Transfer a torrent from one computer to another

Aussiecubs

I have a torrent with 36 video files. I have completed the download of the first 12 files but the computer I started on no longer has access to the net. I wish to transfer the torrent and the already downloaded files to a new computer and restart the torrent on the new computer and start sharing the 12 files already downloaded and download load the next 24 files.

I started out by copying the torrent file itself to the new computer and starting utorrent. I copied the completed files into a new directory where utorrent will send the completed torrents to. I was hoping that I could get utorrent to somehow recognise the already downloaded files with the "Force Recheck" command but this is greyed out on the torrent menu and cannot be selected.

I know I could simply start the whole torrent again but I dont want to waste the files I have already downloaded. It is a small torrent and needs seeders so I was hoping to use the existing files to help get it going quickly.

Any suggestions?

You said you copied the completed files. Does that mean that you didn't copy the incomplete ones as well? I think you need to copy all of them. Also, don't copy them to the directory where completed torrents get moved to, copy them to the directory for new downloads. That's all I can think of, don't know if it helps.

first the bittorrent protocol has no idea about singel files in a multifile torrent.

all that BT and µT care about are pieces. one single piece can be spread among multiple files in this torrent.

So from µT's POV you have not completed the torrent yet. Not even with those 12 files you already have complete

Do the following; keep all the files (those that are completed and those that are not) in one directory, make sure the filenames are exactly as they were in the original torrent, when you then reload the torrentfile in µT and point it to this directory where those complete and incomplete torrents are stored that makes up the whole torrent.

Do not start it yet, do a force recheck (it is not grayed out when you are not running the torrent!) and you will see that the availability graph and downlaoded graph will get filled with those files you already have. Once it has finished checking you can start the torrent and it will only DL those missing files while seeding the pieces of those already completed files.

Utorrent Guest, Thank you for your helpful advice. I had figured out the bit about keeping the file names the same and loading them into the appropriate directories but did not understand about the need to stop the torrent in order to allow the re-check procedure to be available.

Did as suggested by you and the torrent re-checked and found all copied files and is now seeding the torrent with these files.

Thanks for saving my download quota.

Cheers from down under for the Utorrent community,

Aussiecubs

Archived