Can't find where torrent files were downloaded to?

basedbro

Hey, I've been using utorrent for quite some time and never have experienced an issue like this, so I figured this would be the best place to bring my questions to. I'll try to be as clear as possible to make it both easier on you guys, and me.

So anyway, last night I downloaded about 5gb worth of torrents, and now they are absolutely nowhere to be found. I tried to right click on the torrent after it was finished downloading and began seeding like i usually do, and clicking "open containing folder", but it only takes me to my documents. And there's not a single folder in My Documents that's even slightly related to uTorrent, so I'm positive the downloads aren't in there. Torrents that I download usually save to a downloads folder I have, but somehow the directory has been changed from that downloads folder to "c\". I attempted to download a small file and will provide a screenshot to let you know what I mean below.

24ywitc.jpg

I'm assuming "c\" means the C hard drive, right? But I'm not sure. It could be anywhere on the hard drive if I'm not mistaken. I've tried opening up start and searching for the torrents, but nothing ever comes up. I know for a fact that they downloaded 100% successfully, but I'm not sure where they're located. The fact that I can't find the torrents to install/do what I wanted to isn't what bothers me, it's the fact that it wasted space that it seems I can't get back. I've even went into the AppData/Roaming folders for uTorrent and nothing. There's a bunch of torrents I've downloaded that are stored in there, but not the ACTUAL files. I'll provide another screenshot below.

xg9dj.jpg

So yeah, I don't know what else to mention. But any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't manage to get my space back, I'm gonna flip out. I'll probably end up doing a system recovery because I'm pretty OCD and don't want missing space on my computer :\

If you haven't set a location in Preferences -> Directories.

Type %userprofile%\downloads into the Run... dialog and press [Enter]

I obviously have a download location directory set, otherwise it wouldn't have downloaded at all.. The thing is it just downloaded to the wrong directory instead of the one I usually use, and now I can't find it.

otherwise it wouldn't have downloaded at all..
That is NOT the case, with no explicit location set, uTorrent will use the default downloads location that the operating system dictates.

Have you set the "Save Directory" column visible in the job list so you can see where uTorrent has put the files?

otherwise it wouldn't have downloaded at all..
That is NOT the case, with no explicit location set, uTorrent will use the default downloads location that the operating system dictates.

Have you set the "Save Directory" column visible in the job list so you can see where uTorrent has put the files?

Yeah, see, I was used to the downloads going into my default downloads folder. But like I said, the location had accidently been set to "c\" which I have been told is an incorrect location. How do I "set the save directory column visible in the job list"?

In the column headers context menu (right click)

Where exactly is the column headers context menu? Not trying to ask obvious questions but I'm sort of a n00b at this I guess

Nevermind.. I think I found it. Just took a right click on one of the top columns and I enabled Save Directory. Nothing is under it though? :(. This is really frustrating, all I want is my disk space back since I'm running so low on it. I don't understand why the torrents I downloaded saved 100% and completed, but now are no where to be found on my computer.

It can't be 'empty', as in completely blank, otherwise your job list would be showing "Files missing from job. Please recheck".

What directories do you have in the root of C: drive?

What happens when you right click on a job and select "Open containing folder" from the context menu?

What does the "Save As:" field show on the "Info" tab in the "Detailed Info" pane?

It can't be 'empty', as in completely blank, otherwise your job list would be showing "Files missing from job. Please recheck".

What directories do you have in the root of C: drive?

What happens when you right click on a job and select "Open containing folder" from the context menu?

What does the "Save As:" field show on the "Info" tab in the "Detailed Info" pane?

This is what pops up under the save directories: 34eydzt.jpg

Nothing there.. unless I'm showing you the wrong screen?

And sorry but you'll have to be more specific when you say "What directories do you have in the root of C: drive?" Like, which folders do I usually have my stuff saved in under there?

And when I right click then choose open containing folder of a torrent I just downloaded, it takes me to My Documents. But there's nothing there out of the ordinary that I haven't seen before. And I'm almost certain there are no hidden folders under there that my documents are saving to. Because if there were, I could still go to search and type in the name of the files and they'd pop up.

And how do I get to the "save as" field or whatever?

But you have absolutely no jobs loaded? You are not going to find anything using the uTorrent GUI.

So, given that new perspective, let's go along a different route.

A: What do you do to remove the jobs from the list

B: When you right click on the red X in the toolbar, what option is selected?

C: Following this train of thought to it's ultimate destination .... Have you looked in the "Recycle Bin" for your downloads??

Select the 'Info' tab instead of the 'Speed' tab. But! You do need at least one active job in the list for it to show anything.

But you have absolutely no jobs loaded? You are not going to find anything using the uTorrent GUI.

So, given that new perspective, let's go along a different route.

A: What do you do to remove the jobs from the list

B: When you right click on the red X in the toolbar, what option is selected?

C: Following this train of thought to it's ultimate destination .... Have you looked in the "Recycle Bin" for your downloads??

Select the 'Info' tab instead of the 'Speed' tab. But! You do need at least one active job in the list for it to show anything.

A) Yeah, I see what you mean now, but anyway all I did when I removed the jobs was what I've been doing from years. I'd right click and choose Remove.

B) Move to trash if possible.

