The Option To Turn Off DHT

Robotochan

Hi, I'm not sure if DHT has been implemented yet but I think it has. If it has or when it does get implemented could we have the option to turn it off? Many sites do not allow it's use for example the Dattebayo Fansub group will ban you from downloading if you use DHT. If you could allow us to turn off DHT that'd be grand. Oh and I love uTorrent! downloading a 7.8GB file and only using 3MB of RAM compared to Azureus' 80MB with the same file, kudos to the team :D

Not all clients observe the flag to not do distributed networking. On the Azureus wiki/forum, someone wrote that the current version of BitComet ignored that.

DHT is used by many to superleech from other users. I get a lot of connections, but it is very rare to get anything downloaded from them. Instead, it is always me that uploads a ton to those connections. The typical ratio from distributed connections to me is 0.00 to 0.05 which is definitely NOT a sharing Ratio. Yes, I know that many people will say that 0.05 is actually sharing, but you really have to draw a line somewhere. When the Ratio is so bad, it is not sharing. It is a feature that is used to abuse.

So, I can understand why Dattebayo bans DHT. Not all clients observe the Privacy=1 flag and I am sure that in the future, there will be hacks released to get clients to ignore it.

there should definately be an option to turn it on/off. i do disagree with you though that it should be off by default. I personally think that putting it on by default will benefit many new ppl to BT who choose to use this great little program, especially as µTorrent is going to respect the private flag = 1 option inside torrents and thus disable DHT. anyway not gonna say anymore on it as theres been a long ass thread on this before and at the end of the day its upto the devs as to what they see is best for the client.

If DHT isn't on by default, then it means that it won't be used by the vast majority of users, making it pretty much useless. Users who don't want it on would go and turn it off themselves, the rest don't care so long as their torrents work, which is what DHT would let them do, really.

If DHT isn't on by default, then it means that it won't be used by the vast majority of users, making it pretty much useless. Users who don't want it on would go and turn it off themselves, the rest don't care so long as their torrents work, which is what DHT would let them do, really.

Hear, hear!

Yes, Their torrents will work, On whose account though ?

Just as Anime Janai said, Its a very popular superleech method, especially on clients that dont respect rules (BitComet, it seems).

How is that relevant to this discussion? We're talking about uTorrent, not BitComet. uTorrent will respect the private flag.

Archived