uTorrent won't open

Shiestykat

I've been using uTorrent for years, never had an issue until last night. I tried opening the client as usual yet nothing happens. I get the 'processing' for a bit then poof nothing happens. It's not showing up in my task manager either. I tried uninstalling uTorrent but I can't even do that. I get the same 'processing' icon for a bit then nothing. I'm so confused.... Can anyone help?

I'm having exactly the same problem for some days.

when I start uTorrent the 'processing' next to the cursor pops up for a while and uTorrent shows up in the task manager, after a while both vanishes but that's all; no error, no crash report, nothing.

I tried the up-to-date version and the beta versions (Win 7 64 bit) but always the same. I think this started after I updated uTorrent, not 100% sure though. I didn't try an older version jet.

Edit: Still had an old installer flying around, works like a charm with uTorrent 3.0!

Strange.

Can you try going to %AppData%\' date=' then renaming the uTorrent folder to something like utorrent.bak? (don't delete it if it works)[/quote']

This worked! Thanks man!

Could you zip the old folder and email it to me? This would be very helpful in tracking down what the problem was.

My email is firon at utorrent dot com.

Thanks!

If anyone else here had the problem and renaming the folder helped, please send it to me as well!

Strange.

Can you try going to %AppData%\' date=' then renaming the uTorrent folder to something like utorrent.bak? (don't delete it if it works)[/quote']

This worked! Thanks man!

Could you zip the old folder and email it to me? This would be very helpful in tracking down what the problem was.

My email is firon at utorrent dot com.

Thanks!

If anyone else here had the problem and renaming the folder helped, please send it to me as well!

hi Firon,

i just sent you the zipped folder of utorrent. hope you can investigate the problem. thank you.

We believe we've fixed the problem.

The issue is that these settings were actually corrupted, but instead of ignoring the settings and loading like normal we simply crashed.

You should be able to get it to work by deleting settings.dat and settings.dat.old and reusing the rest of the directory, if you'd like to keep your torrents.

For those of you with the APPCRASH issue, we need additional information.

Please follow these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241215

Then email the dump to me. firon at utorrent.com

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I've got same problem, today. Yesterday used utorrent with no problem, today, it appears in the task manager for very little time and goes away without start...

Went to appdata/utorrent and rename to utorrent.bak, no result, and at same folder deleted settings.dat and settings.dat.old and didn't solve it.

any ideas?

I'm a former torrent user. Former because I uninstalled mine about 4 months ago because it changed its language and everytime I want to revert it back to English,it crashes and hangs and then,all the items I am downloading stopped. I tried to uninstall at that time but it hangs and prompts about what i really can't remember. And then I erased its program file and it worked.Now I'm trying to install it again by downloading it from this website and the file doesn't open? Can you please help me out here?

Again, which version of the program are you using. Also, as far as I'm aware, utorrent doesn't come with an uninstall feature. If you want to get rid of the program then you need to delete the utorrent folder that contains the uTorrent.exe then you need delete the utorrent folder from your application data, then delete any shortcuts and check you torrent isn't running in your start up items. I would suggest, if you aren't using it at present, that you download the latest 3.2.1 beta version of utorrent. The last two stable versions had certain issues and some of them have been addressed in the beta version.

• 1 month later...

Administrator has provided a couple of fixes for the problem others are having, too, that is, utorrent won't open, but, for us not technically adept, no instructions for how to instigate those changes are given. Please help. By the way, I don't want to lose my torrents already downloaded and until day before yesterday, all was well. Malware is not the problem.

Thank you.

but, for us not technically adept, no instructions for how to instigate those changes are given
Without knowing the answers to the following

client version and build?

Operating System?

is the icon visible in the system tray? (That's the bit at the end of the taskbar where the clock is.)

Nobody CAN give instructions!

• 1 month later...

I had the problem initially of having Utorrent not respond when I went to download a torrent, and found that it was running in processes. I ended task and still could not get the the program to open as it had in the past. I found this topic in a search and followed the instruction to change my App Data folder to utorrent.bak, and it worked as far as getting Utorrent to behave as it had always done! So thank you!

BUT I read through and I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I have one torrent currently downloading. The program is not seeding anything in my downloads folder and there's no listing of any of them that I can find in the program. I don't want to lose them, and I'm wary of moving them. Do I just not associate them any longer with Utorrent? And what do I do with the utorrent.bak folder? I'm thinking that I could remove settings.dat and settings old.dat files and then removing the .bak might be thing to do, but I thought I'd ask before taking the risk. Thanks for reading!

What do I do about my existing torrents and the utorrent.bak folder?

My system is Vista and my version of Utorrent is 3.2.3.

When I say existing torrents I mean those files that were seeding prior to my changing the name of the app data utorrent folder. I don't want to lose those.

Thanks for replying!:)

Archived