uTorrent slows down computer alot

sahib

utorrent renders my computer almost useless during downloads. i think it has something to do with disk operations but im not sure. is anyone else experiencing this problem and is there a workaround? bit comet did not do this to my computer.

btw, its not a memory leak or anything, ram is stable at around 4-5mb and cpu around 4% while window is open.

Typically, I think it's just a very weak router that causes that. How good your router is determines how well it can handle lots of connections / fast speeds.

Are you making sure that your upload isn't set to maximum? If it's uncapped, your internet will slow down significantly. :)

I don't use router, I'm connected directly to an ADSL modem. My upload is not set to maximum, far from it. When I close uTorrent, web surfing is fast but when it's open, I have sometimes to wait 30-60 seconds to open a website. It's not normal.

• 2 years later...

I am having the same problem - when Utorrent (1.8 Beta) is running faster everything slows down - both internet and windows. On the rare occassions I get above 40KBs the PC basically stalls and I can only use it when I close down Utorrent.

I have XP Pro with AVG Professional (but use windows firewall and yes Utiorrent is allowed). I am using a Linksys WAG300n wireless router.

When I first started using Utorrent (V1.7) I had tremendous download speeds (> 100KBS - well tremendous fore here in Qatar!). Generally - I get about 20-30 KPBS (I have a 1 Mbps ADSL Connection and just cannot get that speed any higher.

The ISP (Qtel) may be blocking the download - but surely they cannot affect the speed of my PC?

Please help.

Under Device Manager (windows break, hardware tab, device manager) make sure your hard disk controllers are in DMA mode, not PIO.

Btw, 1 Mbit is 128 KiByte so 100 KBps is indeed quite nice within your max download :)

If you are STAYING @ 20 or 30 KiBps are you seeing "download limited" in the lower left? That means you need to raise your upload limit. If you have no upload limit set, then change the torrent(s) you are running at 4 or 6 KBps to a higher number.

Thanks For Reply - I Opened Other Thread Only After I Realised This One Was Vintage 2005 - Plus I Thought Of A Few More Things - Ok - I'll Stick To This One If Someone Can Help!!!!!!!

To Answer Your Reply - Yes Dms Is Enabled On All Hard Disks.

I Had Set Max Dl Speed Tp 80 Out Of Desperation - The Speed I Set For Utorrent Or Individual Torrents Has No Effect On Dl Speeds Overall (whether Its Default 0 Or 100) - Still Slow And Vary Between 10 And 30 (mostly Under 20) Which You'll Agree For A 1 Mbps Service Is Very Slow.

When I Close Utorrent - The Internet Reaction Time Improves Greatly.

I've Just Defragged My Hard Drives - Had No Effect.

Archived