How to Uninstall the uTorrent web browser toolbar

DFWM

Just downloaded the latest version of uTorrent, and it automatically added a toolbar to all my web browsers, even after I told it not to (have you ever noticed that about software installers? They still install undesirable components even if you've unchecked their boxes?)

My internet connection speed, and even the speed of my computer overall, have been diminished since the unauthorized installation of this toolbar. How can it and why does it suck up so much processing power? I've got a 2.0Ghz processor, BTW.

I've been trying to uninstall said toolbar, but it doesn't appear in my list of programs in Control Panel, I've uninstalled uTorrent itself, but the toolbar is still in place after that, and I even uninstall and re-install those same web browsers, but the toolbar still appears even after I've done that.

How do I get RID of this toolbar? Like I said above, my internet connection speed, and even the overall speed of my entire computer, has significantly slowed down, to the point that internet content takes longer to upload/download than usual.

Firefox and/or Chrome? Could you do me a solid and check if %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\urdefaultprofile\extensions contains a directory {687578b9-7132-4a7a-80e4-30ee31099e03} and if C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions contains a pacgpkgadgmibnhpdidcnfafllnmeomc directory?

There's a separate toolbar entry in control panel. Uninstall that. Then go into the addons config for your browsers to remove the toolbars. Firefox you should also be able to just delete the extension directory if you can find it. Dunno if chrome is ok with that.

Deselect all checkmarks for the toolbar when installing and you'll not get any "malware".

Yeah, you'd know that I did just that if you ACTUALLY READ MY POST. Kind of sad when the advice you give DOESN'T WORK, and I have also tried your advice before you've even given it.

Just downloaded the latest version of uTorrent, and it automatically added a toolbar to all my web browsers, even after I told it not to (have you ever noticed that about software installers? They still install undesirable components even if you've unchecked their boxes?)

Firefox and/or Chrome? Could you do me a solid and check if %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\urdefaultprofile\extensions contains a directory {687578b9-7132-4a7a-80e4-30ee31099e03} and if C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions contains a pacgpkgadgmibnhpdidcnfafllnmeomc directory?

There's a separate toolbar entry in control panel. Uninstall that. Then go into the addons config for your browsers to remove the toolbars. Firefox you should also be able to just delete the extension directory if you can find it. Dunno if chrome is ok with that.

Yeah, I've been using both Firefox and Chrome. Neither file path led to any of the directories you described, though there were a few directories that were randomly named with a mixture of letters, numbers, and symbols, so I deleted them and their contents.

There is no toolbar entry on my Control Panel list, though.

Just opened up Chrome, selected the Settings (Wrench Symbol) at the top right of the browser, tools -> extensions -> remove uTorrent Control from Chrome, but the toolbar is still there.

Re-opened Chrome...yup, toolbar's still there.

SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SPEND TIME UNINSTALLING MALWARE - BECAUSE CONDUIT AND UTORRENT SHOULD TREAT THEIR USERS BETTER THAN THAT.

I'M UNINSTALLING UTORRENT AND WILL NEVER USE CONDUIT SOFTWARE AGAIN! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It should work, if you don't enable any checkmark it should not install any toolbars.

Please post a screenshot of what you deselected.

I can verify this just happened to me as well. I of course can't past a screen shot because it has already installed. It also destroyed my Chrome profile, next time I opened Chrome (moments later), my profile was gone, all extensions missing except the toolbar I told it not to install. I never would have installed this client if I knew this would happen. Not Cool. It installed itself in Firefox and IE as well. As I said, not cool at all. I should tell Humble Bundle to put up a warning.

• 2 weeks later...

I used some of the advice above and wandered around a bit and found that you have to, for Chrome at least, go to Tools, then Extensions and hover the mouse to the right of the check box for the listed extensions until a trash can appears. Click that and boom, the toolbar is gone.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I had the same problem :/ It's infuriating for sure, but I think I managed to get rid of it for good. I'm not sure what you've tried, probably everything but here is my two cents.

