How do I seed without downloading?

bobtestact

I am trying to find a way to seed a file without downloading it again, and without having to create a new torrent.

I have already downloaded many files, and I have kept the original .torrent files that I originally used to get them.

I just re-installed my operating system, and I had to re-install uTorrent. But now I can't seem to find a way to simply go back to seeding all my files. Every time I try, uTorrent wants to re-download them again.

How do I *simply* seed files, given that I still have the original .torrents? Specifically:

* I do NOT want to re-download them again

* I do NOT want to bother re-recreating new torrents and submitting them to a tracker

* I simply want to go back to seeding all my files like I was doing before.

I am using uTorrent 1.6 build 474. Can somebody please give me explicit, step-by-step instructions for exactly how to do this?

Hello. I'm a new comer and I'm french so sorry if my english's not perfect or if my questions seem silly. I just want to put the content of [specifics removed] to be seeded and I don't know how to do. Can anyone help me ?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

For the love of god, can someone please explain this STEP BY STEP, IN ENGLISH using VERY SPECIFIC INFO about WHAT TO CLICK\TYPE\ETC ...

i have read TEN posts on this subject ... i have consulted the FAQ, i have asked on other boards ... i am no dunce, but this is ridiculous ...

i have to this point been using Azureus 2.5 but was recently informed that there are serious bugs in that release ... thus i have switched over to Utorrent ...

I have MANY (very many) torrents that were started and finished in Azureus that i would LOVE to seed for the rest of the world, however i CAN NOT get them to simply seed ... the always want to download again ...

i've seen posts that mention something about using "Add Torrent (no default save)" and pointing to a folder ... i've seen people say to just point to a folder ... i've seen people suggest running some command line prompt ...

WHAT DO I DO !?!

SPECIFICALY ... what drop down do i open (IN 1.6 ... UTORRENT 1.6 !!!!) what is the title of the menu ... what is the process i go through ...

i repeat, i have read over 10 posts on this and NONE of them give me a clue what to do ... i have wandered aimlessly through options for the past 3 hours ... WTF !??!

:( :( :(

edit: well i found THIS: http://utorrent.com/migration_guide.php

it looks like it is a bit convoluted ...

Create a folder called AUTOLOAD on your desktop

Create a folder called TORRENTS somewhere where you wish your finished torrents to be relocated ( for example c:\My Documents\My Torrents\).

Go to Options > Preferences > Downloads : location of downloaded files: check "Put new downloads in:" and point the path to the folder you were using to save your completed torrents in with your previous client.

Go to Options > Preferences > Others. Under Storage for torrent files: Check "Move .torrents for finished jobs to: " and point the path to the TORRENTS folder (never mind the "Save the .torrent files" option for now).

Under Auto-load Torrents, check "Automatically load torrents in directory" and point the path to the AUTOLOAD folder on your desktop.

Find the .torrent for the files you wish to load (which match the files in your completed folder), and move them (not copy) to the AUTOLOAD folder on your desktop.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME ...

so this example deals with THREE folders ...

1. "TORRENTS"

2. "AUTOLOAD"

3. wherever the bleep your currently completed data files are stored ...

so ...

1. "TORRENTS" ... this is for where you want the SHELL .torrent extension files to end up ... when done ?

2. "AUTOLOAD" this is where i place the SHELL .torrent extension files for the previously downloaded files?

Question 1: WHY ARE THESE TWO SEPERATE FOLDERS AT ALL!?!

Question 2: Is the above correct?

I throw ALL THE FLAC\.BIN\.IMG\.MP3 WHATEVER the DATA files in to a folder and do this:

Go to Options > Preferences > Downloads : location of downloaded files: check "Put new downloads in:" and point the path to the folder you were using to save your completed torrents in with your previous client.

Then i put ALL THE .TORRENT FILES THAT I WANT TO SEED (But already have downloaded all the data) INTO THE "AUTOLOAD" FOLDER?

Why don't i just point the "Automatically load torrents in directory" and the "Move .torrents for finished jobs to: " to the SAME FREAKING PLACE?

This is driving me CRAZY (see Kindergarden Cop)

Krapola!

:(

@DriftingByTheStorm

By default, µTorrent will store any downloaded files in (and also seed completed files from) the location where the µtorrent.exe file is. If this is fine with you, then all you need to do is copy any files you wish to share into that directory, load the torrent files into µTorrent (you can even drag'n'drop them) and you should be good to go.

If you want more control over currently downloading or completed files then you can open µTorrent and at the top you with see File, Options and Help

Select Options, then Preferences, then Downloads and that will take you to the settings you wish to modify.

If you need more help than this, please start a thread of your own and I'll be happy to assist.

Archived