Hating magnet links... any advice?

Bengi010

So pirate bay in their infinite wisdom has decided to stop offering .torrent files and switch to only magnet links. I'm sure you all know that already. I've run into two problems already.

First I generally use Firefox and it can't seem to open a magnet link at all. When I click a link I get this:

File not found:

Firefox can't find the file at magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e5f4cc7e95cff58b049540da7b21486a2e6a2b54&dn=Gotye+-+Making+Mirrors+(2011)+[FLAC]+politux&tr=udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80&tr=udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80&tr=udp://tracker.ccc.de:80.

I can get around that by using chrome, which I don't like, but fine if I can't find a solution if FF then I will.

Having googled this problem for an hour now I've tried 3 different fixes, one in about:config, one in the windows registry, and one ff add on. None of them helped, or really even addressed the problem.

Second issue is how do I make using magnet links as similar to using torrents as possible. I'm used to a window popping up in uTorrent that lists all the files in the torrent so I can pick and choose what I want. Instead I get a blank window and then end up downloading the whole torrent.

I saw another thread (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=113582) about this and I have to agree with the OP. I want magnet links to function just like torrent links.. Starting a download and then choosing to not download files by right clicking each one is tedious and unintuitive.

So I think everybody has this new issue with The Pirate Bay converting all torrent files in to Magnet Links, its useful, but I cant preview the files I will download unless i acept the download and then go to the torrent files tab and see them to pick them right clicking on the priority stuff. And yes I have checked "Show window that displays the files inside...."

So I think everybody has this new issue with The Pirate Bay converting all torrent files in to Magnet Links, its useful, but I cant preview the files I will download unless i acept the download and then go to the torrent files tab and see them to pick them right clicking on the priority stuff. And yes I have checked "Show window that displays the files inside...."

I am having this exact same problem. I can't selectively download until I already start downloading! I prefer to pre-allocate my files, so this is a big problem. :(

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work? Anyone know a solution to this issue?

Well guess I got to use another BitTorrent client. I wish I could just click the Magnet Link and boom utorrent opens and I can start the download. Why I cannot do this just drive me crazy. If Vuze works with Magent Links then I have no problems switching over to it. I enjoyed Vuze until it started adding ads like a whore. Whatever though. I'll fix this tomorrow or at least try too....

Switch to Chrome. It opens the torrents without problems.

FireFox is pretty bad these days anyways.

X2... have had no issues on TPB magnets compatibility with chrome/uTorrent... just beware of the download window if enabled will be devoid of files ... you can only select "skip files" from from files tab after starting download.

Rush....

After trying the rest of the usual fixes for this and still getting the "Firefox can't find the file at magnet:..." error, I tried creating another profile for firebox on my computer, and what do you know magnets now worked. Not wanting to lose my old profile or deal with migrating, I searched for what setting or file in the profile folder could be causing the issue. Finally came up with the mimeTypes.rdf

Fix:

Completely close Firefox

Navigate to: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Then open your *.default folder

Delete or rename mimeTypes.rdf

Start Firefox backup again

Click a magnet, it should now ask to associate to a program

Pick your torrent program and it works!

• 2 weeks later...

Fix:

Completely close Firefox

Navigate to: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Then open your *.default folder

Delete or rename mimeTypes.rdf

Start Firefox backup again

Click a magnet, it should now ask to associate to a program

Pick your torrent program and it works!

Whoohoo! It works:D. Thanks a million, Fragger.

• 4 weeks later...
So I think everybody has this new issue with The Pirate Bay converting all torrent files in to Magnet Links' date=' its useful, but I cant preview the files I will download unless i acept the download and then go to the torrent files tab and see them to pick them right clicking on the priority stuff. And yes I have checked "Show window that displays the files inside...."[/quote']

I am having this exact same problem. I can't selectively download until I already start downloading! I prefer to pre-allocate my files, so this is a big problem. :(

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work? Anyone know a solution to this issue?

I see that uT creates a whatever.torrent file in its appdata directory regardless.

So why not give us the option of interrupting the process AT THAT POINT, then restarting the add-torrent process FROM the created whatever.torrent file, so we have full control of file selection from the start?? This would take two seconds and could be done transparently, especially if offered as a global setting.

Also from the info linked in the post below yours, seems to me magnet links put users at needless risk. :(

I did search, in fact 3 or 4 times before I hit this thread, and didn't find any others about the devs' plans or otherwise useful.

The problem with forum searches is guessing what search terms to use to find other posters' random gibberish. ;)

Archived