(In chrome): Up by the top right hand corner right next to the wrench I had two utorrent icons. Just simple little squares with the logo, akin to the one that appears on the taskbar at the bottom of your computer. I went to the wrench, went down to 'tools' and opened the task manager from there. I ended anything that wasn't the blank tab I had open. After that I closed out of chrome and reopened. I went back and made sure the blank tab was still the only thing registering and deleted everything else. Tiny notification bubble popped up at the bottom right of my screen asking if I wanted to try installing utorrent bar again -_- ignore them and they go away (kinda like drunk women at a bar). The icons were still next to the wrench so I right-clicked and (I believe) it said something along the lines of uninstall. Ugh, I can't remember exactly what it said but the bottom line is that I clicked it, it went away and BOOM. I have no more problems...

Hope any of this helps :/ Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Had the same trouble as everyone else. One thing to note that I just became aware of. If your uTorrent toolbar/client is out of date, in Firefox, a separate bit of code runs that tries to update the software on your next restart of Firefox. You can tell if this is the case because in your add-ons menu, you'll have two references to uTorrent toolbar, with the message, uTorrent will update on your next restart of the browser. You'll also notice that while you can hit "remove" on one line, you can't on the update line. What winds up happening (accidentally from poor QAing of the software, or more likely intentionally) is you remove the current instance of the toolbar but after closing, the call to update is still there. Hence, on restart, you still have the toolbar. So, to remedy this, go into your Add-Ons, find the line mentioning your update and instead hit the Undo link. This will remove the attempt to update, THEN hit the remove button from the second line item. Restart your browser and it should be gone. Hope that helps. I've been using uTorrent for quite a while and this is the first time I've missed the check. To be more honest to your user base you really should separate the line item, "Agree to Terms and Conditions" and install the toolbar. Every other piece of software on the planet requires you to agree to terms before installing so its almost second nature to leave this checked as soon as our eyes hit the word Agree. You would most likely improve your reputation and increase your user base by instilling trust with your users. My .02.

... You would most likely improve your reputation and increase your user base by instilling trust with your users. My .02.

Unfortunately, even that eventually did not work. After a full computer restart, the toolbar was back. My final fix was to update Firefox. If your current version of Firefox is out of date, manually update it. It then checks the compatability of your current add-ons and updates the toolbar. Then you can go into Add-Ons and delete it and it does work. You will have to manually remove the Conduit Custom uTorrent search bar separately by clicking the small second search bar icon pulldown, choose manage search engines and remove that bar. In the end that finally got rid of it.

Ok I just installed uTorrent 2.2.1 today I did not check anything to do with the toolbar prior to install. But surprise it did. Not too much of a problem as I know how to click on the wrench and get rid of it that way. Now the f#ckers have change it again. Now it looks like this:http://i.imgur.com/UAIkj.jpg I can not work out how to get rid of it. They must have got tired of people deleting it so the upped the difficulty of getting rid of it....:rolleyes: Anyone come across this yet?

• 2 months later...

I had checked marked so I could test the toolbar out but decided to opt-out of it I did a full uninstall of both the utorrent client and the utorrent toolbar only to reinstall the utorrent client with everything unchecked regarding the toolbar only to find out that I have both the uTorrentControl_v6 and v2 installed still but no means to remove it. NO not even via Progams and Features.

Each time I create a new profile in chrome it re-appears.

Here is what I have so for for manually uninstalling it if it no longer shows up in Add & Remove (Programs and Features)

For Chrome:

uTorrentControl_v2 10.13.20.29

uTorrentControl_v2

ID: ejpbbhjlbipncjklfjjaedaieimbmdda

Inspect views: js/chromeBackStage.html

uTorrentControl_v6 10.14.40.128

uTorrentControl_v6

ID: cflheckfmhopnialghigdlggahiomebp

Inspect views: js/chromeBackStage.html

Registry Entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\Extensions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Google\Chrome\Extensions

Folder/File:

%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\default\databases

%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\default\extensions

%localappdata%\CRE

-if there is additional profiles just change default to Profile <#>

I've been trying to uninstall Utorrent browser bar, but it doesn't appear in my list of programs in Control Panel

There is a .CRX file located in the 'C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\CRE' directory. Delete this file and remove any references to this folder in the registry by searching '\AppData\Local\CRE'.

Archived