Redundant Downloading Bug

samisax

uTorrent 3.1, build 26419, has a bug that has a appeared for the first time.

It is a repeated downloading of pieces with an error of "PIECE ####: FAILED HASH CHECK", which is obvious what it means. The piece is downloaded, fails the hash check, so uTorrent downloads it again, and it fails the hash check again, entering a long loop of downloading the same piece repeatedly and never "concluding" the torrent. A waste of bandwidth and energy and time.

However, if I stop the torrent and force a re-check, the torrent identifies the piece as fine and concludes the download with no errors.

I hope there's a fix in tow for this bug because it really is a waste of time, since I usually don't notice the loop until a 2 MB piece has been downloaded 400 times.

Feel free to ask for any details.

Cheers

I discovered the precise same problem. It affects all torrents being downloaded, occurs on multiple pieces and always fails on the last block, causing timeout and loop to restart downloading the affected piece, repeatedly. Yes, I hit upon the same workaround as the original bug-reporter but just as he, I can't sit here and personally monitor all the downloads 24/7, so performance is degraded and download ratio adversely affected until I notice.

Same build (26419) and only this build, so far.

uTorrent 3.1, build 26419, has a bug that has a appeared for the first time.

It is a repeated downloading of pieces with an error of "PIECE ####: FAILED HASH CHECK", which is obvious what it means. The piece is downloaded, fails the hash check, so uTorrent downloads it again, and it fails the hash check again, entering a long loop of downloading the same piece repeatedly and never "concluding" the torrent. A waste of bandwidth and energy and time.

However, if I stop the torrent and force a re-check, the torrent identifies the piece as fine and concludes the download with no errors.

I hope there's a fix in tow for this bug because it really is a waste of time, since I usually don't notice the loop until a 2 MB piece has been downloaded 400 times.

Feel free to ask for any details.

Cheers

This is now fixed in 3.1 RC5.

bug still not fix on 3.1.26545

download stuck on 99.8% for long time, torrent avail > 19

There is a lot of failed hash check msg in log windows, like below

PIECE 569 FAILED HASH CHECK

PIECE 636 FAILED HASH CHECK

same bug on build 26563. After recheck, problem starts failing hash checks, gets a group of 4-10 , sits there and repeats forever. Burned off 17G of bandwidth overnite. Going to 3.0

later

Finished dwlding with 3.0, no problem. Well kind of pissed, just found out I already have it. By-by 20G and 9 hours of download time; but hey. found out I had a bug.

Archived