Magnet link issue with Firefox

Mac-the-Knife

Using windows xp service pack 3, Comodo firewall,Avast free antivirus and Mozilla Firefox browser. I have hunted the forums and cannot find a specific answer as to what to do. When I click on a magnet link I get a box come up with Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (magnet) isn't associated with any program. It says on The Pirate Bay that if there is a problem with magnet links then I need to update my torrent client, when I click on this it brings up the download page for uTorrent, but my uTorrent is up to date except for the latest beta version. How do I associate Firefox with uTorrent. I have the button ticked in uTorrent to associate torrents with Firefox and this works when I click on Torrent to download, but fails to work when I click on magnet link which is the only option The Pirate Bay now gives. Any help would be appreciated.

I looked at that link once before and I don't really understand a word of it. Firstly, when go to about:config and right click on the page, there is always one item on the page that is highlighted. Now if I click new and enter some relevant data, does that data become a completely new entry, or does that data replace the data that is highlighted? Secondly, what actually am I meant to put in as a new entry, I have found various people saying to put in various things and then others saying that when they put said data in that it didn't work. Thirdly, why is there not something in the uTorrent program that can be set to automatically direct magnet links to it as was the case with torrents and fourth and finally, why do some peoples browsers seem to work o.k. without having to manually put data in the about:config settings of Firefox.

Where in that Knowledge Base article, does it mention doing anything with about:config for Windows?

On Windows, protocol registration is done by the operating system (OS).

If you don't understand it, then just right click on the magnet link and copy it, then click the Add Torrent from URL button in uTorrent, paste the link, and click OK.

My apologies, I was looking under Firefox in the Linux part of the article. I have been right clicking and copying the magnet link in uTorrent, but would prefer uTorrent to just open when I click the magnet link, in the same manner it opens when I click a torrent file, unfortunately I don't understand what I'm meant to put where from reading that article, hence, I'm trying to look at an easier way to do this. Now when I click and open up a file in uTorrent, there is some writing by the magnet link that says:

Get this torrent

(Problems with magnets links are fixed by upgrading your torrent client!)

The torrent client bit is a link and when clicked on it opens up the download page of uTorrent. Now I already have the latest version of uTorrent except the beta version. I therefore wonder if downloading uTorrent afresh will sort the problem of allowing the magnet link to open uTorrent when clicked on and thought that someone on here might have tried this and either succeeded or failed. I don't really want to download the program itself if there is no point in it. My only other way would be the way the article is trying to explain, but I would feel happier with full information of something I can copy and paste and where to copy and paste to. In the meantime I will continue copying and pasting the magnet links into the program and hope that uTorrent comes up with something in the program that, like the box that says use uTorrent to open torrent files, has something like use uTorrent to open magnet files.

O.k, I've managed to find another link that works fine by changing about:config in Firefox browser. There are also other ways to do it as mentioned above, but these seem to difficult for me to understand. The one I used is:

Firefox 3.5 and above (Works without installed Gnome libraries) * Type about:config into the Location Bar (address bar) and press Enter. below the Filter bar in the list of stuff * Right-click -> New -> Boolean -> Preference Name: network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet it will ask -> Value -> false * Next time you click a link of protocol-type magnet you will be asked which application to open it with. direct it to the utorrent exe file * in the programs files install folder and it will open just like a torrent .

http://extratorrent.com/forum/topic/12957/how+to+use+magnet+links+with+utorrent+or+other+clients.html

I did worry about the fact that no matter where you right click in the about:config page, it always highlights whatever link you click by, I was worried it might change that entry to the one I put in, but it doesn't, it adds it as a new entry. I'm unsure whether this is a better way than just right clicking on the magnet link and copying the code into the URL of uTorrent as this way seemed to take an age before the files actually showed up in the file list. The file itself did show in uTorrent straight away, but when clicking on the files tab so I could delete some unwanted files it was quite a wait and was much, much quicker when copying the link into uTorrent. Hope this helps someone else and many thanks for the help received.

Archived