My ISP now blocks P2P

Frokkel

I have been using uTorrent for a couple of years now, without any problems.

I recently 'upgraded' my internet connection to a 1.5Mbps download speed, with my excisting ISP (OneSeniors, an internet provider in Australia for over 55's). The contract stipulates unlimited downloads (excluding P2P)..... I sorta did not pay attention to that when I signed the contract, 'cause I've been with them for years and they never bothered 'throttling' nor 'blocking' me before.

I still had a few Eps from a TV series running on my UTorrent, but they are all blocked now. The DHT says 'waiting to connect' but never does...

What I'm basically asking is: Should I change any settings on my uTorrent program OR is there a way of bypassing my ISP detection?

I have Windows 7 and the latest uTorrent 3.1.2.

I have tried to find solutions online (Google) - but most of the info goes way above head and is too complicated for me to figure out. So please consider the fact that I am 'over 55' and not very internet savvy. Thank you.

Try going into options < preferences < bitorrent (on left sidebar) < protocol encryption (on bottom) < set it to "forced" and UNcheck "allow incoming legacy connections".

also make sure to enable both port mapping options under the "connections" tab on the left sidebar where "bitorrent" is.

Thank you for the suggestion. Still does not work. I uninstalled the uTorrent 3.2. and went back to an earlier version (2.2.1.) - adjusted the settings: no show. Problem seems to be that the [DHT] status remains 'waiting for announce...' and the 4 trackers udp's ccc.de:80, istole.it:80, openbittorent.com:80, and publicbt.com:80 are all 'connection timed out. I'm trying to download The Amazing Race S20E01 - as an example to see if it would work.

I'm afraid I will have to give up on uTorrent and try a more direct way of dlding stuff. without using P2P.

Any suggestions?

Try going into options < preferences < bitorrent (on left sidebar) < protocol encryption (on bottom) < set it to "forced" and UNcheck "allow incoming legacy connections".

also make sure to enable both port mapping options under the "connections" tab on the left sidebar where "bitorrent" is.

Most Isp's can see right around this now goggle "widevine"

Is this the widevine you are talking about?

<<The problem is, widevine is not something you can actually implement. You can't just get an API, a dev kit or any technical information from them. You need to become a 'certified integrator' by attending a course, or contact a "certified integrator'.>>

Wayyyy too complicated for my poor brain - lol.

Is this the widevine you are talking about?

<<The problem is, widevine is not something you can actually implement. You can't just get an API, a dev kit or any technical information from them. You need to become a 'certified integrator' by attending a course, or contact a "certified integrator'.>>

Wayyyy too complicated for my poor brain - lol.

Sorry about the typo it's "Sandvine"

Some pretty advanced shit... Comcast uses them now not sure about other isp's.... it is used to shape usage to manage heavy bandwidth users.... and ?

"Please note that simply enabling encryption is not enough, it has to be forced. More details on how to do this can be found over here."

"Comcast is using an application from the broadband management company Sandvine to throttle BitTorrent traffic. It breaks every (seed) connection with new peers after a few seconds if it’s not a Comcast user inside your community boundary. According to some Comcast technicians, who were brave enough to tell the truth, these Sandvine boxes are installed at the cable modem termination system. As a result, it is virtually impossible to seed a file, especially in small swarms without any neighboring Comcast users.

Here's the link which may or may not have material which utorrent forum may not in open forum......

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-bypass-comcast-bittorrent-throttling-071021/

Comcast doesn't really use Sandvine anymore. They upgraded their network and stopped using the throttling and blocking features.

They implemented a general throttling feature instead that caps heavy users when their local node is under heavy load. Pretty smart feature.

And then of course, there's the 250GB/month cap....

Comcast doesn't really use Sandvine anymore. They upgraded their network and stopped using the throttling and blocking features.

They implemented a general throttling feature instead that caps heavy users when their local node is under heavy load. Pretty smart feature.

And then of course, there's the 250GB/month cap....

Thanks for the update Firon.... this is the current Comcast policy in addition to "unlimited broadband" Capped at 250GB .... either it's unlimited or it ain't......

Comcast’s current congestion management technique

If a certain area of the network nears a state of congestion, our congestion management technique will ensure that all customers have a fair share of network access. This technique will identify which customer accounts are using the greatest amounts of bandwidth, and their Internet traffic will be temporarily managed until the congestion period passes. Customers will still be able to do anything they want online, but they could experience longer times to download or upload files or slower web surfing.

