How to configure utorrent with cyberghost vpn software

butterfly2010

Hello i am using cyberghost vpn software and it is working perfectly. but my problem is when i put a download in utorrent i can see my real ip address and cyberghost ip address in peerlist with port numbur. how to hide my real ip address in utorrent peer list how to solve this problem.

Try putting your external IP in settings.

Preferences > Bittorrent > "IP/Hostname to report to tracker"

yaa now i have did what you said i put external ip in Preferences > Bittorrent > "IP/Hostname to report to tracker" and now i have tested downloading torrents with my vpn software. and now my real ip address and vpn ip address is not showing in the peer list. now it is showing the external ip address what i put in Preferences > Bittorrent > "IP/Hostname to report to tracker". actually what was the problem. anybody know to correctly configure utorrent with vpn software then plzz explain.thankyou.

You do not need to do ANY of that as the IP that you see in the peer list will be in one of the 'private' ranges

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10.0.0.0/24)

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16.0.0/20)

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168.0.0/16)

That is assigned by your router DHCP server. This IP is NOT routable beyond your network so is NOT going to appear in the peer list of OTHER clients or trackers.

The ONLY TIME you need to be concerned about a local IP 'leaking' is when the Internet connection is DIRECTLY connected to the machine via a USB modem such as a mobile broadband 'dongle' or a smartphone.

If you are connected via a router, it is the EXTERNAL IP (ISP assigned) of the router that is shown in the peer list of other clients.

You do not need to do ANY of that as the IP that you see in the peer list will be in one of the 'private' ranges

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10.0.0.0/24)

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16.0.0/20)

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168.0.0/16)

That is assigned by your router DHCP server. This IP is NOT routable beyond your network so is NOT going to appear in the peer list of OTHER clients or trackers.

The ONLY TIME you need to be concerned about a local IP 'leaking' is when the Internet connection is DIRECTLY connected to the machine via a USB modem such as a mobile broadband 'dongle' or a smartphone.

If you are connected via a router, it is the EXTERNAL IP (ISP assigned) of the router that is shown in the peer list of other clients.

soo you telling that my ip address and vpn ip address appearing in the peer list only to me. others who are downloading the same torrents see only my vpns ip address when running in vpn.

but the vpn i am using told me all conections will run under this vpn software. soo can i say that my real ip address is leaking through peer list.
Yes it will and no you can't.

At your end of the VPN you see your internal IP.

At the other end the external IP is shown.

Open whatsmyip.org in a browser to see what the outside world sees as your IP.

A VPN is a tunnel and like the channel tunnel ... One end is in England ... The other end is in France.

but the vpn i am using told me all conections will run under this vpn software. soo can i say that my real ip address is leaking through peer list.
Yes it will and no you can't.

At your end of the VPN you see your internal IP.

At the other end the external IP is shown.

Open whatsmyip.org in a browser to see what the outside world sees as your IP.

A VPN is a tunnel and like the channel tunnel ... One end is in England ... The other end is in France.

ya that i know but actually why is my internel ip address showing in the peer list while running with vpn software. what causes this. and can i trust that my internel ip address is not showing in others peer list.

Question about using Cyber Ghost.

When connecting using Cyber Ghost uTorrent will sometimes go for hours saying 'connecting to peers' with no seeds. It may or may not eventually start the download hours later.

I can connect direct without Cyber Ghost and the download starts right away with seeds showing.

Have I got something configured wrong?

I can connect to other web sites with no problem using Cyber Ghost.

From the CyberGhost FAQ:

Free server bandwidth of max. 1.000 kBit/s and up to an average of 6.000 kBit/s for Premium and Premium Plus subscribers.

You need to forward uTorrent's listening port at the VPN server but there is no mention of port forward capability in the FAQ. Without this uTorrent will be permanently firewalled, which in addition to the relatively slow speeds mentioned in the FAQ would make this VPN less than ideal for torrenting.

Question about using Cyber Ghost.

When connecting using Cyber Ghost uTorrent will sometimes go for hours saying 'connecting to peers' with no seeds. It may or may not eventually start the download hours later.

I can connect direct without Cyber Ghost and the download starts right away with seeds showing.

I can connect to other web sites with no problem using Cyber Ghost.

From the CyberGhost FAQ:

Free server bandwidth of max. 1.000 kBit/s and up to an average of 6.000 kBit/s for Premium and Premium Plus subscribers.

You need to forward uTorrent's listening port at the VPN server but there is no mention of port forward capability in the FAQ. Without this uTorrent will be permanently firewalled, which in addition to the relatively slow speeds mentioned in the FAQ would make this VPN less than ideal for torrenting.

Hey @LightnLar @jsillup!

You don't need to forward anything at the VPN server, all the traffic is routed through the CyberGhost server when you are connected to it so the connection is ok. I tried it myself, connected to a Romanian server and it's working. All you need to do is not try to connect to US servers because torrents are blocked on all US servers :D

Hope it helps!

J.

Hey @LightnLar @jsillup!

You don't need to forward anything at the VPN server, all the traffic is routed through the CyberGhost server when you are connected to it so the connection is ok. I tried it myself, connected to a Romanian server and it's working. All you need to do is not try to connect to US servers because torrents are blocked on all US servers :D

Hope it helps!

Ok thanks, I will try that, it chooses the best server for me but I do have the option of choosing another one, I will give that a try, thanks.

Archived