C) Yes, the Recycle bin was one of the first places I decided to look.

When I first downloaded the torrents, the directory location wasn't set to where I wanted it to be. It changes frequently on it's own, not sure how. This is a common issue I've had with uTorrent before, but it never prevented me from actually locating the torrents. It says the location was "C\" which isn't the same as the C drive I'm assuming. When I right click and then choose open containing folder, it just brings me to My Documents and there's absolutely nothing there other than what I always keep there which is only about 4 folders.. And before you or anyone else mentions it, I've checked My Documents and there are NO hidden files or folders.

But, last night, I still have one of the torrents (same save directory and everything) still seeding on uTorrent, and I clicked under files and played one of the MP3s that was contained in the torrent and it began playing through iTunes. But when in iTunes, I selected the song and chose "Show in Windows Explorer" and then I was told that it refers to a location that is unavailable. So I know that the stuff I downloaded exists.

But it can't play it if the location is unavailable, doesn't make sense.

Which option was selected when you right click on the red X, just Remove?

If you're sure the files exists, try search again, on the filenames.

Maybe try a search indexer, like Locate32 or Everything.

You can also try looking for files taking lots of space with TreeSize Free.

• 2 months later...
Hey, I've been using utorrent for quite some time and never have experienced an issue like this, so I figured this would be the best place to bring my questions to. I'll try to be as clear as possible to make it both easier on you guys, and me.

So anyway, last night I downloaded about 5gb worth of torrents, and now they are absolutely nowhere to be found. I tried to right click on the torrent after it was finished downloading and began seeding like i usually do, and clicking "open containing folder", but it only takes me to my documents. And there's not a single folder in My Documents that's even slightly related to uTorrent, so I'm positive the downloads aren't in there. Torrents that I download usually save to a downloads folder I have, but somehow the directory has been changed from that downloads folder to "c\". I attempted to download a small file and will provide a screenshot to let you know what I mean below.

http://i47.tinypic.com/24ywitc.jpg

I'm assuming "c\" means the C hard drive, right? But I'm not sure. It could be anywhere on the hard drive if I'm not mistaken. I've tried opening up start and searching for the torrents, but nothing ever comes up. I know for a fact that they downloaded 100% successfully, but I'm not sure where they're located. The fact that I can't find the torrents to install/do what I wanted to isn't what bothers me, it's the fact that it wasted space that it seems I can't get back. I've even went into the AppData/Roaming folders for uTorrent and nothing. There's a bunch of torrents I've downloaded that are stored in there, but not the ACTUAL files. I'll provide another screenshot below.

http://i49.tinypic.com/xg9dj.jpg

So yeah, I don't know what else to mention. But any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't manage to get my space back, I'm gonna flip out. I'll probably end up doing a system recovery because I'm pretty OCD and don't want missing space on my computer :\

I think I've found a solution on where your downloaded files are my friend.. I too suffered like you..

Sticking to the point.. In my case.. at a WIndows 7 64bit OS the "hidden" downloaded files are located at: C:/Windows/SysWOW64/o/

If this is also your case, and you've successfully located yours.. Your welcome.. Glad I could help

• 1 year later...

I think I've found a solution on where your downloaded files are my friend.. I too suffered like you..

Sticking to the point.. In my case.. at a WIndows 7 64bit OS the "hidden" downloaded files are located at: C:/Windows/SysWOW64/o/

If this is also your case, and you've successfully located yours.. Your welcome.. Glad I could help

Hi, I'm suffering from the same issue as you guys. Been looking for a solution for hours but nothing. I originally downloaded a file, a single .iso. I confirmed it without looking at the download path, which I had originally set up to be D:\DATA\Downloads. So far, none of my downloads were sent to stray folders, except for one case, where instead of the above path, it went to \NOAH\ (no drive mentioned) for no reason whatsoever. I caught it before it completely downloaded, so I was able to avoid from this annoyance. It puzzled me that it went to a stray folder though, because after I clicked the same torrent, it went to the intended destination.

This case is similar, except that I was so excited and busy, I didn't check the path mentioned, expecting things to go like normal when it finished downloading. I've been torrenting for 3-4 years, so although I won't say I'm an expert, I know roughly how utorrent is supposed to work. This is strange. Because when I couldn't find the .iso file, I right clicked the download list and chose 'Open Containing Folder'. It sent me to 'My Computer'. I thought I must've clicked something else, so I did it again, and it again sent me to 'My Computer'. But there was nothing there, except my two hard drive partitions, my dvd drive and my virtual drive. But, C drive lost exactly the amount of space that t he .iso supposed to occupy. I did a search, and it didn't find anything.

I didn't want 1.5GB worth of file that I couldn't find, so I right clicked the list and chose the command Remove and Delete Torrent + Data. I saw the torrent file in the recycle bin, but not the downloaded file itself. I thought it was just a glitch, so I proceeded to Empty Recycle Bin, as it always solved all my problems with diskspace afterwards. But it wasn't settled and now I have a ghost file that takes up 1.5GB and don't know where it is.

I'm also using Windows 7 64bit. Can you tell me how you find the ghost file on your computer? I did as you suggested, but there is not /o/ folder in that directory, and I have already enabled the show invisible files option. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Archived