Our technique does not manage congestion based on specific online activities, protocols or applications that a customer uses. Rather, it only focuses on the heaviest users in real time, so that congestion periods tend to be fleeting and sporadic.

It is important to note that the effect of this technique is temporary and has nothing to do with a customer’s aggregate monthly data usage. Rather, it’s dynamic and based on prevailing network conditions as well as a customer’s data usage over a very recent period of time.

This answer depends on a number of factors, including overall usage, time of day, and the number of applications a customer might be running. First, the local network must be approaching a congested state for our technique to even look for traffic to manage. Assuming that is the case, customers’ accounts must exceed a certain percentage of their upstream or downstream bandwidth (both currently set at 70%) for longer than a certain period of time, currently set at 15 minutes.

UPDATE - I did the 'port blocking' test, or whatever it's called. And tried with a few different port nrs. and NONE of them are blocked according to the test runner???? Now I don't understand anything anymore.

I still get the [DHT] status remains 'waiting for announce...'

So it may not be my ISP? blocking ports, or do they interfere in another way? It's not that the downloads are slowed down, I cannot start downloading any.

UPDATE - I did the 'port blocking' test' date=' or whatever it's called. And tried with a few different port nrs. and NONE of them are blocked according to the test runner???? Now I don't understand anything anymore.

I still get the [DHT'] status remains 'waiting for announce...'

So it may not be my ISP? blocking ports, or do they interfere in another way? It's not that the downloads are slowed down, I cannot start downloading any.

PS. Am I correct in assuming that COMCAST is in USA? I am in Aussieland (Australia).

Frokkel,

Does your contract "forbid" or "limit" P2P sharing ? ISP's can distinguish between different internet activities and block or slow those activities if they wish to do so, you could try "forced" protocol encryption, and see if that helps. Not sure why they would block P2P sharing completely since it makes up a good portion of the ISP business.

Comcast (here in the states) used to throttle P2P uploads heavily until about 4 years ago until they had enough complaints, now they claim not to not manage congestion based on specific online activities, protocols or applications.

To test if your ISP throttle's P2P go here..........http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

They also have a international ISP list on the site which should be up to date...

Rush....

This is part of the contract agreement:

"Web only means you can browse and download as much as you like, whether you want to watch Internet videos, check things out on YouTube, abc iview, catch up TV etc. You also have unlimited use of Skype and Skype Video calling along with Online Gaming. The plans do not permit Peer2Peer download sites (usually unofficial or illegal sites) Usenet/newsgroups or VPN. For most consumers these applications are not a concern, however, if you have a specific use for your internet connection that you suspect could be related to the above restrictions please clarify with a sales representative before setting up a service"

The problem is that I have been with this server for ages, with a contract for slower internet speed. When they changed their policy to No P2P - they left me alone. Never any problem. Now I requested an upgrade to a higher speed (which is also 'unlimited downloads' - no other choice) = No more uTorrent. I did manage to download a few torrents via a similar to BitLet server (direct download, no uTorrent or BitTorrent program needed)......

Dude... call your ISP and demand that they tell you why they are blocking ALL P2P , state the fact that you don't or never intend to download any illegal or copy-written material. Make them aware that there is a large portion of P2P sharing which is completely legit and totally legal. It happens to be one of it not the most efficient way to move large files across the net.

If enough customers complain or threaten to move to another ISP they will listen, Comcast did In 2007 due to overwhelming complaints by users, The Free Press and Public Knowledge, and the Federal Communications Commission. Now if they manage traffic it is certainly not noticeable to me and as much as I dislike their customer service dept. their cable 10/100 service is fast and reliable. I speed test at 21-25Mb/s (pay for only 12Mb/s) and my healthy torrent downloads are always at 2MB/s - 2.5MB/s. (virtually the same)

Did you check the test site I linked for you and if so what was the result .... Glasnost ?

Did you tick "forced encryption"....... options>preferences>bittorrrent>protocol encryption>forced... this may or may not work but it only takes a second to try.

Other than that there is nothing that I know of that you can do besides switching to a different ISP which appreciates it's customers and doesn't unreasonably dictate what activities their customers can or can not do with their broadband usage.

Rush..........

If you're morally satisfied with using p2p, why not just change your isp? They don't get paid for blocking p2p use, so if they find they're losing customers they'll soon start telling the RIAA where to stick it. Personally, I think finding tricky workarounds is playing into their hands, since eventually there will only be the few who know how / can be bothered to do that. Then it'll be easy to round them up, since in the final analysis you can't do anything without it passing through the ISP, who can in principle analyse everything.

Archived