"Error: Can't open .torrent file" and .imported at end of torr files?

stellar0240

I am using my laptop and I have all my torrents set to download to my external hard-drive as well as the .torr files themselves (each in separate folders, of course). The ultimate goal is to periodically transfer these files to another computer that remains stationary at all times to ensure maximum seeding time of all torrents (to keep my ratio up on a private torrent site).

I have not even tried to move the torrents and associated files to the stationary computer and I'm wondering what the easiest way to do that is? Can I just add a new torrent and set the download location to the directory that contains the files and include the tracker? Or are there other steps?

Before all of this I'm having a problem on the laptop however.....

NONE of the files that were downloaded on the laptop will seed, and the status bar says "Error: Can't open .torrent file". When I go to the file containing the .torrent files I see that every file has a .imported suffix attached to the end of the file name. When I try to to remove the suffix, it works temporarily (about 3 seconds) and then I get a notification that it is imported into uTorrent and the file is once again renamed.

I have changed every setting, I have read through forums for the past 2 hours and found nothing at all that is slightly useful! I desperately need these files to seed from this computer and I need to be able to transfer them to the other computer eventually. The new laptop is a Mac running Lion (I am new to this OS) and the old stationary computer is a PC.

PLEASE HELP!!

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed you got a reply from DreadWingKnight that said that the stored .torrents and the .loaded .torrents should not be stored in the same folder. That is true. That is the problem actually that caused the uTorrent to not load the .torrents. I figured this out because I had like 3 that wouldn't load, and they happened to be the ones that didn't have a stored .torrent file in my folder for storing them.

This is the solution: Simply take the .loaded .torrent file and copy and paste it in the designated .torrent storage folder, then remove everything in the filename after the words .torrent (in my case, I changed the ending from .torrent-copy.loaded to .torrent). After that go to uTorrent and remove the .torrent from the list (don't delete the files), then open the .torrent that you "created" inside the storage folder. Everything should go back to normal after that. You will have to do this for each .torrent that isn't loading, unfortunately, but being a member of a private tracker it's worth the effort to prevent screwing up your ratio!

Hope that helps!

Archived