Error: The system can not find the path specified. (WriteToDisk)

kijurgas

Torrent starts downloading for a few sec. then I get this error "Error: The system can not find the path specified. (WriteToDisk)" . I use Windows 8, uTorrent 3.3. Tried running as administrator, changing download directories, changing folder security properties. Nothing helped.

Can anybody suggest a solution????

• 3 months later...

path length is:

The drive letter, plus your download location name plus the directory/folder name the files are in PLUS the file names in the torrent, PLUS the path delimiters '\'. And if anyone of those files names exceed 256 characters, Windows will throw an error as that piece is written to disc.

the only thing that YOU could change easily is your download location for that job (Context menu -> Set Download location) and put it in a root directory (X:\) or in a directory with a single character name.

By default I use X:\-\ for download and X:\d\ for completed jobs to avoid such problems.

• 1 month later...

ok this is not a name character issue, it cant be! im running v.3.3 on win7

my destionation is "C:\Users\User\Downloads" my file name is "Star Trek Armada II"

how is that gonna equal 250 characters?!?!

edited:

i dont know what this does: but i whent to advnce and clicked 'clear peer list' and 'reset bans'

and it worked so...thx for offereing retardedly complicated solutions, my way worked just fine... thx anyways...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been getting the same error for a couple of months now, and I found out the problem.

Here's the thing: usually when you format your hard drive, you only erase the partition that has your system installed, and the other(s) partition(s) stay the same.

But, when the operational system is recently installed, you gotta open your folders and "give access" to it. When you have lots and lots of folders like me, you simply don't even access them. If you try to download a torrent to an specified path, and you haven't yet opened it (or copied something into it, I don't remember now. Maybe you have to try to copy something too), It's give this error.

The 256 characters thing is true, but as kijurgas said, It won't solve the problem if your folders were not yet given access!

Hope it helps.

bk1991, have you read every suggestion on this page? If none of them work, then I'm sorry :(

- Files path must be under 256 characters. Including the name.

- You must have access to the folder you're trying to download it to. Sometimes when you format your computer and leave a partition untouched, you have to manually open the folder and give access to it. Or change the Security properties of the partition you're trying to use. Right click on partition > Properties > Security > Group or user names: > Edit > [select the user/group you're using] check the FULL CONTROL box > Apply

• 2 weeks later...

Im having the same problem and none of these solutions are working for me.

The problem just started a few days ago, and only effects some torrents. I have not been able to determine which ones work and which don't. It seems to be arbitrary.

I know its not the file name length, because I've downloaded longer file names and they worked fine, but also, i have changed the directory to root, and changed the "download name" to a single letter.

I have also clicked on the torrent and cleared the ban list, and peer list. Still no luck.

Its not a new windows install, and I have access to the drive.

At this point I'm not sure what to do next...

• 3 months later...

Im having the same problem and none of these solutions are working for me.

The problem just started a few days ago, and only effects some torrents. I have not been able to determine which ones work and which don't. It seems to be arbitrary.

I know its not the file name length, because I've downloaded longer file names and they worked fine, but also, i have changed the directory to root, and changed the "download name" to a single letter.

I have also clicked on the torrent and cleared the ban list, and peer list. Still no luck.

Its not a new windows install, and I have access to the drive.

At this point I'm not sure what to do next...

This is exactly my issue too.  No settings were changed and it started doing this.  Anybody got anymore suggestions?  It doesn't make any sense.

• 2 weeks later...

likewise, same issue, and it is just coming up on ALL files for one particular program, all file sizes,  only , which is a few days  old..none of the uploads work, they start well for a few seconds, then fail with this same message.

likewise with 'newbie" I have no idea what this thing is about a dot on the end, how to check for that, or how to counter it.

it is going in to the same folder as all other Torrent downloads do..

please, no brief  techie-speak only solutions.I'm sure they are well-intentioned, but they add to the exasperation.

for some reason, this one download DOES seem to have created some odd folder path...but why would it do it for just the one download, when all other torrents including current ones are defaulted to a set folder and working ok?

http://thepiratebay.se/search/mistresses%20us%20s02e01/0/99/0

how do I change the destination for this one download on the list? 

Archived