2 questions: "seeding" but red, and "cannot find file" error issue

TheShanMan

What does it mean when a torrent shows "seeding" in the status column but the background is red?

And I have some torrents saved to a network share and occasionally I've noticed that the network share must become temporarily unavailable because I get the "cannot find file" error and then the torrent is stopped. Is there a way to have uTorrent periodically attempt to restart the torrent? For all I know maybe it does, but whenever I see this condition, I restart the torrents and then they're fine. I hope I'm not going to have to do that on a regular basis.

hey man, here's a link that has an answer:

http://www.askmefast.com/Why_does_the_box_go_red_in_utorrent_when_seeding-qna766789.html

it looks like it just means that the piece is unavailable from the peers; so i'm guessing that means if you're seeding, you're the only one who has that piece(in this case, the whole file; i.e., you're the only seed) — a glance at my torrent list supports this supposition, 'cause on all the torrents with a red "seeding" status, i'm the only seed.

How long does it take? Whenever I see this condition I don't know exactly how much time had passed since the torrents had become available again, but it seems to be a great enough period of time to be a significant concern. My preference would be to check availability every few minutes when in the error state, not something like a half hour or more. Is it configurable somewhere (gui, registry, config file)?

I appreciate the response. I might have to manually force the error condition just to see how long it takes to restart (assuming it does at all).

How long does it take?
Depends how long the error condition was around for and what the error condition actually was.

Trackers going down or internet connection outages solve themselves within minutes of the connection restoring.

"Cannot find file" errors are usually considered fatal and require a force re-check or remove and re-add of the torrent to resolve.

Well, if you read my original post you'll see that "cannot find file" errors are exactly what I'm talking about! :rolleyes: That's the error uTorrent gives when files that exist somewhere else on my LAN disappear due to the remote machine rebooting or whatever. So this is very undesirable behavior obviously. I guess I should post in the bug report forum then and hope it can get addressed for 3.1 if it's not too late.

Well that's a matter of opinion, but if you don't like the term "bug" in this case, fine. I'll call it an unfortunate limitation. I do have legitimate reasons for some files being on the network - one being that the files are actually used on that remote computer and another being that they are very large files and I have limited hard drive space on each computer. And for that reason making multiple copies of the files just so I can have them locally available for utorrent is not an option.

FWIW, I just noticed I have some "Error: The network path was not found." torrents so apparently the "cannot find file" error message isn't the only one this condition can result in. And for the record I posted in the feature request forum about this even though from my perspective it's a defect. :)

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience it is the merely the tracker going down temporarily, as others have already said. In the tracker tab of a "red seeder", I always see the "connection closed by peer" message. It should correct itself as the tracker normalizes itself (assuming the tracker isn't gone entirely, of course).

Archived