Bandwidth and Download Speed not working

reddpyro

The Bandwidth Allocation tab isn't working properly. Selecting High results in Normal, selecting Normal results in Low, and selecting Low results in none being highlighted. No matter what Bandwidth is selected, download speeds are abysmally low. This only started recently.

Download speed. It used to be upwards of 3mbps, now it's barely breaking 300kbps. My top bandwidth download speed is 6.4 Mbps. Even with Download Speed set to unlimited and all limits off, the speed doesn't increase.

I'm running the 3.3 Beta. I had the same problem with 3.2.3.

Help me!!

Edit: Upload cap is also not working. I set upload to 1kbps while downloading, and auto-stop when finished. Auto-stop is working, but while I'm downloading it's also uploading at 300kbps.

Speedtest.net result: Download 13.39 Mbps, Upload 4.01 Mbps

Glasnost result: ISP Doesn't limit upload or download.

Haven't checked bug reports yet, as the problem arose without warning. I hadn't updated utorrent or changed to a new build. After the problem appeared, I moved up to the new Beta, but it's persisted since then.

Also, no matter how small your bandwidth may be, you can always increase the allocation. I used to run utorrent on a 1Mbps bandwidth, and I never had a problem increasing the bandwidth. Just means more of it is devoted to my downloads. The new problem is that whenever I select a higher bandwidth, it selects the next one down. And no matter what bandwidth is selected, the download speed never gets above 1Mbps, and it rarely even gets that high anymore.

Update: The download speed seems to have more or less resolved itself. However, I'm still unable to increase the bandwidth. High bandwidth setting usually results in 3MBps + download speeds... normal averages out at 1.8-2.3. Currently downloading at 2.0Mbps, but would like that increased.

Also, no matter how small your bandwidth may be, you can always increase the allocation.

Sure but if your client isn't getting anywhere near limits at the low setting allocating more simply isn't going to have an effect, it's a bit like fitting a 4inch fire hose to a water pistol and expecting gallons per minute to flow through.

How many jobs are running?

How many peers/seeds are connected to the jobs.

16-24 Seeds actively downloading
Seeding peers wont be downloading, so we'll assume that is merely a "slip twix brain and keyboard" :)

So with only one job active with however many connections per torrent you allow and the number of upload slots per torrent, some of those could be choked and there may be only one peer actually active.

Have a read up on Choking and Optimistic Unchoking.

200ish Seeds available, 1400ish peers.
They are just guesstimates

By the way.

With a single seeding job active, and a desire to use data transfer and/or employ your available bandwith "to the max", don't play about with allocation, use the connections settings and upload slots along with bt.allow_same_ip set to true, so connected peers can be "greedy" and request more slots and simultaneous pieces.

Archived