Question About Port Forwarding/Static IP Addresses And Utorrent

NemesysEvolved

Ok so I have a rogers modem hooked up to my wireless router connecting the internet through my laptop. I read the utorrent speed guide and it said I needed to forward my port in order to get good speeds, I then realized I need to set up a static ip address. If I have a static IP Address, will I be able to connect through other local connections and use my lapy as i normally would if I leave the area of my router. I dont like playing with my ip until I research the outcome u see, I dont wanna set up this static ip only to find when I leave town, I cant connect through the wireless set up in the motel. Much thx folks.

You'll need to change settings probably when you attempt to connect to another wireless LAN.

But if you don't change settings, then most of the time on BitTorrent the download speeds you'll get will be 1/2 or less of what they could be! Even your upload speeds may suffer, though not as much. It might be especially bad on a private tracker that enforces a ratio if the only downloaders are also firewalled like you...as you wouldn't be able to upload (or download) to anyone!

You'd have to delete all the static ip entry...and reenter it again when you need it.

µTorrent can work if you don't do a static ip -- it won't even be firewalled if you bother to port-forward to the current notebook LAN ip each time.

There are tricks your router can do which make the notebook's LAN ip either change only within a small group of numbers or even remain fixed. On my router, DHCP range is only 1-10 ips and starts at a certain number.

You check your computer's LAN IP. Then you go to your router and set it to forward connections over the selected port to that IP address. Every time you restart your computer, you should check your LAN IP, just to make sure your IP didn't change. And if it did change, you have to change the port forwarding rules to forward to the changed IP address. And you have to do this all the time.

Yes, it's a lot of work trying to work with port forwarding without a static IP.

Edit: Edited for clarity, added note in italicizing.

@NemesysEvolved: It is not difficult to setup a static IP, Portforward.com explains how to do this very well. Write down or memorize the settings, then when you want to use your "lappy" somewhere else just tick "Obtain an IP address automatically" on the TCP/IP properties for your NIC (Local Area Connection icon in Network Connections). When you return simply re-enter the static IP settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived