Suddenly Very Slow D/Load Speed :(

xfamished

Hi all, first off I'd like to say I'm not very computer literate, so bear with me! So for the past week or so I've been having extremely slow download speeds with uTorrent.

Am downloading torrents at around 20-50 kb/s when for the 3+ years before last week I've had absolutely no problem whatsover with uTorrent (downloading at around 500 kb/s - 2 m/s).

- It's 100% not to do with the amount of seeders/leechers because it's been happening for a week and I really only download new/most seeded torrents.

- It's not which site I download from (have tried piratebay/torrentday/kickasstorrents, etc).

- I've tried pretty much everything in this thread > http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992#p258238 to no avail.

- Tried using Tixati and that seems to be downloading a lot faster then uTorrent (up to 500 kb/s). But I'd very much rather use uTorrent because when uTorrent is working properly its speeds were faster and I am much use to using it than any other torrent clients.

- Tried the Glasnost test and results came back fine.

- I tried forwarding my ports, but I don't know if I did it properly or not. But with < this, why would forwarding my ports mean anything if they haven't been forwarded for the last 3 years with uTorrent working fine?

- I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling uTorrent and have deleted the .dat settings, etc.

- Only change I've really done with my computer lately is using Malwarebytes. But I've since deleted it and tried all the above, which hasn't helped.

- Currently using McAfee Internet Security. Once again have been using this for years so I don't know why this would have anything to do with it. Have tried turning off my firewall anyway but that didn't work.

- Don't know if this helps but I use a D-Link (D1-624) Router.

- The bottom of my uTorrent has a green tick. I've tried pressing ctrl+G in uTorrent and ran the test and it came back saying :

BANDWITH - "Results: Speed test failed. Connection failed error: Timed out. (10060) with a red cross.

NETWORK - "Results: Port is not open (you are still able to download). With a yellow tick and a black asterix. < Once again I don't think I've ever had my ports open and it's worked fine in the past, though have never done this test till now...

- Went on Speedtest.com and received these results (btw I'm in Australia so a heads up won't be awesome results compared to USA). Ping: 9 Download Speed: 19.09 Mb/s Upload: 0.49 Mb/s

Any help would be much appreciated... Have been so frustrated trying to fix this! Thankyou!

Want to try my settings.dat file(s) in my tips-guide?

Make sure you select one suitable for your connection *upload* speed! (test with control-G/setup guide)

Yep I'm willing to give anything a go mate! I clicked on your second link and downloaded a file named "settings_313_1M" Is this what I use?

Do I just rename it to 'settings.dat' and put it in the utorrent folder to overwrite mine?

If your connection/line has ~1Mbit/sec upload rate - yes. Just backup-rename your previous settings.dat/.old files, so you can always revert back. If the speed cap is something your ISP is responsible to - I doubt it'll help...

and.. use the good ubuntu torrent to test it...

http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-12.04-alternate-i386.iso.torrent

edit: you'd also want to adjust the correct paths in it...

If your connection/line has ~1Mbit/sec upload rate - yes. Just backup-rename your previous settings.dat/.old files, so you can always revert back. If the speed cap is something your ISP is responsible to - I doubt it'll help...

and.. use the good ubuntu torrent to test it...

Ok I think I understand. Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Btw I don't think it's my ISP because other torrent clients work as they should and I tried that Glasnost test which said my ISP wasn't blocking anything.

edit: Sorry but what does using the 'good ubuntu torrent' mean?

btw, what version of uTorrent are you using?
edit: Sorry but what does using the 'good ubuntu torrent' mean?

A link was edited in...

Using uTorrent 3.2

Before I even tried your method my torrents in uTorrent went from 50 kb/s to absolutely nothing. It says downloading and I have a green bar at the bottom of uTorrent but there is nothing in the download/upload slot.

Anyway I tried what you told me (Changed the file name I downloaded from you to settings and deleted the settings.dat in my uTorrent folder, then moved and replaced your file to the uTorrent folder), but this didn't change anything. Also, I'm not too sure what you mean by 'adjust the correct paths in it..'

Tried just about everything I can thing of... Thanks for trying to help though

edit: Actually the torrent file I downloaded from you (ubuntu) just started downloading (rate of 400 kb/s), but no other files (piratebay/torrentday, etc) are working...

I don't think I did the settings thing properly though because the settings are the same as they were before I tried copying / pasting them.

What would be the reason why I can get full download speeds from your unbuntu file with uTorrent but am getting absolutely nothing from piratebay?

edit: Actually the torrent file I downloaded from you (ubuntu) just started downloading (rate of 400 kb/s)

Good first step...

I don't think I did the settings thing properly though because the settings are the same as they were before I tried copying / pasting them.

What would be the reason why I can get full download speeds from your unbuntu file with uTorrent but am getting absolutely nothing from piratebay?

OK, here is another hunch... Make sure you are NOT using magnet links for now (use .torrent *files*). Piratebay use only magnets, try http://kat.ph ...

Use the latest 3.2 build from http://user.utorrent.com/downloads ...

And the proper procedure is what is in my guide -> close uTorrent, replace settings.dat (the correct one!..) , start uTorrent.

Am using your settings now and everything seems to be back to normal.

Even a Piratebay torrent downloading at 1.6 mb/s atm :)

Only small differenece is when a torrent is downloading now it seems to fluctuate a lot more (1.5mb/s and suddenly drop to 300kb/s), which it didn't use to do. But it's 100x better than it was before!

Thanks heaps rafi!

Archived