "upgrading", none of them work. Something in the new version is preventing these torrents from being opened.[/quote']

That site appears to be down.

No, it's up. I just tried again to download a torrent from it and it still doesn't load on uTorrent, giving me the same error.

This is the link

http://www.monova.be

They must be blocking a bunch of IPs. Can't access it. :)

So, can you email me some torrents that won't load? firon at utorrent dot com.

You're trying to DOWNLOAD the .torrent files, not upload them, right?

I decided to go to random torrents around the site and others are loading. I tried like 4 or 5 in the adult ISO category and they weren't working. That's why I thought it was sitewide on that site. I'll send them to you and maybe you can figure out why they won't load.

I solved this by going to <<not allowed, seriously stop trying>> and downloading utorrent 2.2.1 and then simply installing it over the old install. After that I had to rearrange some columns in the GUI but it worked perfectly to create torrents.

The second update they put out solved the problem for me. I don't know if it would work for you though.

I don't know if this is the universal solution to this problem but you can try the following:

>> move the .torrent file, from XXX directory, to your desktop

>> open it with WinZip

>> extract the torrent file (which will have the same name as its container:() to XXX directory

>> close and delete the desktop copy

>> continue as usual with the valid .torrent file

I am not sure whey they come zipped like this, but more do than don't

And if it works for you, please come here and say so !!!!:):):)

I was having the same problem. I fixed mine by downloading BEncode Editor http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306. I opened the torrent that was giving me problems, BEncode Editor said that it had a problem opening the file and asked if I wanted it to try to recover it. I said YEP! and it proceeded to open the file. I then chose File -> Save As... -> and renamed the file. It opened right up.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I just got this error - after noticing that my auto - RSS - downloader refused to react to the latest NCIS ep I started to dig around. The funny thing is, when actaully manually browsing and downloading the torrent, things work without a glitch, but when clicking the entry in the feed, the error pops up about "not valid bendocing"...

Here is the feed entry:

<item><title>NCIS 9x17 HDTV x264 LOL VTV</title><link>http://torrentz.eu/9f48adbdc5e392be6da1a2fb3657bbb2e727d21e</link><guid>http://torrentz.eu/9f48adbdc5e392be6da1a2fb3657bbb2e727d21e</guid><pubDate>Wed, 29 Feb 2012 02:30:10 +0000</pubDate><category>tv divx xvid video shows</category><description>Size: 249 MB Seeds: 5,176 Peers: 1,056 Hash: 9f48adbdc5e392be6da1a2fb3657bbb2e727d21e</description></item>

And this was my error: "Unable to load '...' : torrent is not valid bencoding!"

To clarify, when manually sought up and clicked (from same provider as the feed - torrentz), the torrent worked fine (uTorrent version 3.1.2)

• 1 month later...
I don't know if this is the universal solution to this problem but you can try the following:

>> move the .torrent file, from XXX directory, to your desktop

>> open it with WinZip

>> extract the torrent file (which will have the same name as its container:() to XXX directory

>> close and delete the desktop copy

>> continue as usual with the valid .torrent file

I am not sure whey they come zipped like this, but more do than don't

And if it works for you, please come here and say so !!!!:):):)

Renaming torrent filetype to .zip then extracting it, works for me.. Thanx, man! :D

I started having this problem since upgrading to 3.1.3, and it happens only with my feeds, but with ALL the torrents in my feeds, including many that had already downloaded automatically before, and across several websites, not just one (kat.ph and torrentcrazy.com). Please help.

Archived